Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Windows Eight

My main computer is a dsektop....and runs windows 7.....a joy after vista.
My husband bought me a laptop about 3 years ago and it runs Vista.......which I hate with such a passion.
This laptop is only used very infrequently to show himself things that he might be interested in on the internet....and sometimes to access stuff for educational purposes for the children......if he had asked me before he bought it, I would have told him not to bother getting it, as I had seen the beta version of windows 7 and it looked better than vista.
I wasn't desperate for a laptop and could have waited until 7 came out.

As you know I am very cautious about changing systems.......it was bad enough changing from IE to Firefox(It made me sweat)....and yes I know it turned out to be better in the end, but you are never sure until you try it.
Thank you for your offer of guidance, it is much appreciated.

I'm not really a technical dummy, but everything I have learned has been by trial and error(mainly error) I am very reluctant to ever ask for help with anything.....I really feel that you only learn when you have to do something yourself.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43   #77
Senior Member+

Oh other Linux versions than Ubuntu might change your view a little on that one.

I might suggest that you try Ubuntu on your laptop. Make a bootable USB version and try it and see what you think. If you only use laptop for day to day use of internet. Its perfect!

I will have to make a little video. Now that I have my new phone of Ubuntu12.04 running. Its still beta but stable version is released at end of month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am very reluctant to ever ask for help with anything.....I really feel that you only learn when you have to do something yourself.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51   #78

Installing Ubuntu rather than maintaining a Windows box is a case of 30 minutes now to save hours upon hours in the future.

All software updated automatically, just type in your password and everything is done.

All software is in one place, can be installed with a single click.

No annoying firewall pop-ups.

Significantly greater protection against viruses and some social engineering attacks.

Unity can be frustrating to linux old-boys but the non-techies I've shown it too find it way more intuitive than they ever did gnome.

I've put my "in-laws" on Ubuntu to give them a shiny, working, quicker-than-windows box that I don't have to go over and fix every time they click on something they shouldn't.

The idea of buying a new laptop or paying over £100 to get Windows 7 rather than spending 30 minutes to put Ubuntu on the box first is a decision made by someone who must have plenty of cash to spare.

Oh, and Entwi - if you go for Mint let me know how it gets on - I've tried to put it on three different boxes and I've never been able to get it to install from a flash drive.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:13   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Installing Ubuntu rather than maintaining a Windows box is a case of 30 minutes now to save hours upon hours in the future.

All software updated automatically, just type in your password and everything is done.

All software is in one place, can be installed with a single click.

No annoying firewall pop-ups.

Significantly greater protection against viruses and some social engineering attacks.

Unity can be frustrating to linux old-boys but the non-techies I've shown it too find it way more intuitive than they ever did gnome.

I've put my "in-laws" on Ubuntu to give them a shiny, working, quicker-than-windows box that I don't have to go over and fix every time they click on something they shouldn't.

The idea of buying a new laptop or paying over £100 to get Windows 7 rather than spending 30 minutes to put Ubuntu on the box first is a decision made by someone who must have plenty of cash to spare.

Oh, and Entwi - if you go for Mint let me know how it gets on - I've tried to put it on three different boxes and I've never been able to get it to install from a flash drive.
That's all well and good Sam, from previous posts I've sussed that your quite young (well in comparison to me that is)and have grown up computer savvy, I'm to long in the tooth to change really and only know where the on button is on my computer but I don't have that much trouble really, so I'm quite happy to cart on
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02   #80
God Member

Sam, for none techies like your relatives, put the update process into the root crontab so they never even need to know it's happening. choose a time they are likely to be on it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32   #81
Senior Member+

Sam could be younger. By oldboys he means they aren't "n00bs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That's all well and good Sam, from previous posts I've sussed that your quite young (well in comparison to me that is)and have grown up computer savvy, I'm to long in the tooth to change really and only know where the on button is on my computer but I don't have that much trouble really, so I'm quite happy to cart on
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My main computer is a dsektop....and runs windows 7.....a joy after vista.
My husband bought me a laptop about 3 years ago and it runs Vista.......which I hate with such a passion.
I never liked Vista myself but what is it about it that you hate so much?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:54   #83
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I guess you only ever use your PC the internet so it would be almost the same for you.

Linux is useless for me because it wont run the applications I use.
The whole family use Microsoft Office at work/school and it would be stupid to make them use Office at work/school and some Linux program that tries to be Office at home.
Old 07-04-2012, 13:08   #84
God Member

Do they "really use" Office or do they use a word processor/spreadsheet... How many advanced features do they use that say Libre office doesn't have?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 13:17   #85
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I never liked Vista myself but what is it about it that you hate so much?
It isn't user friendly and I find it difficult to navigate....now that makes me sound a bit like a numpty, but I'm not. It just feels like something that is 'unfinished'.
I can't explain it better than that. I hated it from the moment I switched it on........I never felt like that about any other OS....and I hadn't read bad reviews about it to colour my own opinion.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:08   #86

Quote:
Never to old to learn, my girlfriend's grandma is a Photoshop genius.

Fair enough if you are not interested enough to want to try it I totally understand that, but what I was trying to say, perhaps not too well having been up since the small hours as I'm on call with work, was that if you were to put the initial effort in to get you're head around a relatively simple install process the amount of maintenance required is almost non-existent in comparison with a Windows machine, meaning a lot less stress and effort in the long run.

Linux has always been the best option for the power users but more and more it's becoming the best choice for someone who doesn't give a damn about what they have on their computer they just want to be able to get on the internet.

Entwisi - good shout on the root crontab idea - I've also been thinking on getting relatives to install some RDP software so I can just remote log onto their machines rather than having to travel back to Lancashire - know of any good solutions ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:23   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I guess you only ever use your PC the internet so it would be almost the same for you.

Linux is useless for me because it wont run the applications I use.
The whole family use Microsoft Office at work/school and it would be stupid to make them use Office at work/school and some Linux program that tries to be Office at home.
I have Microsoft word Neil but don't bother with the full works now, but I did at one time, but as you say I only ever use my PC for the Internet
Old 07-04-2012, 14:27   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Never to old to learn, my girlfriend's grandma is a Photoshop genius.

Fair enough if you are not interested enough to want to try it I totally understand that, but what I was trying to say, perhaps not too well having been up since the small hours as I'm on call with work, was that if you were to put the initial effort in to get you're head around a relatively simple install process the amount of maintenance required is almost non-existent in comparison with a Windows machine, meaning a lot less stress and effort in the long run.

Linux has always been the best option for the power users but more and more it's becoming the best choice for someone who doesn't give a damn about what they have on their computer they just want to be able to get on the internet.

Entwisi - good shout on the root crontab idea - I've also been thinking on getting relatives to install some RDP software so I can just remote log onto their machines rather than having to travel back to Lancashire - know of any good solutions ?
I must have some of that software on my Laptop Sam as a little indian can remote log onto my machine from India
Old 07-04-2012, 14:27   #89
Resting In Peace

I'm sure someone posted a link on Accyweb in the last few days to a download which enabled you to change the wallpaper on Windows 7 starter.

I've just done it and got my own wallpaper up and I wanted to thank whoever posted the link- but I can't find the post! Thought it might have been you Rob - or was I dreaming?? Might have to have a rethink!

Anyway, if it was someone on Accyweb - thanks!!
Old 07-04-2012, 15:41   #90
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I'm sure someone posted a link on Accyweb in the last few days to a download which enabled you to change the wallpaper on Windows 7 starter.

I've just done it and got my own wallpaper up and I wanted to thank whoever posted the link- but I can't find the post! Thought it might have been you Rob - or was I dreaming?? Might have to have a rethink!

Anyway, if it was someone on Accyweb - thanks!!
Panic over... just remembered where I got the link for the download - it was in an Amazon review of my netbook, not on Accyweb at all!

Memo to self - put brain in gear before posting!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..