Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38   #1
Senior Member+

Lionel Messi

Where does Lionel Messi rank alongside the all time great footballers? He's still only 24, but he has already achieved spectacular success with Barcelona. Some of the goals he has scored have been breathtaking - I remember one goal he scored in La Liga this season against Malaga. He danced through the defence as if it wasn't there, and reminded me of George Best in his heyday.

And Tommy Docherty reminded us this morning of the wonderful attitude he has to the game, never getting into trouble and also playing with the right spirit. He compared him to Tom Finney in that respect.

There can be no greater compliment than that.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Lionel Messi

Have to say Gynn, fer my money Messi is as good as owt ive seen in me time.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08   #3
Resting in Peace

He's a marvelous player in my eyes, I watch Barca every opportunity I get, can't say I've seen anything better, at 24 he is Barca's leading goal scorer of all time and has already broken the scoring record in a seasons champions league with a possible 3 matches to go, I heard the Doc this morning too and he was correct in every department
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have to say Gynn, fer my money Messi is as good as owt ive seen in me time.
Unfortunately, he's a bit out of Cooky's price range Cashy !!!

Messi is an awesome player, frightening to think he's only 24 and probably has the best years of his career in front of him yet!!

Have to say though, I had this discussion with my step-father and a few others at the club I go to at the weekends, and (given that they're older than me and well versed / qualified to comment ) they didn't rate Messi in their "top three".

They went on to rate Pele, Finney, Puskas and Best to mention but a few....( given that these guys saw all these players in the flesh and not on T.V. !!! ) above Mr Messi. And how did I regret mentioning Maradonna in that exalted company.....cheating git I know, but for me...."hand of god" aside, he has to rank up there with the best.

The best I've seen in the flesh....Frank Worthington ( when he played for P.N.E. at the end of his career ) He was knocking forty when I saw him.....And John Barnes...went downhill after "that" goal against Brazil !!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 06-04-2012 at 02:34. Reason: typo
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Unfortunately, he's a bit out of Cooky's price range Cashy !!!

Messi is an awesome player, frightening to think he's only 24 and probably has the best years of his career in front of him yet!!

Have to say though, I had this discussion with my step-father and a few others at the club I go to at the weekends, and (given that they're older than me and well versed / qualified to comment ) they didn't rate Messi in their "top three".

They went on to rate Pele, Finney, Puskas and Best to mention but a few....( given that these guys saw all these players in the flesh and not on T.V. !!! ) above Mr Messi. And how did I regret mentioning Maradonna in that exalted company.....cheating git I know, but for me...."hand of god" aside, he has to rank up there with the best.

The best I've seen in the flesh....Frank Worthington ( when he played for P.N.E. at the end of his career ) He was knocking forty when I saw him.....And John Barnes...went downhill after "that" goal against Brazil !!!
Have to say Finney n Best are the best english players ive seen in flesh n fer me Messi is up yon wi em, only saw Puskas @ Pele on t.v. Tell em thing is a lot of folk are guilty of the "Those were the days syndrome" have been guilty of that meself.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:13   #6
Resting in Peace

One always has to say would these players be the same into today's football, we now have grounds like billiard tables, nothing like the Baseball Ground or Burnden Park on a wet Wednesday night, they often show a clip of Besty running riot through the Spurs defence, even Old Trafford got a bit heavy underfoot in those days, plus the games a lot faster today
Old 06-04-2012, 19:03   #7
God Member

It's always hard to compare players from the past with those playing today..Mathews, Pele, Maradona, Best, Finney, Puskas etc all skillful players... Maradona being the best I've seen.. but as a goal scorer Messi really does have the edge.

Last edited by Mancie; 06-04-2012 at 19:07.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 19:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It's always hard to compare players from the past with those playing today..Mathews, Pele, Maradona, Best, Finney, Puskas etc all skillful players... Maradona being the best I've seen.. but as a goal scorer Messi really does have the edge.
Thats true, gotta say most skillful imho has to be Best, shame it wasn't fer as long as it should have been. Messi though is up yon wi anyone in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2012, 21:55   #9

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Have to say Finney n Best are the best english players
*cough*

Beckenbauer for me...hideous as a man, exquisite as a footballer
Old 06-04-2012, 22:59   #10
God Member

Quote:
Thats true, gotta say most skillful imho has to be Best, shame it wasn't fer as long as it should have been. Messi though is up yon wi anyone in my opinion.
I'd have to say I've never seen any player in the 18yrd box as good as Messi.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:40   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
*cough*

Beckenbauer for me...hideous as a man, exquisite as a footballer
*Cough* he was a German
Old 07-04-2012, 21:57   #12

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
*Cough* he was a German
Erm....the *cough* was a gentle poke at Cashman for referring to Best as English

My mention of Beckenbauer was made as my opinion as the best footballer I've seen 'in the flesh'.
Old 07-04-2012, 22:33   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Erm....the *cough* was a gentle poke at Cashman for referring to Best as English

My mention of Beckenbauer was made as my opinion as the best footballer I've seen 'in the flesh'.
I regard Northern Irish prods as english Guinness. in fact i once told Bestie that n we had a good laugh about it.
Old 07-04-2012, 22:47   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
in fact i once told Bestie that n we had a good laugh about it.
Ooh .... you name dropper you !
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07   #15
Senior Member+

Charlton was as good as they come and don,t mention that fat little get in the same breath
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..