Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2004, 12:57   #1
God Member

Church Cricket Club

Amazing, in'it! Here is Church, currently residing at the top of the Lancashire League and on form to win .How many threads do we find posted on here? 10? 20? No....zero. I recall lots of threads on that apology of a footy team called England (total crap from start to premature but not unexpected finish)....more nonsense about Rovers (why bother)....but nowt at all about Church.
Why is this? Is is possibly because Church have quietly just got on with the job of winning without all the hype and drivel that goes with failed footy teams? Please advise, someone.

P.S. here's an omen....last time Church won the league was in the 1962 season, the last full season for the old Stanley....shortly after, the receivers were called in. Lets just hope that in Stanleys first season as Pro's, the books will have been balanced (probably not, if they use the same accountants as HBC)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2004, 13:05   #2
God Member

Re: Church Cricket Club

Accrington messageboard.. Church CC is in hmmm .... is it in Accy?

OK a little pedantic.. but thats what your looking for anyways
Old 19-07-2004, 13:15   #3
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Accrington messageboard.. Church CC is in hmmm .... is it in Accy?

OK a little pedantic.. but thats what your looking for anyways
Foul.......Church is part of Accy and was here before Accrington was spit up from the bowels of the earth that made it what it was.

I must say, that reveries apart “with is both to be expected and accepted on all parts” Not only are Church CC doing well, they have an history that has survive, where Stanley is reborn and not yet secure.

Again reveries apart, they both should be supported and applauded for there efforts…Something to be proud of perhaps………..
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 14:15   #4
mez
God Member

well wot can i say , church cc as far as i can remember, have not been to bad a club, i have in the past been known to watch emmanuel c/c up new lane & i like cricket , so please dont knock our good cricket team, come on church up you brilliant lads yeah//
Old 19-07-2004, 14:47   #5
God Member

Mez... Who is knocking anyone? I cant see anyone knocking any cricket team...Why are you sayong that? In fact all I can see is praise.....
Old 19-07-2004, 14:51   #6
Roy
Administrator

hmmm.. you mean they still play cricket even though pubs can open all sunday afternoon now??
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 14:54   #7
mez
God Member

oops i do apologise i didnt mean to knock our great church cricket team sorry//
Old 19-07-2004, 15:19   #8
Member.

You didn't Mez.....You where perhaps warning others in advance. I have aft to say Roy, my balling is far better after I come out of the pub than it ever was before I go in. Going to the pub before a match allows you to see the wicket in a much larger perspective, that said they do tend to move around a bit more and the out field just disappear….lol

Last edited by Doug; 19-07-2004 at 16:59.
Old 19-07-2004, 16:48   #9
God Member

mez your losing me you didnt knock them and niether did anyone else. i was asking why your telling others not to knock them when they havent..it seemed strange when everyone was praising them thats all
Old 19-07-2004, 20:01   #10
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I've watched both Accrington and Church this year and the standard of cricket played by Church is excellent, I hope they can hold on because the league has been a bit predictable over the past few years.
By the way Accrington play Church on 15th August and I'm sure there will be a big crowd rain permitting so why not get up to Accy's ground and watch.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 15:51   #11
God Member

Yeah...it's cracking stuff. I hope everyone is going over to see Church sort out Burnley, big time, on Sunday....shame I won't be there.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 18:21   #12

Congratulation are due it seems.

The reason there aren't any threads apart from this one is probably due to the fact that the number of people interested in this sport is dwindling both nationally and locally. My brothers and I played when we were younger, one of us for Lancashire Schoolboys with Flintoff, but none of us are really that bothered with it these days......I think that attitude is mirrored in the majority of people of my generation. Also....we have Accy, Enfield and Rishton in the area - cricket fans that there are in the area (and who peruse these forums) may not 'support/follow' Church.

I'm not having a go....just stating why the apparent apathy maybe present. MY respect and good wishes are always with our sportsmen and women whether at a local/national or international level.
Old 25-07-2004, 18:13   #13
Member.

How did it go today. Any comments.
Old 25-07-2004, 21:09   #14
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Accrington was called off so I presume there was no play at Church too.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 21:13   #15
Member.

Cheers Bagpuss, I'll keep an eye open.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..