Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

dotti34 03-05-2015 22:26

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

I would have thought, after reading all the comments on this thread, that it would have been safer (and, dare I say it, more sensible) if these bullets - whether alive or dead - had been handed in to a proper disposal unit.

On the other hand, if you have a huge explosion in your garden which leaves a big hole I suppose you could always turn the hole where your garden used to be into a swimming pool.

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1140157)
I would have thought, after reading all the comments on this thread, that it would have been safer (and, dare I say it, more sensible) if these bullets - whether alive or dead - had been handed in to a proper disposal unit.

On the other hand, if you have a huge explosion in your garden which leaves a big hole I suppose you could always turn the hole where your garden used to be into a swimming pool.

I got paranoid after a friend told me that it's illegal to have (even accidentally) any ammunition over a inch in your possession.I doubt there would be enough powder to blow a hole in my garden but I'm no expert on that sort of thing.

Aussie Irene 04-05-2015 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1140082)
Just an aside to highlight my above point, out in the Iraqi desert there's a few grid references where you can find a couple of cases of "Swan aussie Alcohol free lager," several excess CES's for 432's, plus numerous trophies of war that became rather awkward or tiresome to lug around everywhere. Not forgetting all the kit the brass deemed so important that the lads sort of "lost" or that was "battle damaged" ;) :)

Dave, hubby reckons it would be very rare find indeed to dig up "Swan Alcohol FREE Lager". He says there was a "Swan Special Light Lager " which was on sale in the 80s which had .9% Alcohol but as far as he knows, is no longer on sale today. Swan is now owned by Lion Nathan.

DaveinGermany 04-05-2015 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1140171)
Dave, hubby reckons it would be very rare find indeed to dig up "Swan Alcohol FREE Lager"

It was Feb 1991 when it was buried though Irene. :) Some smartarse wide boy said he could get us a special delivery of Beer from the "gadaffi", we paid over the odds & picked it up with our resup of fuel & rations. Our intention of enjoying a beer while watching a desert sunset & the Gruntfantry digging in for the evening (we were armoured so didn't need to dig holes :D) lost its appeal after a couple of tinnies. With no effect despite being without alcohol for about 2 months so we read the small print on the tin & there it was to our disgust & dismay, alcohol free, something like 0.02% or some such horrendous number, needless to say it was binned & dire retribution was plotted against our "Supplier"! :rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 04-05-2015 21:28

3 Attachment(s)
One of the penny's from yesterday is dated 1865 that means it's probably been in the ground 100yrs+ :alright:

Attachment 48612Attachment 48613Attachment 48614

Eric 07-05-2015 13:09

You never know what you might find out there:

Canadian soldier honoured 70 years after death - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio

Gremlin 07-05-2015 16:03

I came across a hunter pocket watch last week, it had a Queen Victoria penny fitted into both side, heads and tails. Dated 1899. The best part about it was the battery was still powering the quartz movement. It's kept good time for a week now.

Accyexplorer 11-05-2015 19:59

4 Attachment(s)
I took my detecting stick up a well known local hill and had a hour or so searching for gold,sadly,i didn't find any.
However i did find silver :alright: and few other bits :)

Attachment 48728Attachment 48729Attachment 48730Attachment 48731

Accyexplorer 11-05-2015 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1140404)
I came across a hunter pocket watch last week, it had a Queen Victoria penny fitted into both side, heads and tails. Dated 1899. The best part about it was the battery was still powering the quartz movement. It's kept good time for a week now.

Nice timepiece ;)

Aussie Irene 12-05-2015 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140711)
I took my detecting stick up a well known local hill and had a hour or so searching for gold,sadly,i didn't find any.
However i did find silver :alright: and few other bits :)

Attachment 48728Attachment 48729Attachment 48730Attachment 48731

Accy x, I doubt whether you you will find any gold in or around Accy, get yourself a twelve months working visa, come over here, and go up to the goldfields. You never know, you may go home a millionaire. :eek:

DaveinGermany 12-05-2015 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1140724)
You never know, you may go home a millionaire. :eek:

As long as he doesn't get eaten by Dingoes! :D

Accyexplorer 12-05-2015 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1140724)
Accy x, I doubt whether you you will find any gold in or around Accy, get yourself a twelve months working visa, come over here, and go up to the goldfields. You never know, you may go home a millionaire. :eek:

I also doubt it I,but there's still that chance of a gold ring/chain ;)
As much as I'd love to come to Australia,on a 12mnths prospecting adventure ,my commitments keep me here.
Plus the folk who took part in gold rush's would of made it extremely hard for me to find enough gold to cover costs......

...you've got to be extremely lucky in the finding game :D

US Angel 13-05-2015 17:13

You neverknow lol

Hill Walker 14-05-2015 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140726)
As much as I'd love to come to Australia,on a 12mnths prospecting adventure ,my commitments keep me here.
Plus the folk who took part in gold rush's would of made it extremely hard for me to find enough gold to cover costs......

...you've got to be extremely lucky in the finding game :D

Actually there will be some gold in your area but your looking in the wrong place see:-

Gold in faeces 'worth millions' - BBC News

"Where theirs muck theirs brass" but you might not be welcome in either your home or local after a days prospecting!

Barrie Yates 14-05-2015 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1140081)
Oh I don't know Retlaw, the lads used to lose all kinds on a range day/exercise, coins, collar dogs, cap badges, buttons (zippo lighter, this I know personally as mine's sitting in the bottom of a trench somewhere on Achmer trg area :o) compo tins, more often buried on purpose than lost (full, usually cheese possessed or babbies heads) & a myriad of other Military paraphernalia. Like the lad said, it doesn't have to be about value, curiosity & the simple pleasure of unearthing a piece of a forgotten past does it for a detetectorist. :)

Chicken Fricasee springs to mind:D