Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

Margaret Pilkington 29-12-2017 22:04

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

I am sure the farmer was very relieved to have his gold ring returned to him...and hopefully you will be repaid by some interesting find.

Accyexplorer 29-12-2017 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1206460)
I am sure the farmer was very relieved to have his gold ring returned to him...and hopefully you will be repaid by some interesting find.

As I handed it back the farmer moved in to embrace me, I moved swiftly out of arms reach....never before has my hate for unnecessary human contact been so cruelly exposed :D

Anyhow, as you’ve mentioned, the feeling of returning a lost item is treasure in itself and he did give me another field to search.

DaveinGermany 30-12-2017 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1206463)
As I handed it back the farmer moved in to embrace me, I moved swiftly out of arms reach....never before has my hate for unnecessary human contact been so cruelly exposed :D

That sure sounds like some kind of authorial quote, have you been sneakily bettering yourself Mr.AccyX? :)

Margaret Pilkington 30-12-2017 13:28

I am not a fan of hugs(unless it is someone I know)...but I think on this occasion I might have succumbed(unless the said farmer was covered in cow muck that is).
I think he wanted to display his gratitude....felt that a man hug was appropriate, but if that made you feel uncomfortable then so be it.

As I get older(or more mature) I find myself more accepting of someone giving me a hug.
It is more expressive than a handshake...that is the domain of business men and bankers and only means they are not carrying a dagger(still doesn't mean much emotionally)

Accyexplorer 01-01-2018 15:08

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1206494)
That sure sounds like some kind of authorial quote, have you been sneakily bettering yourself Mr.AccyX? :)

No, I must of heard it some place, it’ll take more than education to polish this little treasure :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1206499)
I am not a fan of hugs(unless it is someone I know)...but I think on this occasion I might have succumbed(unless the said farmer was covered in cow muck that is).
I think he wanted to display his gratitude....felt that a man hug was appropriate, but if that made you feel uncomfortable then so be it.

As I get older(or more mature) I find myself more accepting of someone giving me a hug.
It is more expressive than a handshake...that is the domain of business men and bankers and only means they are not carrying a dagger(still doesn't mean much emotionally)

I’m actually a fan of hugs, i believe they should be encouraged, I’m just not effectionate in that way unless I really know the person (I’m happy with a old fanshined handshake until then).

To say on topic, here is a lovely young Victoria shilling I dug up earlier before rain cancelled play.
Attachment 56503

Accyexplorer 03-03-2018 12:36

1 Attachment(s)
Just a little update, it turns out the thimble I found was “treasure”, sadly it shattered while I was trying to straighten it a bit :(

Attachment 56629

I sent a pic of the broken thimble to a friend who quickly sent me the link below :-

https://timelineauctions.com/lot/med...it-omnia/1372/

I contacted a local finds liason officer as required by law and this was his reply:-

“ Hi Jason, thanks for your email, it looks like a straightforward silver treasure case.
I believe the item is a post-medieval elongated silver thimble dating from 1500 to 1700AD. The thimble is incomplete now in 3 pieces originally constructed from a sheet of silver soldered along the edges attached to a separate domed top soldered to the almost straight sides. A plain band runs around the top of the body of the thimble separating the dome. Evenly spaced knot motifs are stamped immediately below this upper band. The body and most of the dome is punched with square indentations, giving a 'waffle' effect and decorated with knotted bands possibly representing strap work conjoined with smaller oval bands. On the domed top is possible an owners mark in capitals *D. J*. At the bottom of the body of the thimble is a plain silver band with an inscription. . The length is 30mm, the width is 18mm thickness 18mm and the weight is 4.46g.
Silver thimbles were used increasingly by the European nobility and gentry during the 17th Century but surviving examples are rare given that thimbles were much used and, when worn, were likely to have been melted down for their bullion value. In England, silver thimbles are documented as having been donated by women on the Parliamentary side to be melted down during the Civil War. Even later 17th Century English silver thimbles are rare, with few pieces in the national collections in The British Museum and the Museum of London. They are distinctive for their strapwork designs.” Finds officer

Margaret Pilkington 03-03-2018 15:47

That is really interesting.
It just shows that you never know unless you check out with someone knowledgable.

Mark2009 03-03-2018 18:11

What a shame it broke while you were working on it. Is there any way you could confirm what some or all of the letters are on the inscription around the bottom? Maybe somebody make a stab at identifying it further?
Mark

DaveinGermany 03-03-2018 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1209537)
Just a little update, it turns out the thimble I found was “treasure”, sadly it shattered while I was trying to straighten it a bit :(

What a "Pisher" that turned out to be!

Accyexplorer 05-03-2018 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1209540)
That is really interesting.
It just shows that you never know unless you check out with someone knowledgable.

Yes, like most things, it’s always worth running it past someone more knowledgable :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1209552)
What a shame it broke while you were working on it. Is there any way you could confirm what some or all of the letters are on the inscription around the bottom? Maybe somebody make a stab at identifying it further?
Mark

Hi Mark, the finds officer has taken the thimble so he can do his report (size,weight etc).
When his report is finished it gets sent to a coroner to make the decision that it’s treasure and not a modern lost item.

After that, it then gets offered to the British museum who either make a offer for the item or release it for public auction (this process take between 6months-2yrs :eek:).

If and when I get it back, it will hopefully have a full report (inc inscription) and I’ll be able to update folk further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1209553)
What a "Pisher" that turned out to be!

Everydays a school mate, it’s still a harsh lesson to learn :D

Accyexplorer 30-05-2018 20:31

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to get out for a hour with the detecting stick earlier, I didn’t find much apart from a old penny...better luck next time I guess :)
Attachment 56813