Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2016, 22:04   #226

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

That's a really interesting find! I zoomed in and I swear I can see duck's heads on each of the 'arms'. It certainly does look like that Tibetan object, though, so the ducks aren't likely.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2016, 09:28   #227
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
That's a really interesting find! I zoomed in and I swear I can see duck's heads on each of the 'arms'. It certainly does look like that Tibetan object, though, so the ducks aren't likely.
Very observant T,I hadn't noticed them till you said,there are 4 on each arm....they certainly look like ducks .

image.jpeg
Turtle likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 22:23   #228

Just my imagination LOL
Old 16-02-2016, 08:45   #229

Hi Accyexplorer
Just thought you might like to know I was out detecting yesterday, only the third time this year due to the weather.
Anyway I stayed local and went on the Coppice and around the lodges. At first it was just the usual Victorian pennies and half pennies I was finding.
The first interesting item to come up was a medieval lead spindle whorl, I was well chuffed to find something so old on my own doorstep. The next item I found was a Queen Elizabeth 1st silver shilling very pleased indeed. The coin is very worn and I cannot make out the date but I can definitely identify it as Queen Elizabeth 1st, it would have been stamped sometime between 1558-1603.

Sorry I still cant get any pictures on here yet. maybe when i get time i will sit down and figure it out

You probably think I am making this up but the first time out this year I found a gents gold ID bracelett. It was worth £235

Second time out I was near Clitheroe Castle and i found nothing
Stevie R, Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 14:14   #230
Senior Member+

Hi disco,Sounds like you had a good day,I've done round the lodges myself but only found (s)crap and a few pre-decimal coins (1900s).
I'd like to see pics of your finds when you have the time to figure out the uploading process.
I have no reason to doubt you when you say you found a gold bracelet....Nice one

password--Accyweb
Old 16-02-2016, 14:22   #231
Senior Member+

I decided to take the detecting stick for another walk across my new pastured permission today.
It was a bit brass at first till I found another military cap badge then I soon forgot about the cold and ended up finding a little cross pedant (probably gold plated originally) and what I thought was a gold brooch.....sadly,it was just gold in colour (no hallmark....AGAIN)

image.jpg
Turtle likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 17-02-2016, 16:42   #232
Senior Member+

No prizes for guessing where I went today (local pasture permission),the weather was terrible and the finds were not far behind till 'BOOM' out popped a 'gold' ring (hallmarked)
I also found a couple of Georgey porgey pennies and a medieval mobile phone

image.jpg
Stevie R, Turtle and lulubeaut like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 17-02-2016, 22:06   #233
Senior Member+

UPDATE

The ring turned out to be a Vintage 'Gold Plated' Sterling Silver JHW Signet ring (2.1g),there is one currently selling at £21 on a well known auction site....

...The phone turned out to be a (none working) old Nokia (not medieval).....

...the search continues.
Mick, Stevie R and stjosephsfc like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 18-02-2016, 16:34   #234
Senior Member+

When I awoke this morning I noticed a bright light in the sky,I assumed this was a sign from the detecting gods,it turned out to be just the sun.
Anyhow,I decided to have a hour or so on my new permission,it turned up quite a few bits including a (925) silver ring

The finds of note are:-

3 old half pennies
2 belt buckles
2 pound coins
1 two pound coin
1 silver ring

image.jpg
Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 18-02-2016, 20:49   #235

Ooh I hope it's not someone's wedding band. Even being silver, it could be that.
Makes me think of all those precious items of mine that went missing. Did they fall off down to the ground somewhere? Still, better found, and appreciated by an intrepid metal- detectionist
Old 19-02-2016, 13:42   #236
Senior Member+

Yes,I thought the same,it does look like a wedding band.
Maybe a couple had a domestic dispute and he tossed it onto my permission in a moment of rage
It would be nice to reunite it with its rightful owner (as would a few other items I've found)

password--Accyweb
Old 21-02-2016, 10:20   #237
Senior Member+

Today I decided to have a stroll in the wind and rain with my detecting stick.
The ground was saturated and extremely muddy.

At first it was modern pocket change then out popped a few pre-decimals,a buckle and a (Celtic?) coin with a cross on it.
I'll tell you what,you can't beat the feeling of walking across a field,detector in hand,and within a couple hours your holding coins and other objects from our past.I'm probably the first person to hold them older coins in 50+years....it gives you a buzz

image.jpg
Stevie R and stjosephsfc like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 21-02-2016, 11:33   #238
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
a (Celtic?) coin with a cross on it.
What's on the reverse of the coin with the cross? And can you tell what the "coin" is made of?
Old 21-02-2016, 14:13   #239
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
What's on the reverse of the coin with the cross? And can you tell what the "coin" is made of?
It's not made of lead,silver,platinum or gold and it doesn't look like copper,bronze,tin or iron

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 21-02-2016, 14:46   #240
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think you may need to do a rubbing to pick up details of the reverse side, but it appears to resemble a "Spanish cob". But as it's not a precious metal it's more likely "tourist tat".

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-data/cq_ro/response_graphics/exano_1736_fake.jpg

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..