Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wynonie Harris
  • 1 Post By jaysay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2013, 22:12   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
The Peoples game

Unashamedly ripped from a stanley thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
29/8/55 away to Rochdale>
Team : Tommy McQueen, Armour Ashe, Jimmy Harrower, Eddie Hunter, John Ryden, Charlie Sneddon, Bert Scott, Archie Wright, George Stewart, Wattie Dick and Norrie McCredie.
Score 1-1
Goalscorer McCredie
At least 4 and possibly 5 of those guys lived on the Within Grove council estate amongst Miners, Power Station and English Electric workers. The WAG's used a twin tub and pegged their washing out on a monday morning, had their hair done on friday by Bert Scotts wife and got their weekend joint from Harold Heys corner shop....NORMAL PEOPLE PLAYING THE PEOPLES GAME

I watched the England women stuff Turkey 8-0 the other night, no fantastic wages, no agents, playing for the shirt, I saw effort and women who showed they wanted to play in the next game..they were screaming please pick me look what i've done tonight'....NORMAL PEOPLE PLAYING THE PEOPLES GAME

I watched the England men dredge a draw against Ukraine. massive wages, agents..I saw a mediocre game, people who knew they would be in the next game regardless of how they played, or else!!...they didn't give a stuff..PEOPLE SCREWING THE CRAP OUT OF THE PEOPLES GAME
Old 27-09-2013, 23:10   #2
Senior Member+

The Peoples game

Totally agree, I'd much rather watch park football than the overpaid rubbish that's recently "graced" the England shirt.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 23:34   #3
Super Moderator

Re: The Peoples game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Unashamedly ripped from a stanley thread..

At least 4 and possibly 5 of those guys lived on the Within Grove council estate amongst Miners, Power Station and English Electric workers. The WAG's used a twin tub and pegged their washing out on a monday morning, had their hair done on friday by Bert Scotts wife and got their weekend joint from Harold Heys corner shop....NORMAL PEOPLE PLAYING THE PEOPLES GAME

I watched the England women stuff Turkey 8-0 the other night, no fantastic wages, no agents, playing for the shirt, I saw effort and women who showed they wanted to play in the next game..they were screaming please pick me look what i've done tonight'....NORMAL PEOPLE PLAYING THE PEOPLES GAME

I watched the England men dredge a draw against Ukraine. massive wages, agents..I saw a mediocre game, people who knew they would be in the next game regardless of how they played, or else!!...they didn't give a stuff..PEOPLE SCREWING THE CRAP OUT OF THE PEOPLES GAME
Agreed, but those playing for Stanley today are normal people playing the people's game. They can't afford to be anything else on the lowest budget in the Football League!

So why do the so-called normal people of Accrington largely ignore them, preferring to watch cossetted, overpaid "superstars" playing for Man U and the like on Sky Sports? And before you say, "because they haven't won this season", this abject apathy has been going on ever since we got back in the league, even during the play-off season!
AccyMad likes this.
Old 28-09-2013, 06:46   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Watching Stanley is like stepping back in time in my view, Its football like it was n a privilege to watch. as fer support there are a good few reasons, The lost generations/ Fact that there are many teams in close proximity,/ (Look at Morecambe) new ground/no-one near em/ Not many more go,than at Stanley. (Explain that?)Plus peoples tastes have changed, Many these days prefer top flight to watching the peasants, gawd knows why Loyalty is a thing of the past to most people.
Old 28-09-2013, 09:24   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Agreed, but those playing for Stanley today are normal people playing the people's game. They can't afford to be anything else on the lowest budget in the Football League!

So why do the so-called normal people of Accrington largely ignore them, preferring to watch cossetted, overpaid "superstars" playing for Man U and the like on Sky Sports? And before you say, "because they haven't won this season", this abject apathy has been going on ever since we got back in the league, even during the play-off season!
Cheaper than Sky Sports as well. And also that banter you only get on a football terrace.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 14:09   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

The problem is Wyn, that two generations missed out on league football in Accrington, those generations watch other clubs, Rovers Burnley United Liverpool etc and they brought their kids up doing the same and so it goes on, and will carry on that way as very few people are interested in watching their home town club which is highlighted by the gates, when gates increase there's a chance until that happens, its kind of a catch 22 position
Barrie Yates likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..