Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

Clearviewsimon 04-08-2015 21:20

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

My pal has had some very good hauls from around reservoirs...there were a lot of workers who were paid in cash(who also enjoyed a drink) and subsequently lost a good bit of their wages. Also the land at the back of Fishmoor res net to Queens park hospital brought up quite a few temperance medals...

Accyexplorer 05-08-2015 05:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1146726)
Jason, it is going to take you a long time and a lot of digging to get rich at this rate.
Still, if it keeps you happy and gets you out in the fresh air, it can't all be bad.

All that digging does take its toll on your back at my dotage M :D
It opens the lungs and gets me out the house that's good enough for me.

Not being one to flout the law,I've found it rather difficult to secure land to detect on so I jump at the chance and you just don't know when I may stumble across that Accrington hoard ;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1146728)
He hasn't found enough to pay for the batteries yet!

Metal detector £140
Pin pointer £90
Spade £25
Trowel £15
Gloves £3
Jewellers eye glass £5
Batteries £5
Coin display pouches £5
Coin cleaning kit £4
Knee pads £5
My time £ ????

But the feeling when you dig that hole find something shiny....priceless...well close enough.
And I've found 5 spendable one pound coins....enough to cover my battery expenses :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clearviewsimon (Post 1146733)
My pal has had some very good hauls from around reservoirs...there were a lot of workers who were paid in cash(who also enjoyed a drink) and subsequently lost a good bit of their wages. Also the land at the back of Fishmoor res net to Queens park hospital brought up quite a few temperance medals...

I'll have to get try and get permission from the water board and take a trip out sometime,coins are nice but I prefer the unusual stuff.
The only military stuff I've had is old (live) bullets.

DaveinGermany 05-08-2015 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clearviewsimon (Post 1146733)
brought up quite a few temperance medals...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1146756)
The only military stuff I've had

Think these"Temperance Medals" may not be quite the Military medals you're hoping for. ;)

Accyexplorer 05-08-2015 14:00

If they sell then I'll dig for them ;)...folk even buy rusty old ring pulls :eek:

Accyexplorer 09-08-2015 18:54

3 Attachment(s)
I got out metal detecting again for a few hours this morning.I hit one of my pasture permissions which is fairly clean as far as rubbish goes.
To be honest, I did dig a fair few bits of (s)crap but its always a welcome treat when you have a day like today and find a array of different objects including coins :dancedog:

Here are the objects of note and there is a dollop of green (karma) for the first person to correctly ID the object in the last pic as i haven't the foggiest.

Attachment 50304Attachment 50305Attachment 50306

Accyexplorer 14-08-2015 14:40

2 Attachment(s)
I've just got back from a few hours in the rain doing a little detecting on a new local permission.
I went for a walk and ended up bumping into a nice chap who had a largish plot of land with a footpath running through it and after a little talking he said i could detect on it.
At first he was talking about legal contracts :eek: and how if i found treasure he wanted half (a fair percentage).I told him i preferred a good old fashioned handshake and a bit of trust and eventually he came around and agreed.so i cut my walk short and went home for the detector.
After id finished, i did go to show him the spoils but after a quick glance he seemed distant and uninterested :(
Anyhow,here is the 'treasure' ;)

Attachment 50345Attachment 50346

Also,is there any chance this thread can be moved to the hobbies section?

Accyexplorer 17-08-2015 18:45

2 Attachment(s)
Today i had a list of things to do and metal detecting wasn't on it.
By about 2 oclock I'd managed to get all the chores/jobs done and Mrs E said "why don't you pop out metal detecting" as she had to pop into town to get some bits,She was hardly off the street and I was in the car :D
I decided to head up to my new pasture permission, the weather was lovely and the sunshine was kissing my cheeks :hothothot
It threw up some interesting bits,including a few pre decimals,a Accy coop token and one piece in particular that intrigues me a little pedant with the words "Wembley Exhibition 1924"...any ideas anyone?
Afterwards,I went to show the landowner but he wasn't impressed by my spoils...I even offered him any item he liked....still no interest :(

Attachment 50396Attachment 50397

DaveinGermany 17-08-2015 19:23

British Empire exhibition 1924 souvenir, probably.

Accyexplorer 18-08-2015 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1148037)
British Empire exhibition 1924 souvenir, probably.

I think your right D,I've had a look and you can pick them up for peanuts on a popular auction site.
Still,it's a nice little personal item to add to my finds collection ;)

Accyexplorer 04-09-2015 17:55

2 Attachment(s)
I've been out for a couple of hours this evening on my new pasture permission,I decided to trawl the footpath and it ended up throwing up a few interesting bits including some coins :alright:
I found my first 1930s florin,a lead buyton/dress weight,a silver 3pence,a rusty brooch,a Carolina moon badge,a pro valetudine charm and a few bits of pre decimal pocket change.

Attachment 50588Attachment 50589

Accyexplorer 11-09-2015 23:01

3 Attachment(s)
After a long day (listening to our peg),I needed some quiet time so i got the detector and had a wander to my pasture permission.
The weather was nice and now the farmer knows me a little better he has said i can go on the fields whenever i like.
After a couple of hours and once the sun started disappearing,It soon got chilly so i decided to call it a day.

The finds of note are:

7 old half pennies
4 old one pennies
2 threepenny bits
2 dog tags
2 yale keys
1 Carabiner Clip
1 pound coin
1 rotting spoon
1 1933 George V shilling :dancedog:

Attachment 50727Attachment 50728 Attachment 50729

Accyexplorer 13-09-2015 10:28

5 Attachment(s)
I was up bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning so after a few odd jobs i decided to have a hour or so detecting on my pastured permission.

The finds of note are:

3 threepenny bits
2 old half pennies
2 Howard and bullough tokens
2 buttons
1 old 1910 penny and the pièce de résistance a ring that i suspect is costume jewelry.

Attachment 50778Attachment 50779Attachment 50780Attachment 50781Attachment 50782

Accyexplorer 17-09-2015 18:13

2 Attachment(s)
I had a couple of hours out with the detecting stick this evening.

The finds of note are:

6 old half pennies
3 old one pennies
2 six pence's
1 pound coin
1 threepence and a button :dancedog:

Attachment 50832Attachment 50833

Gordon Booth 17-09-2015 18:25

Half pennies? Pennies? Threepence's? Buttons?

That's all you ever find. Where are you detecting? Round an old workhouse?:confused:

Accyexplorer 17-09-2015 19:05

I prefer them sort of coins to live bullets but they are getting rather boring :D
I go detecting on a local farmers field that's got a owd footpath running through it.
I'd love to find Roman or medieval treasure but securing permission for them sort of sites (ribchester etc) is difficult due to detecting clubs and rallies paying landowners to keep the lone detectorists away.
The only other thing woud be to go "nighthawking" but im not prepared to do that.
Where did you go when you engaged in the hobby and did you ever find anything of value?