Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03   #61
Resting In Peace

Re: Windows Eight

For all those Vista haters out there...

Top ten terrible tech products | Page 10 | CNET UK
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32   #62
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Bring back the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Sure we must have one somewhere...

Planet Sinclair: Computers: ZX Spectrum

I know that lurking around the house we have somewhere a Sinclair Black Watch and an original calculator, both built from kits in the early 1970s by my other half, just before I met him. Should have known what I was letting myself in for!

Planet Sinclair: Other Products: The Black Watch

Planet Sinclair: Calculators: Cambridge

He even resembles Sir Clive and has occasionally been mistaken for him!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...an-at-work.jpg
Old 05-04-2012, 14:05   #63
Senior Member+

perhaps then you would love this site

World of Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Bring back the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Old 05-04-2012, 14:06   #64
Senior Member+

thanks susie

TBH I had just rearranged pc and speakers was unplugged. Try turning off your speakers-- The imagery speaks for itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks for that Rob - really wanted to watch the video but the guy was speaking so fast I couldn't follow what he was saying! Sounded like a record played at the wrong speed.

BTW I'm glad you didn't leave Accyweb as you threatened to - as I said before, think you have a lot to contribute.
Old 05-04-2012, 14:15   #65
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
TBH I had just rearranged pc and speakers was unplugged. Try turning off your speakers-- The imagery speaks for itself!
Great minds think alike - I was going to do that but haven't got round to it yet...
Old 05-04-2012, 20:41   #66
God Member

I still have my zx81.....

as for Win 7... just bought Julie a new laptop and as I dont have a Linux disc handy and I'm on 3G t'internet downloading one isn't an option so Win 7 it is for this week...

for goodness me, how long to get a new laptop with the software installed to a point of being useable???? took nearly 2 hours of faffing with updates, anti virus(which is only a demo so i need to get a full version installed luckily as Barclays Online Banking give free Kasperky it will be getting that but gee, what a fuss. ), firewall settings, driver updates, getting firefox installed, etc. sorry but shoving a Ubuntu disk in and I'll have a fully installed system with Full office suite, browsers, email clients, games, etc within 40 mins from power on and that includes installing the thing.

then it comes to useablility, the scroll aspect of the touchpad doesn;t do as I bid( and I use them all the time in XP at work and Linux on my devices so its not "me". I never got on with the Vista/7 new start menu, give me a cascading menu of whats there, I'll organise it myself if it gets ungainly.

suffice to say it will be Linux'd within a day of getting my hands on a disk. now the choice...

Mint - been hearing a lot of good things about this
Ububntu - the staple for many now, Unity is a challange but thats easily fixes with a classic Gnome or KDE install within a few mins.
Gentoo - my fav option but definately a little more geek
SUSE - alwasy seems a little behind the times to me
Red Hat/Fedora - a good option for me as we use Red Hat at work.

Hmmmm, I love a choice... me........

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 23:52   #67
Senior Member+

I like Unity. I am finding 12.04 Beta better than the 11.10 version
Old 06-04-2012, 00:03   #68
Senior Member+

Entwisi you might find this blog post of mine interesting....

* B U R N * D O W N * T H E * D I S C O *: XDSL-- Linux on XBOX(1)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:55   #69
Beacon of light

entwisi, it's alright for you.......you have the technical ability to choose and change your operating system.

A lot of people(like me) would not have a clue as where to start such a task.........and worry that once we have changed(that is, if we could do it) the OS might not be to our liking.

Remember most of us have grown up with Windows of one grade or another, and therefore know nothing else.

Of those you mention, I have only heard of Ubuntu and linux( and really this is only because posts by you, and AndrewB, have mentioned them in the past).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:08   #70
Senior Member+

Who's talking a foreign language?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
entwisi, it's alright for you.......you have the technical ability to choose and change your operating system.

A lot of people(like me) would not have a clue as where to start such a task.........and worry that once we have changed(that is, if we could do it) the OS might not be to our liking.

Remember most of us have grown up with Windows of one grade or another, and therefore know nothing else.

Of those you mention, I have only heard of Ubuntu and linux( and really this is only because posts by you, and AndrewB, have mentioned them in the past).
I always thought that Ubuntu was an African Tribe
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04   #72
Beacon of light

John, think you are getting confused with the Bantu tribe.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24   #73
Senior Member+

Margaret I am sure it would be easier than working vista. Only problem I have ever had with Linux is on my Dell 1520 laptop. It always seems to get the wrong driver for wireless.

Do you know how to reinstall your Windows systems? Installing from DVD is no different really. It is a very simple process. If you have a pc with two HD's or a Large HDD With 2 partitions you could install Ubuntu and it would create a dual boot for you.

If you are interested I will post a guide

Now whether or not you choose to install A linux system: It depends what kind of PC user you are.
  1. Do you heavily rely on windows programs? (adobe audition, any windowz only video editing software etc etc)
  2. Do you play PC games(ones you buy in shops) everyday?
  3. What do you use your PC for?

Ubuntu has the Libre Office built in. If you have lots of M$ documents they should work. But if you are too far gone into the world of Microsoft office.......

If you ever decide to try a Linux system. It has to be Ubuntu. Its the best one for an introduction.

Margaret. If you have a 2GB USB stick(you would have to back up the files on it). You can try out ubuntu by booting from the USB. No need to worry about losing your system and that way you get to try it out.

Entwisi is kinda right about unity-- cause he is a long time linux user and they don't like it. But ubuntu are they are making life easier for new people to help draw them in.

Switching form windows to Linux is like when you switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox-- Once you 'Get It' You never look back.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I always thought that Ubuntu was an African Tribe
I was told by my personal linux gurus(couple of Canadians from a modding forum ) that The Ubuntu team started off in Africa. Dunno if its true

Last edited by Restless; 06-04-2012 at 08:28.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:36   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
John, think you are getting confused with the Bantu tribe.
I know Margaret I was taking the you know what
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20   #75
Senior Member+

A video I made long while back. This is an older version of ubuntu. I don't bother trying for all this eye candy now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..