Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2016, 07:07   #286

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Margaret, I read the links you provided and it really is interesting. Didn't know there was so much involved, and so many do's and don'ts.

Like you, I also wondered why AccyX wanted to know the law about carrying a metal detecting device. Thank goodness it was only a 'what if' question.

By the way, AccyX, have you had any luck with giving the WWI medal to Mr. B's descendant yet? Or is it back to the drawing board? Hope you've managed to locate the right person.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2016, 07:30   #287
Beacon of light

Yes Dotti, I was just at an idle moment so I thought I would just do a quick search.

I can't imagine any of our local police having time to stop,someone carrying a metal detector.....They should be too busy checking that the recent legislation regarding the micro-chipping of dogs has been carried out in accordance with the law.....and the less recent law of those driving whilst on the phone.

As Jason says, finding the owner of something that has been lying for decades in the soil is not something that they should be worrying about.
If the owner of the field is happy for someone to be doing a bit of prospecting then that should be the end of it....well, unless something of historical interest or value is unearthed and that is fully covered by law.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 11:29   #288
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't imagine any of our local police having time to stop,someone carrying a metal detector....
I can, what passes for our modern day coppers are more concerned with meeting targets & easy pinches, anything that puts them out or may involve some real old fashioned Copperin' doesn't appeal nowadays.
Old 17-04-2016, 13:14   #289
Beacon of light

I can't remember the last time I saw a real police person on foot.
I see them frequently with their blues and twos on haring through the centre of town(well, there is nothing to linger in town for, I guess)
It might all change when the new Bobby house opens on Broadway......but only between 9 and 5 and not on a weekend or a bank holiday.
Old 17-04-2016, 23:38   #290
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
By the way, AccyX, have you had any luck with giving the WWI medal to Mr. B's descendant yet? Or is it back to the drawing board? Hope you've managed to locate the right person.
I've had to put it on the back burner for the minute D,I'm over run at work and with everything else in life,I just haven't had the time to sort it out yet.
I've two paparazzi wanting to publish a appeal in the local papers too so fingers crossed.
You'll be the first to know when I do reunite it,after all,if it wasn't for yourself and others on here, I may of lost interest and chucked it in a drawer

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:30   #291

Hi AccyX. Thought I'd 'help' a bit further (in other words sticking my nose in a bit more, sorry - can't help myself!) and have now found the phone number for the Hepworths at Grindleton. Am sending a p/m to you with this information. A call to Dorothy there would either end the search or, if the wrong family, would eliminate her from your enquiries. If she is Mr. B's granddaughter then no need for the public appeal, though it would make a 'good news' story and worthy of publishing. Best of luck with your endeavours.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:11   #292
Beacon of light

If Jason phones this lady and it IS the right person, then I can see this story making the Nationals and perhaps even the North West teatime news.
Wouldn't that be good? More so, if he mentioned the help from half a world away.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:50   #293

It would be better still, Margaret, if it is the right person, and if it becomes a newsworthy story, that Accrington Web and its network of friends gets a mention.

Of course it all hinges on if the clues we have followed have pointed in the right direction. If not, then at least Jason has tried to find the right home for the medal, and he deserves accolades for having given it his best.

However, if it is a bum steer then I do hope he doesn't give up on it.
Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 23-04-2016, 13:37   #294
Senior Member+

I haven't had much time for detecting this week,but I managed to get out this morning for a quick hour on a local permission.
It turned up a few of the usual pre decimals and a rusty spoon

image.jpg

Also,I put a readers letter in at the Lancashire evening post:-
Readers? letters - April 18 - Lancashire Evening Post

password--Accyweb
Old 28-04-2016, 10:40   #295
Senior Member+

Just a little update on the medal.

Today,I rang Dorothy an she was understanbly a little overwhelmed by the call,her son (Nicholas) called me back and after a little chat we swapped contact details.
With him living out of the county at the min,we are going to meet up in a few weeks when he is in the area and then I can hopefully reunite him with his great grandfathers medal.

I'd like to thank all those who helped track down this family,give yourself a pat on the back

password--Accyweb
Old 28-04-2016, 13:07   #296
Beacon of light

That is really wonderful news. Well Done Jason....and well done Dotti....you both deserve a putty medal.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 28-04-2016, 14:05   #297
Full Member+

Good work AccyEx. Would be interesting to know more of the medal's "story" and how it came to be lost.
Accyexplorer likes this.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 22:10   #298
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Good work AccyEx. Would be interesting to know more of the medal's "story" and how it came to be lost.
Cheers S,as interesting as it would be to know the full story behind how it became misplaced,I don't think we'll ever know for certain.

Dorothy's son said that he "didn't realise his family member was awarded a medal",though he was fully aware of his great grandfather Joseph and his experiences during the war.
It may of been misplaced by Joseph himself an seen as no great loss at the time ....

...the main thing is that this family heirloom its going home and it's all thanks to Accyweb and it's members for the info they gleaned

password--Accyweb
Old 28-04-2016, 22:37   #299

Well done, Jason. Sounds like the trail followed did lead to one of Mr. B’s family members, which is good news.

I’d also like to know how the medal got lost in the first place. Maybe that is something we will never know. Main thing is you will be making sure it is at last with someone who will value it and the history behind it.

Please keep us informed as to the ‘handing over’ when this takes place.

Hope you now find something that is of great value to yourself. Here's to happy (and successful) metal detecting.
Old 29-04-2016, 06:24   #300
Beacon of light

Dotti, I think you have to be commended on your sleuthing.
While it would be good if Jason found something for himself, I think that the pleasure gained from reuniting a family with a medal they did not know existed has a joy all of its own......and brings pleasure to both Jason and the family who get the medal back. That is 'gold' of a different kind. Priceless!
dotti34 and Accyexplorer like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..