Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

***Mr D*** 28-03-2015 17:29

Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Long time no post for me, but I have just purchased a metal detector and google shows a few historic post on here relating to the hobby.

So first up any detectorists on here still?

Also anyone know of any local areas I can detect (with permission)? Or know of land owners who I could ask?

I have spoken to the council and await there reply.

I'm total new to the hobby, but will have public liability insurance, act responsible, remove any rubbish I find, show all finds to the land owner if they wish, I know the rules regarding treasure and have our local Finds liaison officers contact details on the off chance I get very lucky.

If anyone is interested, I will post my findings on here. Probably be mostly rubbish but you never know, if no one cares then I won't. :-)

Eric 28-03-2015 17:35

re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Look forward to hearing what you find. And "rubbish" can be worth money ... remember the old saying: where there's muck; there's brass;). The dinky toys I tossed away when I was a kid!:mad: They are worth real bucks now.

Accyexplorer 28-03-2015 17:41

I know there was a few detectorists on here but I've not seen any posts from them for a while.
I'd be keen to view your findings as I was thinking of getting myself one sometime in the future.I've read they can pay for themselves in days if your lucky.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for land owners to allow you permission to dig their fields up but wish you the best of luck.

Mick 28-03-2015 18:06

We looked into this and you need a licence as most of the land is crown property
The licence is free and can be got over the Internet
You will also need a special licence for use on beaches on or below the waterline when the tide is out
http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coas...t-application/
Here is the site

***Mr D*** 28-03-2015 18:47

Cheers Mick, I looked into licensing and the crown estate and the areas they have are very few round here, they have maps on there website.

I'm mainly at the moment just looking to learn my new machine, take kids out and let them have a go, so looking for somewhere local just to start off.

I think a lot of land would either be farmer owned, or under council control, may be owned by the duchy of Lancaster? I'm not sure though as just started looking into it.

***Mr D*** 30-03-2015 16:55

5 Attachment(s)
Don't know if anyone is interested but here are a few local finds from today.

Attachment 47969Attachment 47970Attachment 47971Attachment 47972Attachment 47973

If anyone has any idea on any of the items please share.

Bob Dobson 30-03-2015 20:07

W Stanton was probably a tailor. In 1952 a Martin Stanton, tailor was at 40 Abbey St and lived 73 Ormerod St. Maybe his ancestor had these buttons made. Research in the library needed

***Mr D*** 30-03-2015 20:29

Metal Detecting

Hi Bob, thanks for that information, a lot more than I expected.

Stevie R 30-03-2015 20:34

Looks like a faded image of King George V on picture 5
iOffer Want Ad: Looking for 1916 King George V One Penny

***Mr D*** 30-03-2015 20:37

Yes Stevie I believe it's a George V sixpence. Either badly worn or fake.

Accyexplorer 30-03-2015 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1137452)
Don't know if anyone is interested but here are a few local finds from today.

Attachment 47969Attachment 47970Attachment 47971Attachment 47972Attachment 47973

Nice one,good to see your responsible and don't leave the rubbish you find.
Looking forward to more finds in the future ;)

***Mr D*** 11-04-2015 21:36

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

3 Attachment(s)
A few more finds from today a few bullets.

Did find a few rotting half pennies and a quid. (gave that to the lad for his help).:D

Not sure what the last two pics are seems pretty big though, anyone any ideas?

Attachment 48196Attachment 48197Attachment 48198

DaveinGermany 12-04-2015 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1138537)
Not sure what the last two pics are seems pretty big though, anyone any ideas?

They look to be the metal jacket of a 9mm round or possibly .45 (as in your first picture you show 2 smallish spent cases).

Barrie Yates 12-04-2015 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1138558)
They look to be the metal jacket of a 9mm round or possibly .45 (as in your first picture you show 2 smallish spent cases).

Think you are pretty close there DinG, would help if something had been put alongside them so that they could be scaled

Stevie R 12-04-2015 16:53

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1138581)
Think you are pretty close there DinG, would help if something had been put alongside them so that they could be scaled

Something like this Barrie?

DaveinGermany 12-04-2015 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1138584)
Something like this Barrie?

Are you sure the Dinosnoterous is scaled Stevie? :)

***Mr D*** 13-04-2015 00:28

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1138558)

I think the first small casings are just .22?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1138581)

Yes, sorry I should of done that in the first place.:o

Attachment 48217Attachment 48218

***Mr D*** 18-04-2015 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1138623)
I think the first small casings are just .22?

Yes, sorry I should of done that in the first place.:o

Attachment 48217Attachment 48218

Still wondering what the large I presume bullet is anyone any ideas?

***Mr D*** 18-04-2015 18:41

5 Attachment(s)
A few more finds from today, also found a few old coins but badly corroded or worn, and some spendable money £3.05.:)

Attachment 48311

The rubbish I found.:D

Attachment 48312

Silver St Christopher pendant.

Attachment 48313

Interesting (Accrington) token of some sort I presume, any one any ideas?

Attachment 48314

Some unknown metal.

Attachment 48315

Girl Guide badge (presume old).

DaveinGermany 18-04-2015 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1139177)
Still wondering what the large I presume bullet is anyone any ideas?

I'd say a Rifle round, probably an old Enfield .303, as to your unidentified metal, whatever it is it looks like it's been melted at some point,

Accyexplorer 19-04-2015 01:16

Nice one.....

....The Accy&church co-op society fourpence token was usually used for bread or milk back in the day.

***Mr D*** 21-04-2015 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1139202)
I'd say a Rifle round, probably an old Enfield .303, as to your unidentified metal, whatever it is it looks like it's been melted at some point,

I believe the old white bullet could be some variant of a Minie ball suffering from lead oxide corrosion, which I find odd being found up the coppice.

Accyexplorer 22-04-2015 08:11

I've just ordered myself a (mid range) detector from eBay...

...watch this space :)

Retlaw 22-04-2015 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1139409)
I believe the old white bullet could be some variant of a Minie ball suffering from lead oxide corrosion, which I find odd being found up the coppice.

Minnie balls and other old lead ammo have turned up on the Coppice several times over the years, back in the days of the flint lock & percussion era of rifles & pistols, before Acc Bo\rough was even thought of there was a range somwhere up there. The more modern .303 MkII, MkVI & MkVII was used on the range at Hapton, that range was closed becuse of ricochets, several being found on Hambledon near the old gambling caves.

***Mr D*** 22-04-2015 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139205)
Nice one.....

....The Accy&church co-op society fourpence token was usually used for bread or milk back in the day.

Cheers Accy x, how much back in the day as its undated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1139433)
Minnie balls and other old lead ammo have turned up on the Coppice several times over the years, back in the days of the flint lock & percussion era of rifles & pistols, before Acc Bo\rough was even thought of there was a range somwhere up there. The more modern .303 MkII, MkVI & MkVII was used on the range at Hapton, that range was closed becuse of ricochets, several being found on Hambledon near the old gambling caves.

Thanks for that info Retlaw, happen I will come across more up there on my detecting travels, makes you think what could of gone on up there in days past.

ossy kid 22-04-2015 23:17

Just received a metal detector for my birthday, now to try it out. I used to have one many moons ago, had lots of fun with it, took it camping to old gold mining areas, once detected the metal corner of a buried suitcase, on opening it there was a half dozen old salmon paste jars, all empty?? Quite a let down as I imagined them being full of nuggets.
Off to the Gulf Islands tomorrow for a few days I think I,ll take it with me and try it out.
Re your photos could the larger object be a thimble Mr D?

Accyexplorer 23-04-2015 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1139457)
Cheers Accy x, how much back in the day as its undated.

Early 1900s??,no monetary value,a collectors piece would be my guess but I'm no coin expert.My detector should be here any day now I can't wait to get out and find gold :D
Do you have any recommendations as to best places to use it?

DaveinGermany 23-04-2015 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139494)
Do you have any recommendations as to best places to use it?

Where you've spoken to the land owner & been given permission would probably be a good starting point. ;)

Accyexplorer 24-04-2015 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1139495)
Where you've spoken to the land owner & been given permission would probably be a good starting point. ;)

Very subtle D ;),of course (being responsible) I will gain permission from landowners before destroying their field :D....

...see you in the trenches fellow detector'ists :)

Gordon Booth 24-04-2015 12:45

I had a dabble for a year or two, found a few coins, lots of ring pulls on beaches, caravan sites. Nothing valuable.
A friend of mine did it properly- he made a big part of his hobby reading up on Roman sites, sites of battles, old mansions long gone. He found some fabulous stuff, lots of Roman coins, broaches, musket balls, bits of old weapons, gold rings etc. Always got permission, said it was no problem if you asked properly and showed you were going to behave responsibly.

Accyexplorer 24-04-2015 12:49

5 Attachment(s)
Well, my detector came this morning and after spending a few hours on a friends field i discovered a musket ball? a few old pennies and a item of jewelry (not my friends)....not exactly the hoard of medieval gold i was after but it's a start :D.
My laptop is also fixed so i can upload pics again too ;)

Attachment 48428Attachment 48429Attachment 48430Attachment 48431Attachment 48432

US Angel 27-04-2015 14:39

It seems like you are all having fun

Accyexplorer 02-05-2015 15:49

2 Attachment(s)
I took my detector to the rifle range and at hapton and fond about 20 of these bullets in the same hole.

Attachment 48554Attachment 48555

Gordon Booth 02-05-2015 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140041)
I took my detector to the rifle range and at hapton and fond about 20 of these bullets in the same hole.

Those aren't bullets, they are live cartridges with powder and primers still in them.
They look like blanks(possibly .303) with no bullet in the end(see the crimping) but if one went off it could take your hand off.
After being in the ground all these years they will probably be unstable, liable to go off if you drop them or mess with them. If you're lucky the primer and powder will have been killed by the damp, if not???
Get rid of them quickly and carefully. You should really take them to the police, if you found them all together there may be more there which children could find.

DaveinGermany 02-05-2015 19:12

Quote:

Definitely blanks due to their crimped ends. Is there an indentation/strike mark on the base, if so they're misfires, if not they are still live & as such a possible danger if handled incorrectly.

Gordon Booth 02-05-2015 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1140052)
Definitely blanks due to their crimped ends. Is there an indentation/strike mark on the base, if so they're misfires, if not they are still live & as such a possible danger if handled incorrectly.

I was taught never to trust a misfire, DinG. Can go 'Pop' after a delay.
Even if they are misfires the primer may still be live, hit it in the right place and it could still 'Pop'.
Also there's still a lot of powder in there-could be exciting!

DaveinGermany 02-05-2015 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1140055)
Also there's still a lot of powder in there-could be exciting!

Most definitely! :D

Accyexplorer 02-05-2015 20:30

Thanks for the heads up guys,I thought they was just old bullets fired at the range (I hit them a number of times with my digging tool :eek:).
I've disposed of all the cartridges somewhere that they will pose no threat to folk.

Retlaw 02-05-2015 22:05

Quote:

Those are .303 blanks and should not be messed with especially after being in the ground so long. The charge inside is likely to be cordite 5/2, which is a mixture of nitro glicerine and guncotton disolved in acetone and then extrude into a tubular form, the nitro glycerine has been known to separate out after being stored incorrectly, and nitro will explode at the slightest spark or bang, what else would you expect to find on an old army range that would be of any value, go back to taking pictures you'l live longer.

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1140070)
Those are .303 blanks and should not be messed with especially after being in the ground so long. The charge inside is likely to be cordite 5/2, which is a mixture of nitro glicerine and guncotton disolved in acetone and then extrude into a tubular form, the nitro glycerine has been known to separate out after being stored incorrectly, and nitro will explode at the slightest spark or bang, what else would you expect to find on an old army range that would be of any value, go back to taking pictures you'l live longer.

Cheers for the input R.
Metal detecting (for me) is not about digging for things of monetary value (if it was I'd of quite already).For me,it's about the thrill of not knowing what lays beneath my feet (with the chance of finding something of value).

I never expected to find 'live' cartridges, I (incorrectly) assumed any and all ammo would be spent/fired.....I live and learn (this time) ;)

DaveinGermany 03-05-2015 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1140070)
what else would you expect to find on an old army range that would be of any value.

Oh I don't know Retlaw, the lads used to lose all kinds on a range day/exercise, coins, collar dogs, cap badges, buttons (zippo lighter, this I know personally as mine's sitting in the bottom of a trench somewhere on Achmer trg area :o) compo tins, more often buried on purpose than lost (full, usually cheese possessed or babbies heads) & a myriad of other Military paraphernalia. Like the lad said, it doesn't have to be about value, curiosity & the simple pleasure of unearthing a piece of a forgotten past does it for a detetectorist. :)

DaveinGermany 03-05-2015 07:13

Just an aside to highlight my above point, out in the Iraqi desert there's a few grid references where you can find a couple of cases of "Swan aussie Alcohol free lager," several excess CES's for 432's, plus numerous trophies of war that became rather awkward or tiresome to lug around everywhere. Not forgetting all the kit the brass deemed so important that the lads sort of "lost" or that was "battle damaged" ;) :)

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 10:21

1 Attachment(s)
I took my "detecting stick" up the coppice and had a few hours digging for medieval gold :D
Sadly,it was mainly trash (ring pulls,cans and bottle tops),but i did find a couple of coins (old pennies)and some other bits.

Attachment 48566

Less 03-05-2015 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140062)
Thanks for the heads up guys,I thought they was just old bullets fired at the range (I hit them a number of times with my digging tool :eek:).
I've disposed of all the cartridges somewhere that they will pose no threat to folk.

If you didn't realise they could be dangerous, how can you assume that you have disposed of them where they will pose not threat to folk?

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1140105)
If you didn't realise they could be dangerous, how can you assume that you have disposed of them where they will pose not threat to folk?

I've a rather deep hole in my garden (about 2ft deep) that I'm in the process of filling,I disposed of them in there and covered them with a 1ft of soil.
I doubt anyone will be digging that area of my garden again for quite a few years.

dotti34 03-05-2015 22:26

I would have thought, after reading all the comments on this thread, that it would have been safer (and, dare I say it, more sensible) if these bullets - whether alive or dead - had been handed in to a proper disposal unit.

On the other hand, if you have a huge explosion in your garden which leaves a big hole I suppose you could always turn the hole where your garden used to be into a swimming pool.

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1140157)
I would have thought, after reading all the comments on this thread, that it would have been safer (and, dare I say it, more sensible) if these bullets - whether alive or dead - had been handed in to a proper disposal unit.

On the other hand, if you have a huge explosion in your garden which leaves a big hole I suppose you could always turn the hole where your garden used to be into a swimming pool.

I got paranoid after a friend told me that it's illegal to have (even accidentally) any ammunition over a inch in your possession.I doubt there would be enough powder to blow a hole in my garden but I'm no expert on that sort of thing.

Aussie Irene 04-05-2015 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1140082)
Just an aside to highlight my above point, out in the Iraqi desert there's a few grid references where you can find a couple of cases of "Swan aussie Alcohol free lager," several excess CES's for 432's, plus numerous trophies of war that became rather awkward or tiresome to lug around everywhere. Not forgetting all the kit the brass deemed so important that the lads sort of "lost" or that was "battle damaged" ;) :)

Dave, hubby reckons it would be very rare find indeed to dig up "Swan Alcohol FREE Lager". He says there was a "Swan Special Light Lager " which was on sale in the 80s which had .9% Alcohol but as far as he knows, is no longer on sale today. Swan is now owned by Lion Nathan.

DaveinGermany 04-05-2015 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1140171)
Dave, hubby reckons it would be very rare find indeed to dig up "Swan Alcohol FREE Lager"

It was Feb 1991 when it was buried though Irene. :) Some smartarse wide boy said he could get us a special delivery of Beer from the "gadaffi", we paid over the odds & picked it up with our resup of fuel & rations. Our intention of enjoying a beer while watching a desert sunset & the Gruntfantry digging in for the evening (we were armoured so didn't need to dig holes :D) lost its appeal after a couple of tinnies. With no effect despite being without alcohol for about 2 months so we read the small print on the tin & there it was to our disgust & dismay, alcohol free, something like 0.02% or some such horrendous number, needless to say it was binned & dire retribution was plotted against our "Supplier"! :rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 04-05-2015 21:28

3 Attachment(s)
One of the penny's from yesterday is dated 1865 that means it's probably been in the ground 100yrs+ :alright:

Attachment 48612Attachment 48613Attachment 48614

Eric 07-05-2015 13:09

You never know what you might find out there:

Canadian soldier honoured 70 years after death - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio

Gremlin 07-05-2015 16:03

I came across a hunter pocket watch last week, it had a Queen Victoria penny fitted into both side, heads and tails. Dated 1899. The best part about it was the battery was still powering the quartz movement. It's kept good time for a week now.

Accyexplorer 11-05-2015 19:59

4 Attachment(s)
I took my detecting stick up a well known local hill and had a hour or so searching for gold,sadly,i didn't find any.
However i did find silver :alright: and few other bits :)

Attachment 48728Attachment 48729Attachment 48730Attachment 48731

Accyexplorer 11-05-2015 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1140404)
I came across a hunter pocket watch last week, it had a Queen Victoria penny fitted into both side, heads and tails. Dated 1899. The best part about it was the battery was still powering the quartz movement. It's kept good time for a week now.

Nice timepiece ;)

Aussie Irene 12-05-2015 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140711)
I took my detecting stick up a well known local hill and had a hour or so searching for gold,sadly,i didn't find any.
However i did find silver :alright: and few other bits :)

Attachment 48728Attachment 48729Attachment 48730Attachment 48731

Accy x, I doubt whether you you will find any gold in or around Accy, get yourself a twelve months working visa, come over here, and go up to the goldfields. You never know, you may go home a millionaire. :eek:

DaveinGermany 12-05-2015 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1140724)
You never know, you may go home a millionaire. :eek:

As long as he doesn't get eaten by Dingoes! :D

Accyexplorer 12-05-2015 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1140724)
Accy x, I doubt whether you you will find any gold in or around Accy, get yourself a twelve months working visa, come over here, and go up to the goldfields. You never know, you may go home a millionaire. :eek:

I also doubt it I,but there's still that chance of a gold ring/chain ;)
As much as I'd love to come to Australia,on a 12mnths prospecting adventure ,my commitments keep me here.
Plus the folk who took part in gold rush's would of made it extremely hard for me to find enough gold to cover costs......

...you've got to be extremely lucky in the finding game :D

US Angel 13-05-2015 17:13

You neverknow lol

Hill Walker 14-05-2015 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140726)
As much as I'd love to come to Australia,on a 12mnths prospecting adventure ,my commitments keep me here.
Plus the folk who took part in gold rush's would of made it extremely hard for me to find enough gold to cover costs......

...you've got to be extremely lucky in the finding game :D

Actually there will be some gold in your area but your looking in the wrong place see:-

Gold in faeces 'worth millions' - BBC News

"Where theirs muck theirs brass" but you might not be welcome in either your home or local after a days prospecting!

Barrie Yates 14-05-2015 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1140081)
Oh I don't know Retlaw, the lads used to lose all kinds on a range day/exercise, coins, collar dogs, cap badges, buttons (zippo lighter, this I know personally as mine's sitting in the bottom of a trench somewhere on Achmer trg area :o) compo tins, more often buried on purpose than lost (full, usually cheese possessed or babbies heads) & a myriad of other Military paraphernalia. Like the lad said, it doesn't have to be about value, curiosity & the simple pleasure of unearthing a piece of a forgotten past does it for a detetectorist. :)

Chicken Fricasee springs to mind:D

Accyexplorer 16-05-2015 17:20

7 Attachment(s)
I took my detecting stick out again today,after digging a lot of trash, i set my detector to coins and ended up pulled these old coins (and a button) out from about 3inch deep :alright:
Attachment 48835Attachment 48836Attachment 48837Attachment 48838Attachment 48839Attachment 48840Attachment 48841

Accyexplorer 31-05-2015 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
I took my detector up the coppice again today and struck gold (375) :alright:

I started around the trenches hoping for a old cap badge but grateful for anything.The first hour turned up nothing but old ring pulls and rubbish,then i heard a familiar tone (it was the coin tone) i quickly got out my trowel and began digging a hole.
About 3inches down there was a pound coin :) i ran my detector back over the hole and there it was again, clear as day, the same tone.
I began digging again and found another pound coin.
Then after about a hour of digging up more rubbish, a old penny and a old ship half penny, my detector made a tone i haven't heard before (8inch deep).
I started digging keen to see what it could be, after 10mins i was about to give up when there it was (my heart missed a beat :D ) a little gold band was just sitting at the bottom of the hole. :dancedog:

Attachment 49121

Aussie Irene 01-06-2015 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1141874)

I started around the trenches hoping for a old cap badge but grateful for anything.The first hour turned up nothing but old ring pulls and rubbish,then i heard a familiar tone (it was the coin tone) i quickly got out my trowel and began digging a hole.
About 3inches down there was a pound coin :) i ran my detector back over the hole and there it was again, clear as day, the same tone.
I began digging again and found another pound coin.
Then after about a hour of digging up more rubbish, a old penny and a old ship half penny, my detector made a tone i haven't heard before (8inch deep).
I started digging keen to see what it could be, after 10mins i was about to give up when there it was (my heart missed a beat :D ) a little gold band was just sitting at the bottom of the hole. :dancedog:

Attachment 49121

See Accy x, you did'nt need to come to Australia after all.:D

US Angel 03-06-2015 13:34

I guess there's gold in them there hills after all lol

Gordon Booth 05-06-2015 17:46

Quote:

Attachment 49121

If you clean it up and there are hallmarks on the inside a jeweller will be able to tell you how old it is.

Accyexplorer 05-06-2015 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1142128)
If you clean it up and there are hallmarks on the inside a jeweller will be able to tell you how old it is.

mid 1900s is my guess but i will take it to a jeweller next week to make sure :)

Accyexplorer 19-06-2015 17:45

10 Attachment(s)
Continuing my quest to find the Accrington hoard,i decided to take the metal detector for a walk again.
After digging several holes,unearthing nothing but ring pulls,bottle tops and tin foil ,the metal detector went off the scale.
As my heart beat got faster and my excitement grew, I carefully dug the area in anticipation of the treasure that I would soon behold. Suddenly, I felt a shudder as my trowel made contact with a metallic sounding object....

....Imagine my disappointment as I pulled out a ruddy old key :(
After setting it to just coins and adjusting the sensitivity the coins started rolling in (including a sterling silver shilling :D).

Attachment 49473Attachment 49474Attachment 49475Attachment 49476Attachment 49477Attachment 49478Attachment 49479Attachment 49480Attachment 49481Attachment 49482

Gordon Booth 19-06-2015 18:01

Did you find out how old the ring was?

Accyexplorer 19-06-2015 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1142992)

No,not as yet...

.."Watch this space" as they say :)

Neil 20-06-2015 10:28

Quote:

I took my detector up the coppice again today and struck gold......

Do you have the required insurance and paperwork to be detecting on HBC land or is this another of your dodgy activities?

Accyexplorer 20-06-2015 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1143016)
Do you have the required insurance and paperwork to be detecting on HBC land or is this another of your dodgy activities?

I'm not sure I like what your suggesting N :D.
Of course,I have insurance it comes with being a (paid) member of the metal detecting council and I also have permission (in writing) to dig up coppice (and all parks) from HBC.
You should get a detector then we can arrange a dig in ryddings park or somewhere (assuming your paperwork is in order) ;)

Neil 21-06-2015 10:20

How recently did you get the HBC paperwork? I was reading the agreement last week as it's a recent thing.

Accyexplorer 21-06-2015 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1143048)
How recently did you get the HBC paperwork? I was reading the agreement last week as it's a recent thing.

HBC gave me the ok to dig up on the coppice about 3wks ago when I recieved my insurance paperwork from the detecting council.
I emailed them last week and asked for all the parks to be added to the list (which they did,no questions asked).
I've seen a few folk detecting on oak hill and Arden hall but Im unsure if they have found anything of interest because I was too shy to go over an ask :)

Gordon Booth 21-06-2015 14:49

I'm surprised they let metal detectors loose in the parks! You may be responsible but young uns seeing you may decide to have a go without permission and make a mess.
Do you have to do a bit of weeding while you're at it?:eek:

Accyexplorer 21-06-2015 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1143060)
I'm surprised they let metal detectors loose in the parks! You may be responsible but young uns seeing you may decide to have a go without permission and make a mess.
Do you have to do a bit of weeding while you're at it?:eek:

I'm surprised too,I thought it would of been a straight No (like other councils).
HBC seem ok with the fact I want to dig the town up :eek:...weeding is a optional extra :D

Neil 21-06-2015 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1143063)
I'm surprised too,I thought it would of been a straight No (like other councils).
HBC seem ok with the fact I want to dig the town up :eek:...weeding is a optional extra :D

It's a new thing, until recently the answer was no. I only asked as I was shown the paperwork you will have signed with the conditions on last week. I thought the bit about phoning Accrington Police station should have given you the number to call.

Accyexplorer 21-06-2015 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1143081)
It's a new thing, until recently the answer was no. I only asked as I was shown the paperwork you will have signed with the conditions on last week. I thought the bit about phoning Accrington Police station should have given you the number to call.

Councils way of not discriminating against hobbyists? ;)

I didn't read it all if I'm honest,I just read the part about where I am and where I'm not allowed to go digging.

Was it just to grass illegal detectorist's up?

Neil 22-06-2015 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1143089)
Councils way of not discriminating against hobbyists? ;)

I didn't read it all if I'm honest,I just read the part about where I am and where I'm not allowed to go digging.

Was it just to grass illegal detectorist's up?

It's to make sure you don't dig up certain areas and do damage. It also says what you have to do with certain types of find

Accyexplorer 22-06-2015 22:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1143161)
It's to make sure you don't dig up certain areas and do damage. It also says what you have to do with certain types of find

Yes,the obvious stuff like rised flower beds and bowling greens.
I don't think our local liaison officer is going to be interested in any of my finds but if they are they can find them on here ;)

Here are a couple of old half penny's and a heavy ball bearing/musket ball I found today...I only had a hour :(.

Attachment 49540

Accyexplorer 25-06-2015 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1142992)

Well,I had it examined by a jeweller today who informed me that it was in a terrible condition but concluded it was made around 1921.
It's probably been in the ground 50+ years,it's a nice personal item that some poor soul lost back in the day.

Accyexplorer 03-07-2015 13:37

1 Attachment(s)
After meeting a fellow detectorist and receiving some advice ("swing slow and low"),i thought I'd share today's findings.

1 hour on Arden hall park---near the old mansion house with the detector in coin mode.

Findings included:-
2 Georgey porgey pennies
2 sticky Vickie pennies
2 modern (spendable) pound coins
1 threepenny bit
2 ship half pennies

Attachment 49736

gpick24 03-07-2015 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1143900)
..."swing slow and low"...

I could have told you that.:D

DaveinGermany 03-07-2015 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1143900)
"swing slow and low"

Tighter pants mate! ;)

Accyexplorer 04-07-2015 18:14

7 Attachment(s)
Evening folks :dancedog:

Well I've had a lovely couple of hours detecting in the sunshine :hothothot
I went to a new permission and hopes we're high (I wasn't disappointed).
First hour seemed to be ringpulls,small pieces of lead and other bits of trash but second hour produced the spoils :D

I got my first interesting signal (3"down) after a little digging and with sweat dripping from my forehead out popped a slightly damaged 1965 half penny then tens yards later another 1918 one.
After another 10mins or so out popped a (50%) silver sixpence :alright:
Then a array of bits made themselves known including:-

2 (spendable) one pound coins
A dog tag/pendant
A 1948 shilling
A metal figurine
And a metal wheel thing

Attachment 49748Attachment 49749Attachment 49750Attachment 49751Attachment 49752Attachment 49753Attachment 49754

Pudwoppa 04-07-2015 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 1137452)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1137499)
W Stanton was probably a tailor. In 1952 a Martin Stanton, tailor was at 40 Abbey St and lived 73 Ormerod St. Maybe his ancestor had these buttons made. Research in the library needed

Sorry to drag up an old post. I think the button reads "M W Stanton" - coincidentally, I've just seen a vintage coat on ebay with a label the same name (link).

Gordon Booth 04-07-2015 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1143960)
a slightly damaged 1965 half penny then tens yards later another 1918 one.
After another 10mins or so out popped a (50%) silver sixpence :alright:
Then a array of bits made themselves known including:-

2 (spendable) one pound coins
A dog tag/pendant
A 1948 shilling
A metal figurine
And a metal wheel thing
]

Good going, keep it up!
Another year and you'll have paid for the batteries.
Another 50 years and you'll have paid for the detector.:D

Accyexplorer 05-07-2015 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1143978)
Good going, keep it up!
Another year and you'll have paid for the batteries.
Another 50 years and you'll have paid for the detector.:D

Thanks for the positive input G ;)

It's not always about the money (good job really),it's about getting out the house and getting some exercise and fresh air....

..you should try it :D

Gordon Booth 05-07-2015 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1144006)

It's not always about the money (good job really),it's about getting out the house and getting some exercise and fresh air..

..you should try it :D

I have and I really enjoyed it although I never got rich!
It's a good relaxing way of getting out in the fresh air,I fully agree.
And there's always that 'One day I might just get lucky' feeling.

Accyexplorer 05-07-2015 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1144010)
I have and I really enjoyed it although I never got rich!
It's a good relaxing way of getting out in the fresh air,I fully agree.
And there's always that 'One day I might just get lucky' feeling.

Exactly, I'm surprised at the amount of coins I've found,them past Accy folk weren't afraid to put their hand in their pockets.
And there is the local history side of it..

...I've still no idea what period the old (lead soldier?) figurine or wheel/spinning top are from so if anyone can help :alright:

DAV007 05-07-2015 21:51

accyexplorer,
what machine are you using?

Accyexplorer 05-07-2015 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1144049)
accyexplorer,
what machine are you using?

It's a fisher F2,nothing fancy.

My interest in the hobby probably stems from my childhood memories of folk like Indiana Jones and The Goonies.
Sadly,Nowadays hunting for treasure is a lost art,lost to things like the interweb and gaming devices.
I believe parents should encourage their kids more to do like metal detecting,help them grow keys skills.....skills which they will rely on later in adulthood (problem solving etc).

Accyexplorer 11-07-2015 08:37

I've acquired permission to dig at a good site in church kirk and I was thinking of getting a few members together and having a dig and a chin wag.
If anyone is interested please PM me and we can arrange something for in a few weeks time.You'll also need to be a member of the NCMD for insurance purposes.
The permission is only the size of about 10 football pitches but dates back to medieval times.

Accyexplorer 12-07-2015 18:03

1 Attachment(s)
The commanding officer went out with a few of her friends so I decided to take the detecting stick for another,after digging 10+ holes, I was sweating like a dyslexic on countdown.
I managed to find a few pre decimal coins and a bullet casing :dancedog:

Attachment 49879

Gordon Booth 12-07-2015 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1144591)
I managed to find a few pre decimal coins and a bullet casing :dancedog:
Attachment 49879

You've done it again!
It's not a bullet casing- it's another live cartridge.Get rid before it goes-

BANG

Accyexplorer 12-07-2015 20:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1144596)
You've done it again!
It's not a bullet casing- it's another live cartridge.Get rid before it goes-

BANG

What's with all the 'live' bullets in our area?
Is it a Lee Enfield 303? Attachment 49890..

..Once again, I bow to folks military knowledge,it's been disposed of :worthy:

DaveinGermany 13-07-2015 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1144591)
a bullet casing Attachment 49879

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1144596)
Get rid before it goes-BANG

Your bullet casing is in actuality a "Live round" & Gord, someone's already tried to make it go bang but failed miserably, it's a misfire, you'll notice a small indentation (caused by the firing pin strike) in the percussion cap but as the round is still in the case you're talking a duff round. That said though, it's still best to get rid.

Gordon Booth 13-07-2015 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1144663)
Your bullet casing is in actuality a "Live round" & Gord, someone's already tried to make it go bang but failed miserably, it's a misfire, you'll notice a small indentation (caused by the firing pin strike) in the percussion cap but as the round is still in the case you're talking a duff round. That said though, it's still best to get rid.

I thought I could see a firing pin dent but as you know, DinG, bang that cap again and it could still go-

BANG

I've tried re-chambering a misfire with the case turned round for a fresh strike, they usually go off!

Accyexplorer 17-07-2015 17:57

3 Attachment(s)
I took my detecting stick for a walk and had a couple of hours digging.
Here are the finds of interest including two 50% silver sixpences :alright:

Attachment 49988Attachment 49989Attachment 49990

Accyexplorer 20-07-2015 12:44

2 Attachment(s)
I had a couple of hours detecting on a local permission site today and (along with the usual junk) unearthed these beauties :alright:

Attachment 50078Attachment 50079

Clearviewsimon 21-07-2015 20:53

some great finds there Accyexplorer. Shame you couldn't unearth some earlier hammered coins. A friend of mine has had some terrific finds, some of his Roman hoards are displayed in Blackburn Museum.
Pm me and I will put you onto him through Facebook. He's a nice guy with a vast knowledge of local history and did sites.