Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2010, 19:48   #1
God Member

The Grey Cup

Ok, this isn't the kind of football you are used to, but this weekend, the 27th to be exact, the Saskatchewan Roughriders will face off against the Montreal Alouettes for the Grey Cup, awarded to the best team in the CFL (Canadian Football League) ... I only brought this up because I'm a big Riders' fan, and have supported the Green and White since 1967. The Al's are favoured, but the Riders who lost a heartbreaker last year, are, like Stanley, the little team that could ... The Province of Saskatchewan is about two-and-half times bigger than England with a population of fewer than one million ... the Riders are the pride of the Province, and rabid fans travel hours to attend a game at Taylor Field, often in sub zero temperatures ... so, even thought I will probably be the only AccyWebber watching the game, I had to mention it: "Any teams, any topic -so long as it's football." Go Riders
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2010, 19:56   #2
God Member

Re: The Grey Cup

Errr..are we talking about a game played with a round ball or with an oval ball? Is this a game involving sticks and ice skates? Is it a ladies games, pretending to be a mans game, as most North American games are?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 20:48   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Errr..are we talking about a game played with a round ball or with an oval ball? Is this a game involving sticks and ice skates? Is it a ladies games, pretending to be a mans game, as most North American games are?
The ball is oval ... it's American football with major differences, a more wide open game with only three downs ....

I presume that "ladies games" doesn't refer to hockey, mixed martial arts on ice, played by men who have lost their teeth by blocking pucks with their faces, or by taking punches in the numerous altercations which punctuate the game.
Old 24-11-2010, 21:08   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I presume that "ladies games" doesn't refer to hockey, mixed martial arts on ice, played by men who have lost their teeth by blocking pucks with their faces, or by taking punches in the numerous altercations which punctuate the game.
Obviously ya aint been round Accy Centre on a sat night lately?
Old 24-11-2010, 21:12   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Obviously ya aint been round Accy Centre on a sat night lately?
Yeah, but the punishment for aggravated assault in hockey is having to serve a two minute minor penalty ... which means you get to sit down for two minutes
Old 24-11-2010, 22:11   #6
God Member

Quote:
The ball is oval ... it's American football with major differences, a more wide open game with only three downs ....

Just what I suspected...Rugby League for girls.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 02:52   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just what I suspected...Rugby League for girls.
And where in the top ten of sports for wimps and whiners would we find soccer Mmmm ... and let's give some thought to cricket .... baseball on valium
Old 25-11-2010, 03:44   #8
God Member

Quote:
baseball on valium
love it ... karma sent
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 05:13   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
love it ... karma sent
Thanx a bunch ... but I don't really deserve it. It originated with Robin Williams in a show he put on in London a couple of decades ago. Just popped into my head when I was thinking of an appropriate response.
Old 25-11-2010, 07:19   #10
God Member

Quote:
Thanx a bunch ... but I don't really deserve it. It originated with Robin Williams in a show he put on in London a couple of decades ago. Just popped into my head when I was thinking of an appropriate response.
I used to work 'swing shift' and sometimes would hit the San Francisco 'south of market' bars after 12 p.m. when Robin used to wander around trying out new material on the 'public' .... strange guy , one day he would recognize you and would have a few drinks or share a line off the top of a toilet tank , next day he would cut you dead ... the guy has/had problems, for some reason the guy allways wanted to stop off at the visitation/observation point on the Golden Gate Bridge if you gave him a lift home ......I'm going back to the days before he did the movie 'Good Will Hunting' and went to Hollywood and became a 'star'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 08:55   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
cricket .... baseball on valium
You'd have thought so at 1am this morning
Old 25-11-2010, 16:01   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

In response to the comment "Cricket .... Baseball on Valium !" Dear me, it appears the Colonials are getting rather uppity ! May I suggest you Ladies peruse this little snippet ! Or more precisely the first sentence.

The History of Baseball

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 25-11-2010 at 16:03.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 17:50   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
In response to the comment "Cricket .... Baseball on Valium !" Dear me, it appears the Colonials are getting rather uppity ! May I suggest you Ladies peruse this little snippet ! Or more precisely the first sentence.

The History of Baseball
Well the girls used to play it at our school
Old 25-11-2010, 18:20   #14
Senior Member+

The other colonies seem to have taken to cricket - just the ones who came under the thumb of our other colonial cousins, the Yanks, haven';t taken to it.
We have spent over 2000 years perfecting the most beautiful langiuage ever - the Yanks, helped by the Canucks, have spent just over 200 years trying to destroy it.
Old 25-11-2010, 18:21   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The other colonies seem to have taken to cricket - just the ones who came under the thumb of our other colonial cousins, the Yanks, haven';t taken to it.
We have spent over 2000 years perfecting the most beautiful langiuage ever - the Yanks, helped by the Canucks, have spent just over 200 years trying to destroy it.
And mostly being successful Barrie

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..