Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 18:57   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Windows Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
most certainly!!

Yes it would be Serendipity. Perhaps you should just wipe vista completely. If you hate Linux you could always 'borrow' Jaysay's win7 disc
Ya no problem with that Restless
Old 09-04-2012, 23:15   #122
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Hmmm. I see it a different way, that art of writing stories etc is in the mind, the person/child knows what they want to write. The tool that they use is secondary. By sticking with just one option you are re-enforcing that one at the expense of flexibility in your childs mind. what will happen that day that they dont have Office 2010 in front of them, look at the number of people who struggled hugely when MS brought in the "Ribbon" interface... by encouraging use of different tools you bring a natural ability of being flexible into the mind of the person. Word processors are never " a million miles " different. the button might have a slightly different icon, or the option is on a different menu drop down, its 99% likely to be called the same and lets be honest 90% of people dont even know how to use Paragraph formatting properly and that was in the first versions of Word.
I've been using Word for ten years, for the first five of those I used it constantly in my job so I could almost use it in my sleep. I've just got Windows 7 and I find that damned ribbon irritating in the extreme - it takes me longer to find the functions than to write anything. I resent being slowed down like that by something I did not ask for and saw no reason to change. OK I'm an old fart but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's frustrated by it.
Old 09-04-2012, 23:33   #123
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I've been using Word for ten years, for the first five of those I used it constantly in my job so I could almost use it in my sleep. I've just got Windows 7 and I find that damned ribbon irritating in the extreme - it takes me longer to find the functions than to write anything. I resent being slowed down like that by something I did not ask for and saw no reason to change. OK I'm an old fart but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's frustrated by it.
Are you now using Office 2010 and that is what you find frustrating? That is not down to Windows 7, its the application you are using.
Old 09-04-2012, 23:49   #124
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you now using Office 2010 and that is what you find frustrating? That is not down to Windows 7, its the application you are using.
Yes of course you're right Neil, it's Office 2010, came loaded on my new netbook along with Win 7. Sorry... it's getting late!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03   #125
God Member

Why not try Libre office then Susie? It's free so at worst it will cost you a hour or two of your time.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:25   #126
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Why not try Libre office then Susie? It's free so at worst it will cost you a hour or two of your time.
Could do but... My point is, just because I have a new computer, I don't want to have to cope with a new word processor when I was happy with my old one.

I see your point in a previous post about being open to new things but in this case it's not for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24   #127
Beacon of light

Many of the new operating systems fail to recognise/will not run some older programs.
I had a program to make my own greetings cards...it was brilliant, easy to use and easy to navigate. I updated my computer, got a new OS and even these saved projects cannot be opened anymore because the new OS doesn't run the old program.

When they bring out something newer it is always more complex...even though the old stuff was perfectly adequate, and did the job........see, Susie....I'm turning into a BOF too!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:09   #128
God Member

@Susie, Libre office is like the old version you miss, proper menus and buttons.

@Margaret, you can often run these old programs in a compatibility mode, have you tried that?

Old 10-04-2012, 15:52   #129
Beacon of light

I haven't Ian, but the program I wanted to run, was not compatible with Windows 7 when I checked on the Microsoft website.
Old 10-04-2012, 17:29   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I haven't Ian, but the program I wanted to run, was not compatible with Windows 7 when I checked on the Microsoft website.
There will be ways around it - even if it means running it through a Virtual machine - would I be right in guessing the program you are referring to is Greetings Workshop ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:47   #131
Beacon of light

No it was a Microsoft publishing program....I forget the name of it now....but it was really good in that you could incorporate your own pictures, change the sizes of the cards and do all manner of things.....it worked perfectly well with XP......but not with Windows 7.

Hang on it has just come back to me...it was part of Picture It publishing (which was part of Works Suite 2001- I told you it was old) It did all the things I wanted.
I saved lots of projects and now they cannot be opened.(I did lots of stuff for the Hospital when I was working.......memorial cards and such...all different and personal to the parents of lost babies)

I know things move on, but you would think that there would be some kind of program that would allow for backwards continuity. Perhaps I expect too much.

I have never heard of Virtual Machine.

I bought a Hallmark Greetings Card program and it isn't a patch on the Microsoft Picture It Publishing.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03   #132
Resting In Peace

Quote:
@Susie, Libre office is like the old version you miss, proper menus and buttons.

@Margaret, you can often run these old programs in a compatibility mode, have you tried that?
Thanks for that Ian I have downloaded Libre Office and it does look more like what I am used to. No sign of that pesky ribbon!

Haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29   #133
God Member

Margaret, a virtual machine is a program you instal that pretends to be a computer"within" your computer. The benefit is that it can run any other OS within it. So you can have a windows XP "computer" running within win 7. Thus you could have your picture it program running on XP within your new win 7 laptop.

I use Oracle Virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/ at work to practice stuff on so I can't break anything real. In my case I run a Linux virtual machine on my works windows laptop.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45   #134
Beacon of light

Thanks Ian...that is worth knowing. I will look into it.
Old 12-04-2012, 20:23   #135
Senior Member+

Grrrrr where my cpu fan clips onto the board; part of it broke off when I was downstairs Decided 2 days later to have a look at accyweb on my HTPC via the 40" TV(if you use windows on TV try KYLO Browser-- Its great!)....

...so back on topic.

Yeah virtualbox is a cool program. Margaret-- Its another option you could use to try linux and see if you like it.

Also anybody can use it to perhaps try windows8(truly back on topic) on whatever machine they have; since its cross platform.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..