Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Gaming Forum
Donate! Join Today

Gaming Forum Talk about the latest PS2, xbox or whatever systems and our own classics!!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2003, 13:19   #1
adi

Post Xbox or Gamecube?

Im not sure whether to buy my brother an Xbox or a Gamecube for Xmas, what do you think?

Ive got a Gamecube myself and I think they are good but you dont seem to get as many of the 'top titles' on the system.

Just wondering what people think of the Xbox?
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2003, 13:34   #2
Resting in Peace

Post Re: Xbox or Gamecube?

never used one i have a ps2 ;D
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 14:41   #3
Roy
Administrator

xbox is great! never played on the gamecube so couldn't compare.  If yopu've got a gamecube then surely its in your interest to get him one of them so you can both swap games ;D  
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 17:41   #4
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I've had this arguement at work, the gamecube is my favourite and for gameplay won the arguement. It's true there are more games available for the PS2 and it can be used as a DVD but it depends if you need that option. XBOX was recommended but i've never used one.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:08   #5
adi

we have both got PS2's so the DVD option isn't a problem.

as for swaping games Roy - it would be in MY best interest but if the Xbox is better then obviously it would make a better present.

is there anywhere in town where I could try out an Xbox?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:36   #6
Resting in Peace

try asking in game they might let you try if not the blackburn branch has one set up
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:47   #7
adi

cheers Mick - i'll have a word with them and see what they say.

if the worse comes to the worst, i'll just ask my brother which one he prefers - but then that ruins the surprise.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:48   #8
adi

how do you find the games on the Xbox Roy?

I know they have all the 'top titles' unlike the gamecube.  ???
Old 05-11-2003, 12:51   #9

I have a gamecube, just got it for Mario Sunshine  [smiley=yoshi.gif] and it was on offer.  All the new games that come out never come out for the gamecube, it bugs!  :'(
Dizzy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 14:36   #10
Roy
Administrator

the games are excellent, although I haven't bought a new one for probably a year or so. I am happy with fifa 2003 (although rubbish at it)!! I use it as a DVD player more than a games machine! I also have a PS2 and have to say the xbox is the one wired to the telly most of the time.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 21:35   #11
Accy Red

[quote author=Dizzy_D link=board=gaming;num=1067872799;start=0#8 date=11/05/03 at 14:51:25] All the new games that come out never come out for the gamecube, it bugs! :'([/quote]
It depends what games you want, no probs with Fifa etc, and remember there are quite a few games that are exclusive to the gamecube, Zelda for one is worth buying a cube for alone.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23   #12
adi

Does anyone know when MarioKart is being released on the Gamecube? Ive read the reviews but dont know the release date
Old 11-11-2003, 15:45   #13
Annefairley

Hi I have to disagree with the gay that thinks the xbox is better then the PS2 it is not,it depends on what your bother main interest is and what he will do with is console, if he want to take it to is mates and play with them then I would without a doubt rule out the XBOX because it is very heavy and cumbersome,I have a PS2 and an XBOX and I have used a Gamecube if your bother likes the sort of game you get on a gamecube then it is the best one for him, but to be honest I thought it was rubbish and the XBOX doesn't do anything the PS2 doesn't do but you can Play DVD's right from opening the box on your PS2 but you have to buy thr Remote control for the XBOX at another £20 so it is your choice.
Old 11-11-2003, 16:32   #14
Accy Red

MarioKart is being released on the Gamecube 14th November.

Old 11-11-2003, 16:40   #15

Well now then.

I own an Xbox, a PS2 and a Gamecube. What a greedy git eh?

I have to say that I play most on the Xbox, simply because I think the games look, sound and play the best. It seems a lot more adult than the other two, especially the Gamecube. Not only that but you don't need a memory card for Xbox, it has a hard-drive. Also Xbox has Xbox Live, which is the most fun I've had playing games in years - and they were just the demo games! Being able to blow someone up spectacularly whilst baiting them through the headset is great. Mechassault is a must if you have an Xbox with Live.

I'm selling my PS2, might sell my gamecube, but my Xbox is there for keeps.

Oh and if you Xbox is chipped you can run game emulators which will play old arcade machines, Nintendo64 games, Amiga, Spectrum, NES, SNES, Megadrive, C64 games. So all those old game systems you had, you can have them again like a little VG library.

Game once had Fifa 2003 running on all 3 machines side by side. PS2 looked the worst. Gamecube looked a bit blocky but better than PS2. And Xbox looked so smooth. The resolution is very good.

I can't recommend the Xbox enough. My girlfriend is getting me Starwars: Knights of the Old Republic for Christmas - can't wait for Dec 25th

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..