Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 12:28   #1
Rest in Peace

Windows XP The Countdown Begins

On April 8th 2014 Microsoft will end all support for Windows XP. that means no more updates, it also means that any new software probably won't run on XP. Of course Windows XP isn't going to stop working on that date but it means that the XP computer becomes much more vulnerable to malware attacks, and increasingly difficult to equip with compatible hardware and software.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2013, 14:13   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Windows XP The Countdown Begins

Silly to still use it anyway. I wonder if that means next year they will finally upgrade at work... I hope so.... it might actually force them to buy new pcs too. Working on a P4 machine is a pain in you know whatsi
Old 12-04-2013, 14:29   #3
God Member

not really that big a worry regarding malware as long as you keep your malware and antivirus up to date

it is inevitable that eventually people will have to buy a new system if they want to play teh latest games or use the newest software but theres no need to replace a system if it is doing what you want

already on xp you cany use the latest internet explorer but the old one still works fine and if it dosnt the newest firefox still works on xp

i know someone who was running windows 2000 right up until the launch of windows 7 because he didnt like xp or vista
Less, jaysay and Restless like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:22   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
not really that big a worry regarding malware as long as you keep your malware and antivirus up to date

it is inevitable that eventually people will have to buy a new system if they want to play teh latest games or use the newest software but theres no need to replace a system if it is doing what you want

already on xp you cany use the latest internet explorer but the old one still works fine and if it dosnt the newest firefox still works on xp

i know someone who was running windows 2000 right up until the launch of windows 7 because he didnt like xp or vista
One of my computers is still running on DO 6, the other is Win XP service 3 & the updates have been off for over 12 months, never used XP anti virus, I use malwarebytes, another has Win 7 on it but have'nt been able to use it properly, because win explore won't display & print my picture collection as I'm used to, in fact in the past 12 months its only had about 3 hours running time, gave it to my daughter once, she gave it back, said it was a bag of shiite. I don't have any games on the computers other than what came with the original programs.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-04-2013 at 18:24.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:43   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
One of my computers is still running on DO 6, the other is Win XP service 3 & the updates have been off for over 12 months, never used XP anti virus, I use malwarebytes, another has Win 7 on it but have'nt been able to use it properly, because win explore won't display & print my picture collection as I'm used to, in fact in the past 12 months its only had about 3 hours running time, gave it to my daughter once, she gave it back, said it was a bag of shiite. I don't have any games on the computers other than what came with the original programs.
Can't imagine any of your lovely daughters saying that Walter
Restless likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 22:23   #6
God Member

use the compatible selection.
Old 12-04-2013, 23:02   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
Is this reply meant for me, if so where the ek is this compatable thingy.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 23:19   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
I think Stanley is talking about compatibilty Mode, allowing older programs to run on newer operating systems.
Compatibility Mode - Windows 7 Help Forums
Just realised i`ve linked to another forum, if this isn`t allowed then i apologise.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 23:32   #9
God Member

or press start go to search programs and files type in program compatibility run programs made for previous versions of windows press next and choose which program.
Old 12-04-2013, 23:44   #10
Senior Member+

what you missed cmon is the whole of win7 is incompatible for retlaw
jaysay likes this.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:11   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
what you missed cmon is the whole of win7 is incompatible for retlaw
Ah I see you know him too Rob
Restless likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 09:14   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ah I see you know him too Rob
Don't show him windows 8
Old 13-04-2013, 10:40   #13
God Member

win 8 has no buisness been installed on a computer especially a pc tower its purely set up for tablets and touch screen phones

but with a couple of tweaks you can fix microsofts ignorance lol
Restless likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 10:48   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Don't show him windows 8
Bought the Witch a lappy for her Birthday & Windows 8 was on it, can't say that I'm over impressed with it, it just seems to ungainly to me, but then again as far as CP technology goes I'm not really that literate to be honest.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:52   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Bought the Witch a lappy for her Birthday & Windows 8 was on it, can't say that I'm over impressed with it, it just seems to ungainly to me, but then again as far as CP technology goes I'm not really that literate to be honest.
Don't brag about it.Yer no-where near as numb as me.
Less, jaysay and DaveinGermany like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..