Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2015, 09:20   #1

Wes Brown Sending Off

Interesting quote from the Referees association following yesterday's case of mistaken identity

The Professional Game Match Officials Limited said: "From his position, Roger East, the match referee, believed he saw contact from John O'Shea and Wes Brown.
"As he thought Brown made a foul on Falcao as he was in the act of shooting, he dismissed Brown.
"After the incident, the match referee consulted with his team of officials, but none were better placed to offer guidance."

I was a thiousand miles away watching the match on TV. I was better placed to offer guidance. So were the other millions worldwide who knew the decision was wrong as soon as the ref got his red card out and flashed it at Wes Brown.

So were the thousands of fans INSIDE Old Trafford who had access to a TV screen in the corporate hospitality areas.

And so would the 4th official, if he'd had one of the hundreds of TV sets at Old Trafford yesterday by his side.

The sooner the FA get their heads out of the clouds and use TV evidence every time a controversial incidents occurs, the better.

And I don't for one second subscribe to the argument that it interrupts the flow of the game. It ADDS to the viewing spectacle, as the crowd sit on the edge of their seats in anticipation of the ruling from the off pitch official. It works in rugby and cricket. Why not football?
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2015, 10:37   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Wes Brown Sending Off

Probably cos the majority of refs i see are complete dickheads, so why should their higher authority's spoil it?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:55   #3
Senior Member+

Ridiculous decision - especially when O'Shea told him that he had committed the foul. It will be very interesting to read the results of the inevitable appeal - I can see both of them getting off.
Old 02-03-2015, 14:39   #4
God Member

Didn't this also happen in an Arsenal/Chelsea game when Gibbs, I think, was the wrong man sent off? Maybe it is time for video review of disputed calls ... maybe with a limit on the number any team might use in one game. Reffing in soccer is a joke. Apart from figure skating judging, which I think is more corruption than stupidity, soccer is the worst reffed sport in the world. I don't think it has anything to do with the pace of the game and the inevitable contact; hockey is far faster, and far more physical, but it doesn't generate the controversial calls that you get in soccer.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 15:04   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Think yeh nailed it good style Eric, Joke is just the word, Those that actually run the game though are even worse than that.
Old 02-03-2015, 23:39   #6
Senior Member+

O,Shea put a little pull on Falcao, not enough to warrant a card, happens dozens of times every game, if you look at the replay closely you will see the reason that Falcao went down was that he slipped on a shin pad, Brown didn't trip him, a little contact maybe but no foul. As has been said, replays have to come, refs are wrong so many times.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:09   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
O,Shea put a little pull on Falcao, not enough to warrant a card, happens dozens of times every game, if you look at the replay closely you will see the reason that Falcao went down was that he slipped on a shin pad, Brown didn't trip him, a little contact maybe but no foul. As has been said, replays have to come, refs are wrong so many times.
Agree entirely. If crappy reffing were rare, it wouldn't be so bad ... but it's every damned game. Fans don't pay good money to watch refs screw up; they are there to see a football game. Two things, apart from video replays: pay the refs more. They don't earn that much, and their performance, or lack of it, can quite possible determine who will win the Premier League for chrissake! Another thing: there should be an official timer who controls how much extra time there will be. It shouldn't be left up to the refs' discretion. What the hell, the ref has enough to do without keeping his eye on his watch.

Come to think of it, the way the perform leads one to speculate that many of them are so dumb that they can't tell the time .... the game starts when the big hand is on .....

Last edited by Eric; 03-03-2015 at 01:12.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It will be very interesting to read the results of the inevitable appeal - I can see both of them getting off.
That's exactly what has happened. Wes Brown's red card has been rescinded. Its not being transferred to O'Shea, so both have got off.

hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 23:30   #9
Senior Member+

The way it should be but what about the ref? He called it as he "thought" he saw it but they are not there to guess, if you don't see it you shouldn't call it and that's what he did.
Solution? I think we all agree, video replay.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 20:33   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
The way it should be but what about the ref? He called it as he "thought" he saw it but they are not there to guess, if you don't see it you shouldn't call it and that's what he did.
Solution? I think we all agree, video replay.
But there has to be a limit on the number of times a team can ask for a video review in any given game. The refs screw up so many times that an unlimited number of requests for a review would make games last for days.
Old 04-03-2015, 20:51   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
But there has to be a limit on the number of times a team can ask for a video review in any given game. The refs screw up so many times that an unlimited number of requests for a review would make games last for days.
Aye but they dont screw up that many without help from useless liners.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..