Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2016, 03:37   #271

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

AccyX. Still assuming I am following the right family I have found out a bit more courtesy of Lancashire BMD. As well as Catherine Muriel and Frank there was another daughter Sarah, born 1905. I still can’t find any children from Catherine or Frank but Sarah married John Thomas Ingham in 1936. Their daughter, Dorothy Muriel Ingham was born in Great Harwood in 1943.

Dorothy Muriel married David Hepworth in 1965 and their two sons are Alistair Mark Hepworth born in 1969 and Nicholas David born in 1972. Both boys were born in Clitheroe.

If I have followed the ‘clues’ correctly then by my reckoning these two would be the great-grandsons of your Joseph.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2016, 05:26   #272

Have just found an address in Grindleton for Dorothy and David Hepworth, as above. If you can't find it I can p/m you.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:31   #273

If you do contact Mrs. Hepworth, AccyX, it will be very interesting to know if she is, in fact, Joseph's granddaughter. On the other hand I could be all up-a-wattle. Hope I'm not.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:03   #274
Beacon of light

Wow, Dotti.....well done. I hope you are not all 'up a Wattle'......I hope your sleuthing turns out to be spot on.....and the family are reunited with this bit of their family history.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:39   #275
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Have just found an address in Grindleton for Dorothy and David Hepworth, as above. If you can't find it I can p/m you.
Thank you D,your sleuthing seems to tie in with what I've found so hopefully we're on the right track.
If you could PM me the address I would be most greatful,I will try to contact Dorothy and hopefully she'll be able to prove provenience and I can reunite her with her grandfathers war medal.

I appreciate the the odds of finding a medal and reuniting it with a family member (where it belongs) are slim to none but it would mean so much to me,it has been hard work joining forums,contacting folk and scouring online records....

...but the net is closing
Stevie R likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 09-04-2016 at 09:42.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:23   #276

Hi AccyX, have just p/m'd you as requested. Please let me know if you have any problem getting this. I hope you are successful in placing the medal with a family member.

Thanks, Margaret, for your comments. This sort of sleuthing is good fun - though frustrating at times. Hope I've put AccyX on the right track.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:46   #277

Great detective work, dotti! And kudos to you AccyEx for trying to bring this medal to family members.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 13:06   #278
Senior Member+

I decided to take the detecting stick to a local park,I didn't really find that much that was note worthy but the weather was lovely,the youth were quite(ish) and the birds were singing.

Anyhow,The finds of note are:-

2 pre decimal pennies
1 threepence
1 old 10p coin
1 two shillings coin
1 old 50p coin
1 cats eye
1 key
1 tag object which reads "shut"
1 Unknown metallic object and £4..60p in spendable coins

image.jpg
Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 09-04-2016, 22:51   #279

Thanks, Turtle. Hope I'm not left with egg on my face if I've pursued the wrong family. Oops!
Old 11-04-2016, 22:45   #280
Senior Member+

I decided to take advantage of the fine weather this aft and I took the detecting stick for a stroll.
I went on a local field that I've had good results from in the past,I found a patch that rabbits or whatever had thinned in amongst the longer grass and thought I'd give it a go....

...I wasn't disappointed.

Anyhow,the finds of note are:-

7 pre decimal pennies
5 pre decimal half pennies
2 threepenny bits
1 silver 3d
1 silver jug charm
1 pendant that reads "I'm a Catholic in case of a accident call a priest".
1 silver earring
1 large Unknown pendant/medal
1 lovely Edward Vii silver two shillings/one florin coin

image.jpeg

password--Accyweb
Old 15-04-2016, 12:52   #281
Senior Member+

After a cold(ish) start today the weather warmed up slightly making pleasant detecting conditions.

First of all,I decided to do a local pasture permission,but it turned up nothing but rubbish and a 20p coin.
Feeling hard done to,I decided to spend a hour on another permission on the way home.

After surveying the area and guessing as to where folk may have been walking (and hopefully dropping items) I got down to detecting.
It turned out to be a good guess as I found a few items of note.

The finds of note are:-

3 owd pennies
2 owd pennies
2 owd buttons
1 threepenny bit
1 (silver) 1865 sixpence
1 heart shaped item
1 (gold) ring
1 (gold) pendant and £1.75p in spendable change

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 15-04-2016, 13:46   #282
Senior Member+

I've got a query regarding metal detecting.

Firstly,do you think carrying a metal detector could be classed by the police as going equipt to steal?

If it was 2am and you was lurking around lets say a Roman heritage site, I could understand.
But if I was carrying my detecting stick down the road,going about my lawful business,do you think this could be classed as suspicious behaviour by the police and give them reasonable grounds for say a "stop and search"?

Secondly,if I found something while participating in my past time but I don't take reasonable steps to find its owner is this "theft by finding" in the eyes of the law?

I wonder what the police would do if I went to the station with all my finds and said I've found these and then handed them a carrier bag half full of my detecting finds

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 15-04-2016 at 13:49.
Old 15-04-2016, 14:17   #283
Beacon of light

Jason are you asking this question because you have been accosted by the police...or is it just academic?
There must be some guidelines which metal detector enthusiasts follow......have you sought out these.

https://finds.org.uk/getinvolved/guides/codeofpractice
Maybe this will help.
I haven't read it so I do not know if it answers your queries.
Old 15-04-2016, 14:19   #284
Beacon of light

Laws on Detecting - DiggingUpThePast

Just a quick 'google'brought these up....I am sure there will be more if you want to search
Old 16-04-2016, 23:26   #285
Senior Member+

Purely theoretical M,I'm aware and also adhere to the code of conduct for metal detecting.

It was just something I read on a forum about a chap who was stopped by the local bobbies for carrying his detector,and they allegedly said this act can be seen as going equipt to steal and proceeded to perform a "stop and search".

I'm no legal beagle,but is carrying a metal detector (with lawful excuse) reasonable grounds for one of these search things? Hmmm,I'm not too sure is it.

They also informed him that anything significant he finds should be reported at the station then the police can do their enquires into whether it's actually lost or not..

..Well since most of the items I have found have been in the ground for 50+years I doubt anyone will be in a rush to claim its theirs

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..