Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2012, 16:58   #31
Senior Member+

VLC is good choice. Cause of the variety of supported codecs. I like xbmc. You require plugins but worth it for a tv pc (htpc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
There is a lot better than Real Player, try VLC,
Anything is better than Real Player... That includes Windows own media player.... which is positively awful
Boeing Guy likes this.

Last edited by Restless; 29-12-2012 at 17:03.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2012, 17:07   #32
JFT96

Re: You Tube Downloads!

Absolutely could not agree more, I hated Real Player, I had no idea it was still out there, it also makes QuickTime look good...lol

I will check out Xbmc, cheers.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 17:45   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
I will check out Xbmc, cheers.
There is an android version now

Here is a video of a version of it running on the RaspberryPI... of course runs much better on a pc that is powerful....... but for £20-30....

Old 29-12-2012, 17:56   #34
Senior Member+

things happening in the video
1) Booting
2) Browsing music files(unreleased concerts) on my externalHD
3) Playing High Quality FLAC Audio
4) Browsing backed up TV shows. XBMC Scrapes the info, artwork etc
5) Browsing youtube (stealth cat video)
6) Proof I own the Red Dwarf DVDs
7) What the R:PI looks like
Old 29-12-2012, 18:23   #35
JFT96

Now that is nice, the xbmc looks good as well!

I may just have to get a raspberry, takes me back to my Commodore Pet days.

Old 29-12-2012, 18:46   #36
Senior Member+

You'll love it. They are cheap as chips too. They run Linux based operating systems from memory card. So a fully working computer for under £30! (Tho not so powerful)
Old 31-12-2012, 15:19   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
VLC is good choice. Cause of the variety of supported codecs. I like xbmc. You require plugins but worth it for a tv pc (htpc)

Anything is better than Real Player... That includes Windows own media player.... which is positively awful
I tried VLC and I didn't like it. Real Player is good and is easy to use - people have different tastes I found VLC rubbish but I don't bleat on about it!

The issue is previously - the last time was round March 2012 I could download countless video's off You Tube and they have changed it - why? For the reason I stated - to keep people logged onto Youtube for longer! That is one reason there are probably others... they have increased advertisements on video's this last year also - which are nearly on every video - before they were less frequent!

Last edited by kestrelx; 31-12-2012 at 15:23.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 15:36   #38
Beacon of light

I rarely download videos, but my daughters little boy is mad keen on Skylanders and he wanted a video downloading to put on his mini laptop(he isn't allowed on the internet)
I downloaded a short sequence(it was the Skylanders Advert) using DWP helper(this was before I found out it was not legal to do so...or that it contravened the terms of usage)......it was very easy to do, and I was able to put it on his mini laptop.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 15:44   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
There is a lot better than Real Player, try VLC, it's a whole world better and it's free etc.
Both Margaret and I have given you names of download software, if you do download copyrighted material, then that is illegal.
Both those are free and you can choose a output format.

If you had googled download you tube you would have had a answer almost immediately.

Sounds like you want to have a whinge about YouTube
No not really I wanted to know if others had the same problem? Or if it was somthing on my computer that was wrong? It seems there is no one present who has used Real Player to this extent and has previously downloaded music video's of all kinds from You Tube without restriction - which I have done time after time. No restrictions on copyright on some songs and I mean material that is well known uploaded by people other than the record labels. This could be under threat also.
Old 31-12-2012, 15:51   #40
JFT96

If you want to download off YouTube, then there are plenty of solutions out there. Whether or not its illegal is another matter, the choice is yours.

I am supprised you did not like VLC player, it is very simple, I am afraid real player fans are fairly rare.
The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time | PCWorld
Restless likes this.

Old 31-12-2012, 15:57   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you want to download off YouTube, then there are plenty of solutions out there. Whether or not its illegal is another matter, the choice is yours.

I am supprised you did not like VLC player, it is very simple, I am afraid real player fans are fairly rare.
The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time | PCWorld
I've downloaded loads of songs and interviews and talks off their, as I stated I often (prior to around March 2012) downloaded video after video for hours with out using any other software other than the facility that has now been disabled on You Tube. Just at the click of a mouse. They have taken that away - obviously to restrict what people can access off line! Thanks for the list.
Old 31-12-2012, 17:21   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I tried VLC and I didn't like it. Real Player is good and is easy to use - people have different tastes I found VLC rubbish but I don't bleat on about it!
I stopped using realplayer when they were caught out spying on users and sending information about your usage back to them.

They supposedly stopped doing it after being caught out but I have not trusted them since.
Old 31-12-2012, 17:22   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The issue is previously - the last time was round March 2012 I could download countless video's off You Tube and they have changed it - why? For the reason I stated - to keep people logged onto Youtube for longer! That is one reason there are probably others... they have increased advertisements on video's this last year also - which are nearly on every video - before they were less frequent!
It is a free to you service and they are now making money from adverts that they try to make you watch. If you just download everything you wont watch ads and they wont be able to provide the service.
Old 01-01-2013, 15:02   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
My 'bleating about it' is just advice for anyone reading to keep their PC as clean as possible. I don't particularly like its looks, though I think you can skin it. Its not about looks though. Its about file compatibility and the vast amount of files it will play. I download a fair bit of bootleg concerts (*roio*) and over the years they come in all kinds of weird formats. For example.. VIDEO_TS folders. Just right click and press "play in VLC" I can't think of any other programs that do that...off top of my head that is.

Well. For my media, I have a PC (HTPC) setup to my TV that boots to XBMC. I don't bother much with programs on my main machine to play music etc etc.

Because of storage limitation; I have thrown all the jewel cases from my CD's and I keep them in those DJ boxes. I rip all my CD's to FLAC and store them on the HTPC. XBMC scrapes the info for artists, albums, artwork and etc. You can get plugins that connect to sites like Grooveshark, Youtube... etc....XBMC can be quite excellent

Before anyone asks what ROIO is...

**The alternate terms ROIO or RoIO, an acronym meaning "Recording of Indeterminate Origin", or "Recording of Independent Origin", and VOIO or VoIO, an acronym meaning "Video of Indeterminate Origin", or "Video of Independent Origin", arose among Pink Floyd collectors trying to clarify the differences between counterfeits, illegally made copies, live bootlegs, and "ROIOs", meaning recordings whose legal status was difficult or even impossible to determine**
Old 01-01-2013, 19:42   #45
JFT96

You know, I have been using VLC player for so long, I forgot how easy it is.
I am in the same position, I have hundreds if not thousands of Pink Floyd downloads as well as Marillion and other prog rock.
How anyone can use something that is essentially bloat ware is beyond me.
FLAC is such a godsend, at least you can store music digitally without losing anything in compression.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..