Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 21:12   #106
God Member

Re: Windows Eight

and best of all most of them are doing it in Linux....

seriously, My wife(buttonsmum) is not technical and never wants to be so but has been Linux'd for 3 years or so and has never had an issue, never suffers from updates messing stuff up, never has to faff with anti virus/malware/firewall/software updates going wrong, it just "works"....

margaret/Jaysay/anyone in local hyndburn, if you want a demo of Linux I'm more than happy to demo it to prove its not some techo magic geek fest, and I'm sure Restless and SamF would be too... I'll also offer to install it(Ubuntu as a start) ALONGSIDE your Windows system so you can have a play without any risk as you would only need to restart and choose Windows at the new boot menu and you will have exactly what you have now(Restless/SamF please feel free to offer as well and we can no doubt cover the hyndburn area easily between us, any other Linux advocates feel free to shout up here or via PM).

(NOTE, there are a couple of anti-Linux trolls on Accyweb who will obviously be excluded from this offer, I'm happy to spend my time in useful education but have little enough spare time to waste it with people I know are just loooking to take the pee.)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2012, 21:32   #107
Senior Member+

Im relatively new to linux(10.04 was just out when i started) I think unity is better for new users to be honest than the previous gnome2. The only driver I have had to look for/had problems with is on the dell laptop I have; the Inspiron 1520. It installs the wrong driver and there is a bit of messing around to get it working.

I suggested that Margaret try booting from USB stick to see if she likes the look of it.

Entwisi-- are you on the 12.04 beta? Do you install gnome3 rather than keeping to unity?
Old 07-04-2012, 22:10   #108
Beacon of light

Thankyou for that offer Ian. It is very kind of you to offer. I am probably going to have a go at installing it alongside Windows Vista(spit) when the tinlids go back to school and I have more time to myself.(I have Ubuntu on a USB stick)
The instructions for doing this seem fairly clear and straightforward.....and don't laugh at me when I say this....it will give my ego a huge boost if I manage to do this without any help(other than the instructions).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 22:44   #109
Senior Member+

Margaret-- The only worry I have about you doing this is if you did something wrong and you wiped vista (of course by doing this you would have a better operating system installed) Just make sure no files are on the computer that you need. Make sure they are backed up. That way nothing is lost.

Remember you can't break a computer by installing an OS.

I really doubt this will happen because the easier option on the installer does all the work for you. I think you just use a slider to choose how big you want the vista to be. I am not sure since I use the advanced option.

Also. If you managed to use that USB installer program to create the Ubuntu USB installer without accidentally copying it to C drive(some people may actually make that mistake, though the program tries its best to single out the flash drives) I am sure you will be fine
Old 08-04-2012, 01:32   #110
Senior Member+

UGH used windows 8 for a little while to build a USB installer...to install ubuntu12.04

Here is a video I took of it(apologies for the lower quality--I dont know what went wrong here)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:42   #111
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Margaret-- The only worry I have about you doing this is if you did something wrong and you wiped vista (of course by doing this you would have a better operating system installed) Just make sure no files are on the computer that you need. Make sure they are backed up. That way nothing is lost.

Remember you can't break a computer by installing an OS.

I really doubt this will happen because the easier option on the installer does all the work for you. I think you just use a slider to choose how big you want the vista to be. I am not sure since I use the advanced option.

Also. If you managed to use that USB installer program to create the Ubuntu USB installer without accidentally copying it to C drive(some people may actually make that mistake, though the program tries its best to single out the flash drives) I am sure you will be fine

If I accidentally wiped Vista(it would be serendipity)....then it wouldn't be a great hardship.
I have duplicates of most of my files on an external hard drive......and I don't think there is much of anything in the way of documents because I only use the thing so infrequently.

I will follow the instructions for using Ubuntu alongside a windows program - these are given quite clearly.......so I'm not hoping to get into any trouble......however that doesn't mean to say I won't get into trouble.....and if that happens I know there are folk on here who would (perhaps) smile and then sort me out.

I have to try though.........because you never know what you can do until you try....and as I said it would boost my ego.

So many people are happy to go through life allowing others to do things for them, and in the process, they miss opportunities to test themsleves and to learn something new.

Not my way.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29   #112
God Member

If you choose an evening to do it that I'm not already out I'll be happy to be "on call" via phone or instant messaging in case you have any questions our just want to check something.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:37   #113
Beacon of light

Thank you Ian.......that is really kind.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
and best of all most of them are doing it in Linux....

seriously, My wife(buttonsmum) is not technical and never wants to be so but has been Linux'd for 3 years or so and has never had an issue, never suffers from updates messing stuff up, never has to faff with anti virus/malware/firewall/software updates going wrong, it just "works"....

margaret/Jaysay/anyone in local hyndburn, if you want a demo of Linux I'm more than happy to demo it to prove its not some techo magic geek fest, and I'm sure Restless and SamF would be too... I'll also offer to install it(Ubuntu as a start) ALONGSIDE your Windows system so you can have a play without any risk as you would only need to restart and choose Windows at the new boot menu and you will have exactly what you have now(Restless/SamF please feel free to offer as well and we can no doubt cover the hyndburn area easily between us, any other Linux advocates feel free to shout up here or via PM).

(NOTE, there are a couple of anti-Linux trolls on Accyweb who will obviously be excluded from this offer, I'm happy to spend my time in useful education but have little enough spare time to waste it with people I know are just loooking to take the pee.)
In regards to this I'm always happy to help people out so by all means if anyone needs any help give me a shout - with me it would have to be via Phone or IM as I've moved to Derbyshire so it would be a bit impractical to make a house call.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:49   #115
Senior Member+

most certainly!!

Yes it would be Serendipity. Perhaps you should just wipe vista completely. If you hate Linux you could always 'borrow' Jaysay's win7 disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If I accidentally wiped Vista(it would be serendipity)....then it wouldn't be a great hardship.
I have duplicates of most of my files on an external hard drive......and I don't think there is much of anything in the way of documents because I only use the thing so infrequently.

I will follow the instructions for using Ubuntu alongside a windows program - these are given quite clearly.......so I'm not hoping to get into any trouble......however that doesn't mean to say I won't get into trouble.....and if that happens I know there are folk on here who would (perhaps) smile and then sort me out.

I have to try though.........because you never know what you can do until you try....and as I said it would boost my ego.

So many people are happy to go through life allowing others to do things for them, and in the process, they miss opportunities to test themsleves and to learn something new.

Not my way.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52   #116
Beacon of light

I must have a Win 7 disc somewhere, as my desktop runs Win 7.
Is it legal to 'borrow' a disc from another computer...or is the program registered to your ISP number.......these are the things I am unsure about.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:00   #117
Senior Member+

See why I use Linux Margaret ? With all the money people spend on pre built pc's where Vista was part of the package IE you paid for it, there is no justification for m$ to charge so much for their product-- Especially in this stage of the company development.

I just looked at this and apparently you can only install it on one computer. I guess they will have a way of knowing if 2 computers are running at the same time with one Key. Its prob not subjective to IP address. If you had your tower and your laptop on at the same time. Somehow they would know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m$
How many Computers Can You Install One License On?
If you purchase one (1) retail Windows 7 edition, you may install and activate just one (1) installation at a time. You will need to buy a second license/key to activate a second Windows 7 installation at the same time. There is no discount on a second license if you already have a license.
Windows 7 includes a 32 and 64 bit disk - you can only have one installed per key.
They dont even offer a discount. M$ are above themselves.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01   #118
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Do they "really use" Office or do they use a word processor/spreadsheet... How many advanced features do they use that say Libre office doesn't have?
What features they use does not matter, I want them using the the same thing they use at school, they have enough to learn without needed to use 2 different word processors.

I use other software that is not available for Windows.
Old 08-04-2012, 15:08   #119
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What features they use does not matter, I want them using the the same thing they use at school, they have enough to learn without needed to use 2 different word processors.

I use other software that is not available for Windows.
I think it sensible to use whatever they are using at school. no point confusing them or making life more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:45   #120
God Member

Hmmm. I see it a different way, that art of writing stories etc is in the mind, the person/child knows what they want to write. The tool that they use is secondary. By sticking with just one option you are re-enforcing that one at the expense of flexibility in your childs mind. what will happen that day that they dont have Office 2010 in front of them, look at the number of people who struggled hugely when MS brought in the "Ribbon" interface... by encouraging use of different tools you bring a natural ability of being flexible into the mind of the person. Word processors are never " a million miles " different. the button might have a slightly different icon, or the option is on a different menu drop down, its 99% likely to be called the same and lets be honest 90% of people dont even know how to use Paragraph formatting properly and that was in the first versions of Word.

in my case my core skill is in IBM WebSphere Application server, yet when asked to work on WebLogic/Oracle application Server/JBOSS etc I'm comfortable in doing so as they do the "same job", config might be stored in a different way, the consoles will be set up differently but thats just fluff around the side, I know what options I want, I just need to find it which might take a couple of seconds to do. Some others I know would run a mile rather than even try and use the alternatives. I want my children to have that "get on and do it" mentality and that comes by not being phased by the tool in front of them.

YMMV of course and we are all entitled to our own opinion and choice, mine happens to be one of encouraging the flexibility and core skill not the fluffy bits of the toolset involved.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..