Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2009, 20:32   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Burnley

I got very good odds today at the bookies today - I put £20 on burnley not to get relegated as I genuinley believe they will stay up..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2009, 20:35   #47

What odds did you get gg if you don't mind me asking? They certainly gave as good as they got against Premiership opposition in the number of games they played in the cups this season.
Old 26-05-2009, 21:40   #48
God Member

been watchin it on skysports news and when asked the question about celtic by that politician guy he was a bit sheepish and never gave straight answer think its well a pnt at the bookies
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 21:41   #49
God Member

dont worry he didnt want to offend the offended
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 22:01   #50
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
So having an opinion and putting forward a suggestion is being arrogant is it?

The only arrogance I can see here is your self opinionated twaddle. But then that is par for the course for many members of this forum.
Crawl back in your hole you horrible piece of slime.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 22:07   #51
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

It was a great day, I went down with some Burnley fans and was most impressed with the team and their fans, great noise, good atmosphere. Only fault didn't get back home till 2am, up for work at 5am, our coach was still on Wembley carpark at 7.45pm and they have given London the Olympics, the transport system is a joke.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 22:21   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
It was a great day, I went down with some Burnley fans and was most impressed with the team and their fans, great noise, good atmosphere. Only fault didn't get back home till 2am, up for work at 5am, our coach was still on Wembley carpark at 7.45pm and they have given London the Olympics, the transport system is a joke.
Probably the biggest complaint from yesterday from our fans, even the staff at Wemburnley Stadium have been complimented compared to the gestapo trained stweards we have at the Turf.

Amazing that they build a big expensive stadium with large coach parks, yet still have back street access to them and no traffic control system.

I'll not pee you off by telling you I was home at 10.40pm for the highlights on ITV
Old 26-05-2009, 22:44   #53
God Member

although they built a new stadium capable of holding many more people they havnt altered the roads/carpark exits so it take even longer to get out is what the coach driver told my pal who went

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 23:45   #54
God Member

[quote=jaysay;716424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Hearty congratulations to Burnley for gaining entry into the Premier Division. I would just like to thank Burnley FC for the donation of 6 points to the Manchester United cause next season.

However you have to feel for Sheffield United. They played 46 games to finish in third place and it was all for nothing. Sheffield U won 22 games, drew 14 and lost 10 with a decent goal difference of 25 and gained 80 points.

Burnley, on the other hand also played 46 games to finish in 5th place but only won 21 games, drew 13 and lost 12 with a poor goal difference of 12 but only gained 76 points.

These play offs are nothing more than a lottery and in this case a smack in the footballing face of Sheffield United.

But if the Football League are going to have play offs, and I cannot see it changing its mind on this issue, it should also afford the teams at the bottom of the table the same lottery.

Down at the bottom of the table the third bottom team does not get a second chance to avoid the drop, yet like the 3rd placed team it also played 46 games.

To be fair the Football League should introduce play offs for the bottom of the table. The bottom two go down and the third bottom and the three teams above them join in a money spinning charade of play offs. The winning team of each match drops out and is safe, whilst the eventual loser gets relegated.[/quote
Typical arrogant United Fan, plus everybody knows the rules at the start of the season
Yes everyone knows the rules and thats a valid point as is Jambutty's..when Rovers beat Leicester in the play off final of '92 they had finished the season something like 10 points behind ( I'm not having a pop cause I went to that final).... the play off's are a success and have proved to make the end of season very exciting ...they are here to stay..but yes the bottom of leagues should be given the same chance in play offs.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 23:55   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Don't give it all that Bagpuss..heard a whisper that the reason you were home late is cos you pulled a Dingle and were "getting it on" round the back of Wembley car park

Old 26-05-2009, 23:56   #56
white rabbits

Thanks Burnley ,,,best news ive had this month...I,might now even buy some COYLE SPRING SAUSAGESor a couple of BEASTIES
Old 27-05-2009, 00:29   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
short lived with ladbrookes as well, odds on favorites to go straight back down.
I reckon Hull would have been favorites last season Cashy ...footballs a funny old game!
Old 27-05-2009, 03:31   #58
Resting in Peace

[quote=Mancie;716763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yes everyone knows the rules and thats a valid point as is Jambutty's..when Rovers beat Leicester in the play off final of '92 they had finished the season something like 10 points behind ( I'm not having a pop cause I went to that final).... the play off's are a success and have proved to make the end of season very exciting ...they are here to stay..but yes the bottom of leagues should be given the same chance in play offs.
Precisely my point Mancie, on the first match day in August, all 24 teams in the Championship know the rules and what is needed, plus it does keep the season going right to the last day, as there were 3 teams with an interest going into the last match of the season
Old 27-05-2009, 09:40   #59
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Congratulations Burnley.

I have to say that it was one of the best days out I've ever had. We set off from Netto car park at about 6.30. 21 coaches left Netto car park and as we got onto the motorway there were cars and coaches all flying claret and blue. It was like a scene from Wacky Races with all the kids waving at passing cars and coaches and everyone heading for the same place.

The atmosphere in Wembley was electric, especially during the 5 minutes stoppage time at the end, I could hardly bear to watch.

The downside was not being able to get off the coach park after the match. We got the coach off at about 7.15pm, then couldn't get out of Wembley. By the time we got to the motorway, we all needed a pee because we'd been to the off license whilst waiting to set off.

Got home at about 1.30am, absolutely knackered but a fab day out.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:32   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Congratulations Burnley.

I have to say that it was one of the best days out I've ever had. We set off from Netto car park at about 6.30. 21 coaches left Netto car park and as we got onto the motorway there were cars and coaches all flying claret and blue. It was like a scene from Wacky Races with all the kids waving at passing cars and coaches and everyone heading for the same place.

The atmosphere in Wembley was electric, especially during the 5 minutes stoppage time at the end, I could hardly bear to watch.

The downside was not being able to get off the coach park after the match. We got the coach off at about 7.15pm, then couldn't get out of Wembley. By the time we got to the motorway, we all needed a pee because we'd been to the off license whilst waiting to set off.

Got home at about 1.30am, absolutely knackered but a fab day out.
Glad to hear you had a great day out ... brings back memories of when I watched Burnley in the cup final against Spurs over 40 years back ... trouble is, they came away that day on the losing end ... but it was still an exciting time
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..