Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2013, 22:16   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Bert Trautman R.I.P.

Football today lost one of its true characters at 89 yrs of age, arguably one of the best keepers the british game has seen. Seen him play a few times,n can say they don't come much better. R.I.P. Fella.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 19-07-2013, 22:36   #2

Re: Bert Trautman R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Football today lost one of its true characters at 89 yrs of age, arguably one of the best keepers the british game has seen. Seen him play a few times,n can say they don't come much better. R.I.P. Fella.
Did you see him play at Peel Park?
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 01:38   #3
Full Member+

Rest in Peace Bert....

His actions in that cup Final against Brum in '56 with his broken neck make a mockery of all the clowns in today's modern game, who now roll around like they've been shot when they get tackled !!
Eric likes this.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 05:57   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Did you see him play at Peel Park?
No irene, Maine Rd n Ewood, he played on till 1964.
Old 20-07-2013, 07:05   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Rest in Peace Bert....

His actions in that cup Final against Brum in '56 with his broken neck make a mockery of all the clowns in today's modern game, who now roll around like they've been shot when they get tackled !!
I remember watching that game on tv ... in full, living black and white, massive 12 inch screen Great keeper ... saw him play a couple of times.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 07:43   #6

He came to England as a German Prisoner of War. I think he may even have been at the Camp in Stanhill. I've certainly seen him featured in TV programmes on the subject.

Last edited by Judith Addison; 20-07-2013 at 07:43. Reason: spelling mistake
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 07:57   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
He came to England as a German Prisoner of War. I think he may even have been at the Camp in Stanhill. I've certainly seen him featured in TV programmes on the subject.
Think it was a camp oer St Helens way Judith?
Old 20-07-2013, 08:14   #8

Quote:
No irene, Maine Rd n Ewood, he played on till 1964.
The reason i asked you that Cashey, was that my husband had some reason to think that he played at peel park in a lancs combination game for St Helens. He was not there.
Old 20-07-2013, 08:22   #9

Quote:
I think only Italians were based at Stanhill Judith. They used to play fooball on a Sunday afternoon. They were brought in trucks under guard to the Sacred Heart for Mass on Sunday mornings
Old 20-07-2013, 08:44   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
The reason i asked you that Cashey, was that my husband had some reason to think that he played at peel park in a lancs combination game for St Helens. He was not there.
No was not aware of that possibility irene.
Old 20-07-2013, 10:11   #11
Resting in Peace

I saw him play a few times in the early sixties, was still one hell of a keeper even at the back end of his career, RIP
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 10:25   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Takes me back to age ten and listening to that game on the wireless. Don't think anyone was aware at the time that he had broken his neck.

Judith, I too remember seeing him on TV talking about the camp at Stanhill.
Old 20-07-2013, 10:33   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

He may have spoken of it, but as far as i'm aware was never in the Stanhill un, was in one near St Helens, Ashton in Makerfield i think.
Old 20-07-2013, 11:12   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
He may have spoken of it, but as far as i'm aware was never in the Stanhill un, was in one near St Helens, Ashton in Makerfield i think.
Wikipedia agrees with you Cashy and it also says he appeared on a BBC Timewatch programme about German POWs who didn't go home after the war.
Old 20-07-2013, 11:16   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Wikipedia agrees with you Cashy and it also says he appeared on a BBC Timewatch programme about German POWs who didn't go home after the war.
I know he refused repatriation n also played football fer St Helens (as irenes hubby said) St Helens being handy fer were he was i assume? Mind yeh i wouldn't swear by Wiki, but glad someone agrees wi me lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..