Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 16:15   #1
Senior Member+

Perhaps Panorama Got It Right

How can FIFA justify giving the Russians the 2018 Cup - except for a substantial increase in their pension funds.
It is one of the most crime ridden countries in the world and restrictive. As for Qatar, well, that is an even more ridiculous decision - been there got the t-shirt. Nice place but it costs an arm and a leg.
However, I am glad that we didn't get it. Think what we would have had to spend, OK the return would have been good, but money would have to be spent in large amounts beforehand - which is probably why Spain/Portugal didn't get it - they are allegedly both in danger of fiscal calamity.
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2010, 16:27   #2
God Member

Re: Perhaps Panorama Got It Right

No surprise at all; England always go out in the early rounds of the World Cup. I gather we managed to garner the grand total of 2 votes in our bid. The only question now is how much Roman paid into each of 21 private numbered accounts in Zurich.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 17:50   #3
Resting in Peace

Of course they got it right but it should have been aired after today, no 3 days before the bid
Old 02-12-2010, 22:09   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

wouldn't have made the remotest difference, its all about brown envelopes, i am very disappointed, but end of day bottom line weve had it in 66, Russia n Quatar have never had it, we were never gonna get it, much as we all wanted, so stop looking fer excuses. everyone i'm sure has been well aware F.I.F.A, are corrupt, Panorama did get it right, but honestly think showing it prior made not a jot of difference, as i said before, F.I.F.A. has known fer ages they were being investigated by the british media, i just hope theres enough to tumble these bent gets.
Old 02-12-2010, 22:46   #5

If you look deep enough England were out at the first hurdle, so Panorama had nothing to do with it.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 22:56   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
If you look deep enough England were out at the first hurdle, so Panorama had nothing to do with it.
thats probably too deep fer some Alan.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:01   #7
Resting in Peace

If you actually watch the announcement the Ruskies were cheering before the announcement was made
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29   #8

We didn't even get the American vote, that tells you something.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
We didn't even get the American vote, that tells you something.
Do the Yanks have vote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54   #10
Resting in Peace

I've decided not to go!!

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 17:33   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If you actually watch the announcement the Ruskies were cheering before the announcement was made
Sky News were telling us the Ruskies had won 15 minutes before the announcement. It was on the Press Association wires, and journalists were tweeting the result. They showed Henry Winter of the Daily Telegraph's twitter page long before the formal announcement.

A friend of mine rang me to tell me to get a couple of quid on Qatar for 2022, as their price had gone from long odds against to odds-on. Thank goodness I had an on-line account with Bet365!

Last edited by gynn; 03-12-2010 at 17:37.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 19:21   #12
God Member

A little unsettling, but I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Ken Bates:

"I'm of the opinion that the big European nations should resign from FIFA and start their own organisation. If they [FIFA] didn't have Spain, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom there wouldn't be a FIFA. There wouldn't be a UEFA for that matter," said Bates to Yorkshire Radio.

"The only way to deal with FIFA is to withdraw from it and let them get on with it. FIFA are a two-bob organisation above any law and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

"It's a case of the tail wagging the dog. We have little Jack Warner standing in the corner, Oceania, the Caribbean, and the oil states. All that happens is they keep giving the votes to [FIFA president Sepp] Blatter so he stays there in power.

"The fact of the matter is England have the best stadiums and the best infrastructure. If you think of the disaster of the Champions League final in Moscow a couple of years ago when people were being billeted 100 miles away it's a joke.

"And as for Qatar - I always think someone is clearing their throat when they say that. How are they going to develop football? Australia, who have all the stadia and put a tremendous Olympics on, would have put on a great show.

"FIFA is a waste of space. It's a money making organisation and I don't think they give a damn about football."
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 19:33   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
A little unsettling, but I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Ken Bates:

"I'm of the opinion that the big European nations should resign from FIFA and start their own organisation. If they [FIFA] didn't have Spain, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom there wouldn't be a FIFA. There wouldn't be a UEFA for that matter," said Bates to Yorkshire Radio.

"The only way to deal with FIFA is to withdraw from it and let them get on with it. FIFA are a two-bob organisation above any law and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

"It's a case of the tail wagging the dog. We have little Jack Warner standing in the corner, Oceania, the Caribbean, and the oil states. All that happens is they keep giving the votes to [FIFA president Sepp] Blatter so he stays there in power.

"The fact of the matter is England have the best stadiums and the best infrastructure. If you think of the disaster of the Champions League final in Moscow a couple of years ago when people were being billeted 100 miles away it's a joke.

"And as for Qatar - I always think someone is clearing their throat when they say that. How are they going to develop football? Australia, who have all the stadia and put a tremendous Olympics on, would have put on a great show.

"FIFA is a waste of space. It's a money making organisation and I don't think they give a damn about football."
In full agreement. The major football countries should do exactly as the Premier League did - and screw the "no-hopers"
Old 03-12-2010, 19:52   #14
Senior Member+

I am appalled that we wasted £15 million trying to win over a bunch of corrupt cheats and charlatans. That money could have been far better used in promoting sport in schools.

I am even more appalled that our Prime Minister along with an heir to the throne became embroiled in the whole shabby fiasco.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 21:54   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well said shaker, if this fiasco only starts the demise of F.I.F.A. then summat good will come out of it, aint holding me breath though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..