Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 17:45   #1
Resting in Peace

Is Jack Wilshere right

It seems Jack Wilshere has caused a bit of a storm saying only people born and bred in this country should be allowed to wear the shire, not just live here for 5 years and then they're eligible to play for England. To me only people born a bred here should represent England, although people who have bother parents from England but are born out of the country should also be allowed
Old 09-10-2013, 21:29   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Is Jack Wilshere right

Difficult un to call, Me own view is born n bred here only, but other sports (Cricket) for one, dont seem to give a toss. So its probably daft if all sports aint the same?
Old 10-10-2013, 17:48   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Difficult un to call, Me own view is born n bred here only, but other sports (Cricket) for one, dont seem to give a toss. So its probably daft if all sports aint the same?
England probably wouldn't have a cricket team if the rule applied cashy, Peterson is an example
Old 10-10-2013, 20:24   #4

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Mo Farah, Bradley Wiggins, John Barnes, Greg Rusedtski, Nasser Hussein, Andy Caddick....the list goes on

Mind you I wouldn't put it past the muppets at FIFA to bring in national transfers before too long, probably with some codicil allowing them to get their moneygrubbing bloodstained mitts filled with lucre.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49   #5
Senior Member+

It does apply in most sports - Football, Rugby (both codes), cricket, athletics, tennis and no doubt many more.
If there is to be a level playing field then let it apply across all sports and all nations. Look at Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Russia and former Russian States in football.
To my mind, if anyone becomes a British (English) citizen with a British Passport then they are eligible to represent the country of which they are a citizen.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:27   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It does apply in most sports - Football, Rugby (both codes), cricket, athletics, tennis and no doubt many more.
If there is to be a level playing field then let it apply across all sports and all nations. Look at Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Russia and former Russian States in football.
To my mind, if anyone becomes a British (English) citizen with a British Passport then they are eligible to represent the country of which they are a citizen.
I've never been a fan of a piece of paper taking the place of blood lines Barrie, never mind how long they live here, if they are born here to foreign parents that's fine, but being born in say South Africa then qualifying to play for England after a 5 year residency doesn't work for me
Old 11-10-2013, 19:12   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Personally I think they need to be English born (in England) regardless of parental lineage or of English parents overseas who've retained their English nationality. Just my opinion mind.
Old 11-10-2013, 22:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Personally I think they need to be English born (in England) regardless of parental lineage or of English parents overseas who've retained their English nationality. Just my opinion mind.
What about someone like our own Eric....born here, is now Canadian, by choice not by birth,...lets suppose his son considers himself a Brit by heritage, he's a cracking footballer and has no chance of showing or improving his talents in an Ice Hockey based country...do we deny him the chance of representing England because his dad got fed up of Clayton?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
.do we deny him the chance of representing England because his dad got fed up of Clayton?
Simple answer, yes! If you start tinkering with definitions & happenstances the whole ethic of a "National" player or sports person has no meaning or worth. Instead "Our team" would be a cobbled together hodgepodge of mercenary's playing for the highest bidder with no pride or passion to win for "their" Country. This is self evident every Saturday with a quick glance through the team sheets of most EPL teams.

I'd sooner have us being crap on our own merits than win through default due to paying the gold price for success.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:05   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It seems Jack Wilshere has caused a bit of a storm saying only people born and bred in this country should be allowed to wear the shire, not just live here for 5 years and then they're eligible to play for England. To me only people born a bred here should represent England, although people who have bother parents from England but are born out of the country should also be allowed
Agree with you Jaysay, that is if all the other countries are singing off the same hymn sheet but there needs to be a level playing field on the regulations
cashman, jaysay and Barrie Yates like this.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Simple answer, yes! If you start tinkering with definitions & happenstances the whole ethic of a "National" player or sports person has no meaning or worth. Instead "Our team" would be a cobbled together hodgepodge of mercenary's playing for the highest bidder with no pride or passion to win for "their" Country. This is self evident every Saturday with a quick glance through the team sheets of most EPL teams.

I'd sooner have us being crap on our own merits than win through default due to paying the gold price for success.
Do you apply this across all sports then DinG. You can also take it further - what constitutes a British Serviceman, should only Brit born personnel be allowed to take the Queen's Shilling? (P.S. I got 4 bob)
Old 12-10-2013, 13:53   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
What about someone like our own Eric....born here, is now Canadian, by choice not by birth,...lets suppose his son considers himself a Brit by heritage, he's a cracking footballer and has no chance of showing or improving his talents in an Ice Hockey based country...do we deny him the chance of representing England because his dad got fed up of Clayton?
Sod of Guinness I'd deny him just because his dad is Eric
Guinness likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 13:55   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Do you apply this across all sports then DinG. You can also take it further - what constitutes a British Serviceman, should only Brit born personnel be allowed to take the Queen's Shilling? (P.S. I got 4 bob)
You were a greedy sod
Old 12-10-2013, 18:43   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Aye Barrie, all sports. As to joining HM forces, in an ideal world yes, our servicemen & women would be British as it's a British Army, Navy, Air Force. That said though, they've been scrabbling round for several years now to fill the ranks with cannon fodder, end result, they opened up recruiting to our commonwealth brethren.

Difference is though, these folk won't be on obscene pay packets, getting idolised or living the life of Riley, they'll be getting stuck in in dangerous & life threatening situations, risking life & limb so a whole different World.
Old 12-10-2013, 20:56   #15

Quote:

So..by your definition, if Eric had kept his English nationality, despite the fact that he's lived in Canada for 40-50 years, and his son would have been born there, and never seen Clayton except on Google Earth, he'd be able to play for England...

Devil's advocating here btw

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..