Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2015, 12:49   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Well, my detector came this morning and after spending a few hours on a friends field i discovered a musket ball? a few old pennies and a item of jewelry (not my friends)....not exactly the hoard of medieval gold i was after but it's a start .
My laptop is also fixed so i can upload pics again too

DSCF5334.JPGDSCF5335.JPGDSCF5336.JPGDSCF5337.JPGDSCF5339.JPG
Stevie R likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2015, 14:39   #32
Full Member+

It seems like you are all having fun
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 15:49   #33
Senior Member+

I took my detector to the rifle range and at hapton and fond about 20 of these bullets in the same hole.

DSCF5460.jpgDSCF5461.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 02-05-2015, 16:07   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I took my detector to the rifle range and at hapton and fond about 20 of these bullets in the same hole.

Attachment 48554Attachment 48555
Those aren't bullets, they are live cartridges with powder and primers still in them.
They look like blanks(possibly .303) with no bullet in the end(see the crimping) but if one went off it could take your hand off.
After being in the ground all these years they will probably be unstable, liable to go off if you drop them or mess with them. If you're lucky the primer and powder will have been killed by the damp, if not???
Get rid of them quickly and carefully. You should really take them to the police, if you found them all together there may be more there which children could find.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 02-05-2015 at 16:17.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 19:12   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Definitely blanks due to their crimped ends. Is there an indentation/strike mark on the base, if so they're misfires, if not they are still live & as such a possible danger if handled incorrectly.
Old 02-05-2015, 19:29   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Definitely blanks due to their crimped ends. Is there an indentation/strike mark on the base, if so they're misfires, if not they are still live & as such a possible danger if handled incorrectly.
I was taught never to trust a misfire, DinG. Can go 'Pop' after a delay.
Even if they are misfires the primer may still be live, hit it in the right place and it could still 'Pop'.
Also there's still a lot of powder in there-could be exciting!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 19:35   #37
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Also there's still a lot of powder in there-could be exciting!
Most definitely!
Old 02-05-2015, 20:30   #38
Senior Member+

Thanks for the heads up guys,I thought they was just old bullets fired at the range (I hit them a number of times with my digging tool ).
I've disposed of all the cartridges somewhere that they will pose no threat to folk.

password--Accyweb
Old 02-05-2015, 22:05   #39
I am Banned

Quote:

Attachment 48554Attachment 48555
Those are .303 blanks and should not be messed with especially after being in the ground so long. The charge inside is likely to be cordite 5/2, which is a mixture of nitro glicerine and guncotton disolved in acetone and then extrude into a tubular form, the nitro glycerine has been known to separate out after being stored incorrectly, and nitro will explode at the slightest spark or bang, what else would you expect to find on an old army range that would be of any value, go back to taking pictures you'l live longer.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-05-2015 at 22:08.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 00:36   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Those are .303 blanks and should not be messed with especially after being in the ground so long. The charge inside is likely to be cordite 5/2, which is a mixture of nitro glicerine and guncotton disolved in acetone and then extrude into a tubular form, the nitro glycerine has been known to separate out after being stored incorrectly, and nitro will explode at the slightest spark or bang, what else would you expect to find on an old army range that would be of any value, go back to taking pictures you'l live longer.

Cheers for the input R.
Metal detecting (for me) is not about digging for things of monetary value (if it was I'd of quite already).For me,it's about the thrill of not knowing what lays beneath my feet (with the chance of finding something of value).

I never expected to find 'live' cartridges, I (incorrectly) assumed any and all ammo would be spent/fired.....I live and learn (this time)
stjosephsfc likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 03-05-2015, 07:00   #41
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
what else would you expect to find on an old army range that would be of any value.
Oh I don't know Retlaw, the lads used to lose all kinds on a range day/exercise, coins, collar dogs, cap badges, buttons (zippo lighter, this I know personally as mine's sitting in the bottom of a trench somewhere on Achmer trg area ) compo tins, more often buried on purpose than lost (full, usually cheese possessed or babbies heads) & a myriad of other Military paraphernalia. Like the lad said, it doesn't have to be about value, curiosity & the simple pleasure of unearthing a piece of a forgotten past does it for a detetectorist.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 03-05-2015 at 07:04.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:13   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just an aside to highlight my above point, out in the Iraqi desert there's a few grid references where you can find a couple of cases of "Swan aussie Alcohol free lager," several excess CES's for 432's, plus numerous trophies of war that became rather awkward or tiresome to lug around everywhere. Not forgetting all the kit the brass deemed so important that the lads sort of "lost" or that was "battle damaged"
Old 03-05-2015, 10:21   #43
Senior Member+

I took my "detecting stick" up the coppice and had a few hours digging for medieval gold
Sadly,it was mainly trash (ring pulls,cans and bottle tops),but i did find a couple of coins (old pennies)and some other bits.

DSCF5462.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44   #44
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up guys,I thought they was just old bullets fired at the range (I hit them a number of times with my digging tool ).
I've disposed of all the cartridges somewhere that they will pose no threat to folk.
If you didn't realise they could be dangerous, how can you assume that you have disposed of them where they will pose not threat to folk?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 17:54   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If you didn't realise they could be dangerous, how can you assume that you have disposed of them where they will pose not threat to folk?
I've a rather deep hole in my garden (about 2ft deep) that I'm in the process of filling,I disposed of them in there and covered them with a 1ft of soil.
I doubt anyone will be digging that area of my garden again for quite a few years.

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..