Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: Football Betting Mugs Game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That aint sport,its legalised brawling.
Brawling its GBH cashy
Old 01-06-2012, 13:07   #137
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That aint sport,its legalised brawling.
Oh come on, just the lads letting off a little steam. The Sens and the Flyers don't seem to like one another, and sometimes things get a tad outa hand ... the refs let them go at it for a while, and then pull them apart when they get tired.

I've seen some pretty rough tackles in football, and not a few downright dirty players ... that Joey Barton, for example, the guy's a disgrace, and he hides behind the "no retaliation" rule ... He wouldn't get away with stuff like that in the NHL; someone with the nickname "Moose" or "Cement Head" (as in Mark "Moose" Messier, or Dave "Cement Head" Semenko) would skate over and clean his clock for him ... give the jerk an attitude adjustment ... and then the boys could get back to playing hockey.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 16:42   #138

Hockey is an awesome sport, I still have my Sundin Leafs Jersey from a trip to Toronto in '04

Only problem was we went during playoff season and the tickets were just too much to go and watch a game.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 17:38   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Hockey is an awesome sport, I still have my Sundin Leafs Jersey from a trip to Toronto in '04

Only problem was we went during playoff season and the tickets were just too much to go and watch a game.
Finally, someone who appreciates Hockey And Mats Sundin is one of the best to ever suit up for the Leafs ... altho' my favorite is Wendel Clark, aka "Captain Crunch".
Old 01-06-2012, 17:38   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Oh come on, just the lads letting off a little steam. The Sens and the Flyers don't seem to like one another, and sometimes things get a tad outa hand ... the refs let them go at it for a while, and then pull them apart when they get tired.

I've seen some pretty rough tackles in football, and not a few downright dirty players ... that Joey Barton, for example, the guy's a disgrace, and he hides behind the "no retaliation" rule ... He wouldn't get away with stuff like that in the NHL; someone with the nickname "Moose" or "Cement Head" (as in Mark "Moose" Messier, or Dave "Cement Head" Semenko) would skate over and clean his clock for him ... give the jerk an attitude adjustment ... and then the boys could get back to playing hockey.
To be honest Eric can't understand why somebody hasn't done that on the football field, he's an irritating little jerk with a screw loose, he's definitely not wired up right
Old 01-06-2012, 18:34   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be honest Eric can't understand why somebody hasn't done that on the football field, he's an irritating little jerk with a screw loose, he's definitely not wired up right
I agree ... think he would be less of a problem if he knew the victim of one his dirty fouls wouldn't just lie there on the ground, pretending to be near death, or at least in agony, but would jump up and drive him one in the head.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37   #142
God Member

Quote:
I think that hockey is not all that much of a dirty game ... Remember when in football, the shoulder charge was legal? You gotta remember the Cup Final in '58 ... that controversial Nat Lofthouse goal, when he bundled Harry Gregg (and the ball) into the net? Most of the checking you see in hockey is quite legal stuff ... may look brutal, but if a guy has the puck, the shoulder charge is ok ... if he has the puck, and he has his head down, he will get creamed ... Wendel Clark once hit an L. A. defender, Bell, I think, so hard that he knocked him unconscious. No penalty. And no fights broke out. In football there is too much chippy stuff going on ... a lot of it the refs don't see ... it's that kind of dirty play that causes fights in hockey ... if a player is a victim of dirty play and the ref doesn't see it, he takes matters into his own hands, drops his gloves, and comes up swinging ... as a result, in hockey, you get far fewer of those dirty little plays.

By the way ... my bet is looking good ... L.A. won the second game, again in OT ... that means they head back to their own barn leading the best of seven 2-0 ... but that doesn't mean it's over ... the fat lady ain't singing yet.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45   #143
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think that hockey is not all that much of a dirty game ... Remember when in football, the shoulder charge was legal? You gotta remember the Cup Final in '58 ... that controversial Nat Lofthouse goal, when he bundled Harry Gregg (and the ball) into the net? Most of the checking you see in hockey is quite legal stuff ... may look brutal, but if a guy has the puck, the shoulder charge is ok ... if he has the puck, and he has his head down, he will get creamed ... Wendel Clark once hit an L. A. defender, Bell, I think, so hard that he knocked him unconscious. No penalty. And no fights broke out. In football there is too much chippy stuff going on ... a lot of it the refs don't see ... it's that kind of dirty play that causes fights in hockey ... if a player is a victim of dirty play and the ref doesn't see it, he takes matters into his own hands, drops his gloves, and comes up swinging ... as a result, in hockey, you get far fewer of those dirty little plays.

By the way ... my bet is looking good ... L.A. won the second game, again in OT ... that means they head back to their own barn leading the best of seven 2-0 ... but that doesn't mean it's over ... the fat lady ain't singing yet.
Well back in the good old days men played football and if there was 1 yellow card (or in those days they just booked um) it was rare as for sending off it had to be attempted murder, but when clubs think nothing of pay £30 million for a player and they are so delicate ( you can knock um over with a stick of rhubarb) teams try to wrap players in cotton wool and refs are frightened of upsetting top managers and their Prima Donna's its no longer a sport its just a money making exercise
Old 03-06-2012, 21:59   #144
God Member

Quote:
Well back in the good old days men played football and if there was 1 yellow card (or in those days they just booked um) it was rare as for sending off it had to be attempted murder, but when clubs think nothing of pay £30 million for a player and they are so delicate ( you can knock um over with a stick of rhubarb) teams try to wrap players in cotton wool and refs are frightened of upsetting top managers and their Prima Donna's its no longer a sport its just a money making exercise
Similar things have happened in hockey too ... when I came to Canada, hockey goaltenders didn't even wear masks ... the first one to do so was Jaques Plante; and the only reason he wore it was that he had just had a bunch of stitches in his face, and he wanted to get back into the game ... Ed "Iron Man" Giacomin, who tended goal for the Rangers, was famous for stopping pucks with his face And the players didn't wear helmets. But the basic physicality of the game will never change; in fact, players are bigger, faster, and they shoot and hit harder.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:29   #145
God Member

Hey ... lookin' good ... maybe I'm not such a mug as I thought I would be ... Kings won 4 to zip tonite ... The fat lady is warming up
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51   #146
God Member

Well, it was close last nite ... but I'm still waiting to collect ... The Devils won in L.A. 3-1 with some outstanding goaltending by 40 yr. old Martin Brodeur. And the Fat Lady is back to munching on donuts. So it's off to Jersey for game 5, with the Kings ahead 3-1 in the series. It was a very physical game, but for those who think it's a dirty sport, only eight fouls were called. And there were no fights.
Old 13-06-2012, 04:41   #147
God Member

Well ... it's over ... and I earned enough to drink Bomber for a week

The Kings took it in six ... and, not surprisingly, Jonathon Quick was the MVP of the series ... fantastic goaltending from Quick won the series for L.A.

Not a bad series ... much more exciting than the soccer Euros

Oh ... and while the yanks were crowing about the victory, they didn't see fit to mention that there are 15 Canadians playing for L.A.
Old 13-06-2012, 08:49   #148
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well ... it's over ... and I earned enough to drink Bomber for a week

The Kings took it in six ... and, not surprisingly, Jonathon Quick was the MVP of the series ... fantastic goaltending from Quick won the series for L.A.

Not a bad series ... much more exciting than the soccer Euros

Oh ... and while the yanks were crowing about the victory, they didn't see fit to mention that there are 15 Canadians playing for L.A.
Flaming big CUP Eric
Old 13-06-2012, 18:02   #149
God Member

Quote:
Flaming big CUP Eric
Indeed it is ... and it's the STANLEY CUP ... gotta be a connection there

And the cup gets to travel around ... all the players on the winning team get to take it to their communities. So it will be spending a lot of time in small-town Canada
Old 05-12-2012, 20:43   #150

Not been on here for a while.
Since the new football season started, i've opened up two betting accounts on t'internet.
£50 on Paddy Power and £40 on Skybet.
I've only got £5 left on my Skybet, and my Paddy Power is on £30 with bets outstanding.
If the money goes to zero on either, no more betting for me on that zero account.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..