Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 15:55   #1
Senior Member+

One Down, Four More to Go

Started as they will go on and perhaps one of the highlights was Paul Scholes - from Salford, being named as Man of the Match.
Start chasing the rest of you.
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2010, 16:25   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: One Down, Four More to Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Started as they will go on and perhaps one of the highlights was Paul Scholes - from Salford, being named as Man of the Match.
Just wondering where Mancies 8 home grown young players where though, unless he was thinking of Giggs and Scholes
Old 08-08-2010, 16:44   #3
Senior Member+

Not sure of the definition of "Home Grown" - honest, does it mean born within the borough where the team play, or taken on as a youngster.
But as i understand it, clubs have to name the squad of 25 soon and 8 of those have to be "Home Grown".
So, how about Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Brown, Amos, Cleverley, Welbeck & Gill?
Old 08-08-2010, 17:16   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not sure of the definition of "Home Grown" - honest, does it mean born within the borough where the team play, or taken on as a youngster.
But as i understand it, clubs have to name the squad of 25 soon and 8 of those have to be "Home Grown".
So, how about Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Brown, Amos, Cleverley, Welbeck & Gill?
Read Mancies post about the mexco game, was saying the team consited of 7 or 8 young home grown talent
Old 08-08-2010, 18:28   #5
God Member

8 "home grown" out of 25 will be no problem for United...but I can think of quite a few teams were it could be a problem..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 18:39   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
I see people like you sat in the pubs in Accrington when I come up on a Saturday watching football on Sky Sports. They wear Utd, or maybe Liverpool or Man City shirts or some other plastic premiership side, it doesn't really matter. No pride, no loyalty, no interest in their home town team. Meanwhile, Stanley struggle on with gates of under 2,000.

A shame, such a shame.
Old 08-08-2010, 18:55   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I see people like you sat in the pubs in Accrington when I come up on a Saturday watching football on Sky Sports. They wear Utd, or maybe Liverpool or Man City shirts or some other plastic premiership side, it doesn't really matter. No pride, no loyalty, no interest in their home town team. Meanwhile, Stanley struggle on with gates of under 2,000.

A shame, such a shame.
As I live in France it is a bit difficult for me to watch any English games except on TV.
I am not aware of any requirement that you must be born in a particular town or city to support the football club of that town or city. Are you suggesting that to support Chelsea you must be born in Fulham?
I also remember the time when Accrington Stanley 1st XI was composed almost entirely of foreigners. Rather than criticise the expatriates why not have a go at the residents - less than 2,000 for a home game? That is the shame.
Old 08-08-2010, 19:05   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not aware of any requirement that you must be born in a particular town or city to support the football club of that town or city.
No requirement, just a little thing called local pride. As for the Stanley team being composed of "foreigners", I assume you're talking about the Galbraith era. As far as I'm aware, all Stanley players at that time were British subjects, so where were the "foreigners" you refer to? But I take it you had no interest in your home town club even then. As for having a go at the residents, I do it all the time, just ask Jaysay. I'm just casting my net wider at the moment.
Old 08-08-2010, 19:10   #9
God Member

Quote:

A shame, such a shame.
times must have changed.. no Burnley or Rovers shirts?.. may have passed you by Wynonie but things like trains, buses, cars (and the odd tram) can get you from Accy to Manchester in under an hour..Utd, Liverpool and City are local teams..this ain't 1891!
Old 08-08-2010, 19:21   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
times must have changed.. no Burnley or Rovers shirts?.. may have passed you by Wynonie but things like trains, buses, cars (and the odd tram) can get you from Accy to Manchester in under an hour..Utd, Liverpool and City are local teams..this ain't 1891!
Oh yes, plenty of them, Mancie, and they don't escape my disapproval, either. But, yes, you're right, rapid transport links, the power of big corporate companies, sophisticated facilities, market forces and all that...in fact, I put it to you, Mancie, that premiership clubs are the Tories of English football!
Old 08-08-2010, 20:21   #11
God Member

Quote:
Oh yes, plenty of them, Mancie, and they don't escape my disapproval, either. But, yes, you're right, rapid transport links, the power of big corporate companies, sophisticated facilities, market forces and all that...in fact, I put it to you, Mancie, that premiership clubs are the Tories of English football!
It's an interesting comparison..the Tories do disregard the sick, the blind, those who are cripples , and some of them end up playing for .. Accrington Stanley
Old 08-08-2010, 20:48   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's an interesting comparison..the Tories do disregard the sick, the blind, those who are cripples , and some of them end up playing for .. Accrington Stanley
You might not have made that remark if you'd seen them hold premiership side, Fulham at bay for around 70 minutes last season until they somewhat unfairly had a man sent off. Typically, at the end of the match their manager decided the team were far too grand to change and shower in Stanley's changing rooms and they were whisked off to their hotel in true, elitist, Tory fashion.

Mancie, I've been to Old Trafford once a few seasons ago and I do not know how you, as a man of the people, can stomach it. It reeks of smug, self-satisfied, corporate capitalism - a place where all the traditional values of football have been cast aside in the pursuit of mamon.

You can laugh at Stanley, but I take a pride in standing on the terraces of the Clayton End in a real atmosphere with real fans, supporting my home town club.

Just like the Tories, the premiership clubs know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Old 08-08-2010, 21:03   #13
God Member

Quote:

Mancie, I've been to Old Trafford once a few seasons ago and I do not know how you, as a man of the people, can stomach it. It reeks of smug, self-satisfied, corporate capitalism - a place where all the traditional values of football have been cast aside in the pursuit of mamon.
Did you get a prawn sandwich ?

Man Utd yesterday.. Saturday monring, had a session at Carrington training ground.. over 10,000 came to watch and all proceeds went to local charities.
I do have respect for Stanley.. many a time you would find me weeping in my pint int'u Broadway after tu'Stanley losing..but they are abit like puff the magic dragon.. little boys move on
Old 08-08-2010, 21:11   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Did you get a prawn sandwich ?

Man Utd yesterday.. Saturday monring, had a session at Carrington training ground.. over 10,000 came to watch and all proceeds went to local charities.
I do have respect for Stanley.. many a time you would find me weeping in my pint int'u Broadway after tu'Stanley losing..but they are abit like puff the magic dragon.. little boys move on
Little boys may well move on...to the rarified, artificial atmosphere of Old Trafford where they can enjoy the corporate delights therein, along with the citizens of the Home Counties, the Emerald Isle and various other locations far and wide. However, real blokes stick wi' t'Stanley!
Old 08-08-2010, 21:46   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
No requirement, just a little thing called local pride. As for the Stanley team being composed of "foreigners", I assume you're talking about the Galbraith era. As far as I'm aware, all Stanley players at that time were British subjects, so where were the "foreigners" you refer to? But I take it you had no interest in your home town club even then. As for having a go at the residents, I do it all the time, just ask Jaysay. I'm just casting my net wider at the moment.
Not good enough to be asked to go for a trial at AS but OK for Burnley, same thing for all the AGS boys of the time, not even the reserve Lancashire & England schoolboy keeper was asked to go for a trial - he finished up playing for Blackpool Reserves I believe.
Scots, irish & Welsh are not English, they each have their own leagues and each qualify for the European Championship, European Cup and World Cup - therefore they must be foreigners, certainly in this context.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..