Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2015, 08:04   #31

Re: I'm surprised ...

Like you, Margaret, we (him and me) won't use the self-serve area of the Supermarkets. We are quite capable of doing so of course but choose not to on principle. The Supermarket giants make enough profit without reducing staff numbers - which is what the self-serve is all about, says cynical me. Also when we spend our money with them we certainly (and rightly) expect good personalised service.

As for cutting down on staff, our local Supermarket had no Express lanes open on a busy Saturday morning - and so his nibs had a long wait to be served with only a few items. Wasn't happy, sent in a complaint, and got a $20 gift voucher with an apology!!!!!

Sorry, I've wandered off-thread, as usual.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2015, 08:17   #32

Back on thread. The Matildas became the first senior Australian soccer team to win a game in the knockout stages of a World Cup. Whatever happens next, this is quite some achievement. NOW they will be getting the accolades and the media coverage they so richly deserve. Go girls!!!!!
Eric likes this.
Old 25-06-2015, 08:27   #33

...and of course best wishes to the English team. Goes without saying. I might have been gone from England for many years but I'm still an Englishwoman at heart.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:49   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The times have changed Eric, dont mean i have to like it.
Here's an interesting piece for you Mr C, you old curmugeon.

The Dick, Kerr Ladies' FC
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:20   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
someone who can answer any queries that I might have.
No problemo ... In India, there are hundreds of thousands of folks sitting by a phone, just waiting for your call
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:30   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Back on thread. The Matildas became the first senior Australian soccer team to win a game in the knockout stages of a World Cup. Whatever happens next, this is quite some achievement. NOW they will be getting the accolades and the media coverage they so richly deserve. Go girls!!!!!
And watching the games is much more fun than reading about what Angel di Maria plans to do, or how much money Raheem Stirling will be making, or how many more of FIFA's top brass have been indicted.

And for Canada: Switzerland was the first European team they have ever beaten in this competition; and it's the first time they made it out of the group stage. And for those English fans who don't take us Canucks seriously unless we are wearing skates and carrying big sticks, Canada's last game before the competition began was a 1-0 victory against England in a friendly.
Old 25-06-2015, 13:43   #37
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No problemo ... In India, there are hundreds of thousands of folks sitting by a phone, just waiting for your call
they are not sitting in the local branch of WHSmith.......which is where I was doing my gift buyig.......and when they get on the phone to me and tell me that their name is William Smith....I tell them that my name is Mahatma Gandhi!
They get short shrift too if I haven't rung them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 14:17   #38

Invariably when I use a self-service, something goes wrong, and one of the staff has to come along with a swipe card to reset the screen.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 14:50   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Invariably when I use a self-service, something goes wrong, and one of the staff has to come along with a swipe card to reset the screen.
Thing is if yeh do use em, the machine cant tell if yer old enough to purchase wine, so yeh have to wait until someone is free to sort it out, faster? I dont think so.
Old 25-06-2015, 15:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thing is if yeh do use em, the machine cant tell if yer old enough to purchase wine, so yeh have to wait until someone is free to sort it out, faster? I dont think so.
You're right. It'd be quicker going to one of the Express check-outs. Funny thing is, the other week I was in Tesco Great Harwood, and the girl serving me was under 18, so she had to ask her supervisor for permission to serve me alcohol!

Last edited by Michael1954; 25-06-2015 at 15:15.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 20:04   #41
Senior Member+

Germany V France and China V U.S.A. Friday then on Saturday Australia V Japan and England V Canada. Looks like a couple of busy days eh Eric. I fancy Germany V China, maybe that,s just a wish, for one semi final and Australia V doesn't matter in the other semi. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised at the standard of play, the ladies have come a long way since the last time I watched a game.
If the U.S. don,t win the cup wait for the complaints on the pitches.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 01:08   #42

Regarding women’s sporting achievements in most sports, whether team or individual, it is very annoying to listen to the condescending attitude of the (usually male) sports commentators. Some of the comments and the way they are delivered make me want to spew. It’s almost like ‘imagine women being able to do that’ attitude.

Also, the inequality of the pay system between women and their male counterparts is very unfair. I know the Matildas (the Australian women’s team) get a pittance when compared to the Socceroos (the Australian men’s team). Apparently this might be about to change – time will tell.

In the sporting arena so many participants (male and female) find it hard to get assistance on the way up and struggle to survive, the powers-that-be don’t seem to care, but once they achieve success, WOW! then everyone wants to get in on the act – they are feted as being ‘ours’.

OK, now I'll get off my soapbox.
Old 26-06-2015, 15:07   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti 34
I know the Matildas (the Australian women’s team)
Shouldn't the Australian women's team be the Sheilas?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 17:12   #44
Beacon of light

I think it probably comes from the old song 'Waltzing Matilda'......probably the term Sheila to mean a female, came much later....But I am happy to be educated if this is not so.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 20:02   #45
God Member

Well, tomorrow's the big day for Canada and England. There will be 55,000 at B.C. Place ... 54,999 of them cheering for Canada It could make it tough for the English girls; on the other hand, it might just inspire them. Whatever; let's hope for a good game.

Seems like the Germans are the team to beat. That's ok. The only time the Germans have beaten Canada at Germany's national sport was at Dieppe in 1942, and that was only because Canada's English manager came up with a lousy strategy.

Just crossed my mind: before the game starts the band will play both of Canada's National Anthems.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..