Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2012, 08:25   #1
Resting in Peace

Hodgson for England Manager

Well it looks like the FA are going to bypass Happy Harry and go for Roy Hodgson as next manager, think he'll be on a loser with the fans from the start, most England fans want Harry, except Spurs fans that is. I actually don't like Hodgson he runs out of steam easily, he failed at Rovers and Liverpool, think he bottles when the pressure is on
Old 30-04-2012, 09:59   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Hodgson for England Manager

At least he is English John, thats one good thing!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:02   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
At least he is English John, thats one good thing!
The only thing

Last edited by jaysay; 30-04-2012 at 10:10.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:07   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only think

Think about what?!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:10   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Think about what?!
Eh
Old 30-04-2012, 10:37   #6
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it looks like the FA are going to bypass Happy Harry and go for Roy Hodgson as next manager, think he'll be on a loser with the fans from the start, most England fans want Harry, except Spurs fans that is. I actually don't like Hodgson he runs out of steam easily, he failed at Rovers and Liverpool, think he bottles when the pressure is on
Remember the fans wanted Kevin Keegan
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:39   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Remember the fans wanted Kevin Keegan
Ya and they got him, life could be very hard for Wroy
Old 30-04-2012, 10:50   #8
God Member

I had to check the date when I read this story on the bbc website...

I'd rather see Sir Alex F have a go

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 11:47   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hodgson has no personality fer my money, yeh need someone wi charisma i reckon fer that job. Plus he was crap at Blackburn.
Old 30-04-2012, 11:50   #10
God Member

They need a nanny not a manager, overpaid, no pride prima donnas
Old 30-04-2012, 14:14   #11
God Member

What in hell's name is the FA thinking about! Sure, Hodgson knows football. But, an inspirational leader? I don't be thinking so. I just don't get it. There is no shortage of football talent in England; so, there is no excuse for the consistently poor performances in international competition. I don't think I buy the "prima donna" argument ... well, not completely. I'm sure that there are superbly talented English footballers out there who are proud to wear the shirt.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 17:53   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hodgson has no personality fer my money, yeh need someone wi charisma i reckon fer that job. Plus he was crap at Blackburn.
He wasn't or clever at Liverpool either
Old 30-04-2012, 22:46   #13
Full Member+

I'd agree....it's a strange situation when the F.A. seem to have thrown all their eggs in one basket so to speak. I think the F.A. are looking at the "cheaper" option... after all they won't need to pay West Brom any compensation !!!

I may be wrong, but I can't help but think Hodgson wouldn't be in the job by the time it comes to qualifying for Brazil '14 IF he's appointed. I've no doubt that some of the hacks in Fleet Street are already dreaming up headlines for what many will probably see as the "inevitable failure" that will follow IF Hodgson is appointed & England flop at the Euro's this summer.

The England job has long been a poisoned chalice. Expectations are always raised when it comes to going into the tournament. Meaningless friendly victories like we had recently over the Spanish and the Swede's are seized upon by the press and all of a sudden...England are world-beaters again!! Maybe the recent defeat against the Dutch in February may temper expectations.

Yet upon the first signs of failure, those nice journo's round on the team and more so the manager, like a pack of hounds baying for blood !!! Personally, I don't give us much chance at the Euro's. I'd like to be wrong....but I think we don't have players who can match the likes of the Dutch, the Spanish and the Germans. Certainly not in the big games.

Despite the fact that Hodgson seems to be " a nice bloke " he certainly doesn't inspire me and I somewhat doubt his "ability" to motivate a bunch of players who, despite being talented never seem to perform as an " effective unit " when it comes to the big stage of the tournaments.

And I've never forgotten Hodgson's "prima donna" attitude when he brought Fulham to the Crown a couple of years ago when he / they neglected to use our fabulous changing rooms !!!

And given that Hodgson is almost certainly going to be an unpopular choice for many in the general public, I can't see him lasting long IF he is appointed as England boss. This situation is very reminiscent of when the F.A. appointed Ron Greenwood when the whole country seemed to want Cloughie as boss. And poor old Ron Greenwood, who Cloughie joked that "he ( Greenwood ) couldn't even win an arguement with his (Greenwood's ) own wife" didn't last long in the England job did he !!!

Maybe 'Arry didn't really want the job....maybe his recent "tax" case cast doubt into the minds of the powers that be at the F.A....One things for sure....career wise 'Arry is probably better off staying with Spurs. After all ...after managing England not many who have taken the England job have a career left after taking hold of the "poisoned chalice"!!

The only one that springs to mind to buck that trend was the late, great Sir Bobby Robson.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:04   #14

I heard that when Hodgson was Rovers boss a plane flew over the training ground and he wasn't best pleased. So he asked one of his assistants if they could get it to fly somewhere else. Dunno if this is true.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
I heard that when Hodgson was Rovers boss a plane flew over the training ground and he wasn't best pleased. So he asked one of his assistants if they could get it to fly somewhere else. Dunno if this is true.
Which Dingle told you that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..