Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

DaveinGermany 12-04-2015 17:47

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1138584)
Something like this Barrie?

Are you sure the Dinosnoterous is scaled Stevie? :)

***Mr D*** 13-04-2015 00:28

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1138558)
They look to be the metal jacket of a 9mm round or possibly .45 (as in your first picture you show 2 smallish spent cases).

I think the first small casings are just .22?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1138581)
Think you are pretty close there DinG, would help if something had been put alongside them so that they could be scaled

Yes, sorry I should of done that in the first place.:o

Attachment 48217Attachment 48218

***Mr D*** 18-04-2015 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1138623)
I think the first small casings are just .22?

Yes, sorry I should of done that in the first place.:o

Attachment 48217Attachment 48218

Still wondering what the large I presume bullet is anyone any ideas?

***Mr D*** 18-04-2015 18:41

5 Attachment(s)
A few more finds from today, also found a few old coins but badly corroded or worn, and some spendable money £3.05.:)

Attachment 48311

The rubbish I found.:D

Attachment 48312

Silver St Christopher pendant.

Attachment 48313

Interesting (Accrington) token of some sort I presume, any one any ideas?

Attachment 48314

Some unknown metal.

Attachment 48315

Girl Guide badge (presume old).

DaveinGermany 18-04-2015 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1139177)
Still wondering what the large I presume bullet is anyone any ideas?

I'd say a Rifle round, probably an old Enfield .303, as to your unidentified metal, whatever it is it looks like it's been melted at some point,

Accyexplorer 19-04-2015 01:16

Nice one.....

....The Accy&church co-op society fourpence token was usually used for bread or milk back in the day.

***Mr D*** 21-04-2015 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1139202)
I'd say a Rifle round, probably an old Enfield .303, as to your unidentified metal, whatever it is it looks like it's been melted at some point,

I believe the old white bullet could be some variant of a Minie ball suffering from lead oxide corrosion, which I find odd being found up the coppice.

Accyexplorer 22-04-2015 08:11

I've just ordered myself a (mid range) detector from eBay...

...watch this space :)

Retlaw 22-04-2015 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1139409)
I believe the old white bullet could be some variant of a Minie ball suffering from lead oxide corrosion, which I find odd being found up the coppice.

Minnie balls and other old lead ammo have turned up on the Coppice several times over the years, back in the days of the flint lock & percussion era of rifles & pistols, before Acc Bo\rough was even thought of there was a range somwhere up there. The more modern .303 MkII, MkVI & MkVII was used on the range at Hapton, that range was closed becuse of ricochets, several being found on Hambledon near the old gambling caves.

***Mr D*** 22-04-2015 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139205)
Nice one.....

....The Accy&church co-op society fourpence token was usually used for bread or milk back in the day.

Cheers Accy x, how much back in the day as its undated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1139433)
Minnie balls and other old lead ammo have turned up on the Coppice several times over the years, back in the days of the flint lock & percussion era of rifles & pistols, before Acc Bo\rough was even thought of there was a range somwhere up there. The more modern .303 MkII, MkVI & MkVII was used on the range at Hapton, that range was closed becuse of ricochets, several being found on Hambledon near the old gambling caves.

Thanks for that info Retlaw, happen I will come across more up there on my detecting travels, makes you think what could of gone on up there in days past.

ossy kid 22-04-2015 23:17

Just received a metal detector for my birthday, now to try it out. I used to have one many moons ago, had lots of fun with it, took it camping to old gold mining areas, once detected the metal corner of a buried suitcase, on opening it there was a half dozen old salmon paste jars, all empty?? Quite a let down as I imagined them being full of nuggets.
Off to the Gulf Islands tomorrow for a few days I think I,ll take it with me and try it out.
Re your photos could the larger object be a thimble Mr D?

Accyexplorer 23-04-2015 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1139457)
Cheers Accy x, how much back in the day as its undated.

Early 1900s??,no monetary value,a collectors piece would be my guess but I'm no coin expert.My detector should be here any day now I can't wait to get out and find gold :D
Do you have any recommendations as to best places to use it?

DaveinGermany 23-04-2015 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139494)
Do you have any recommendations as to best places to use it?

Where you've spoken to the land owner & been given permission would probably be a good starting point. ;)

Accyexplorer 24-04-2015 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1139495)
Where you've spoken to the land owner & been given permission would probably be a good starting point. ;)

Very subtle D ;),of course (being responsible) I will gain permission from landowners before destroying their field :D....

...see you in the trenches fellow detector'ists :)

Gordon Booth 24-04-2015 12:45

I had a dabble for a year or two, found a few coins, lots of ring pulls on beaches, caravan sites. Nothing valuable.
A friend of mine did it properly- he made a big part of his hobby reading up on Roman sites, sites of battles, old mansions long gone. He found some fabulous stuff, lots of Roman coins, broaches, musket balls, bits of old weapons, gold rings etc. Always got permission, said it was no problem if you asked properly and showed you were going to behave responsibly.