Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2015, 22:26   #46

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

I would have thought, after reading all the comments on this thread, that it would have been safer (and, dare I say it, more sensible) if these bullets - whether alive or dead - had been handed in to a proper disposal unit.

On the other hand, if you have a huge explosion in your garden which leaves a big hole I suppose you could always turn the hole where your garden used to be into a swimming pool.
US Angel likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2015, 23:50   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
I would have thought, after reading all the comments on this thread, that it would have been safer (and, dare I say it, more sensible) if these bullets - whether alive or dead - had been handed in to a proper disposal unit.

On the other hand, if you have a huge explosion in your garden which leaves a big hole I suppose you could always turn the hole where your garden used to be into a swimming pool.
I got paranoid after a friend told me that it's illegal to have (even accidentally) any ammunition over a inch in your possession.I doubt there would be enough powder to blow a hole in my garden but I'm no expert on that sort of thing.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Just an aside to highlight my above point, out in the Iraqi desert there's a few grid references where you can find a couple of cases of "Swan aussie Alcohol free lager," several excess CES's for 432's, plus numerous trophies of war that became rather awkward or tiresome to lug around everywhere. Not forgetting all the kit the brass deemed so important that the lads sort of "lost" or that was "battle damaged"
Dave, hubby reckons it would be very rare find indeed to dig up "Swan Alcohol FREE Lager". He says there was a "Swan Special Light Lager " which was on sale in the 80s which had .9% Alcohol but as far as he knows, is no longer on sale today. Swan is now owned by Lion Nathan.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:02   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Dave, hubby reckons it would be very rare find indeed to dig up "Swan Alcohol FREE Lager"
It was Feb 1991 when it was buried though Irene. Some smartarse wide boy said he could get us a special delivery of Beer from the "gadaffi", we paid over the odds & picked it up with our resup of fuel & rations. Our intention of enjoying a beer while watching a desert sunset & the Gruntfantry digging in for the evening (we were armoured so didn't need to dig holes ) lost its appeal after a couple of tinnies. With no effect despite being without alcohol for about 2 months so we read the small print on the tin & there it was to our disgust & dismay, alcohol free, something like 0.02% or some such horrendous number, needless to say it was binned & dire retribution was plotted against our "Supplier"!
Old 04-05-2015, 21:28   #50
Senior Member+

One of the penny's from yesterday is dated 1865 that means it's probably been in the ground 100yrs+

DSCF5496.JPGDSCF5497.JPGDSCF5498.JPG
US Angel and Stevie R like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 07-05-2015, 13:09   #51
God Member

You never know what you might find out there:

Canadian soldier honoured 70 years after death - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio
Stevie R and Accyexplorer like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 16:03   #52
Senior Member+

I came across a hunter pocket watch last week, it had a Queen Victoria penny fitted into both side, heads and tails. Dated 1899. The best part about it was the battery was still powering the quartz movement. It's kept good time for a week now.
Accyexplorer and lulubeaut like this.
Old 11-05-2015, 19:59   #53
Senior Member+

I took my detecting stick up a well known local hill and had a hour or so searching for gold,sadly,i didn't find any.
However i did find silver and few other bits

DSCF5499.jpgDSCF5504.JPGDSCF5502.JPGDSCF5501.JPG
Stevie R likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 11-05-2015, 20:02   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I came across a hunter pocket watch last week, it had a Queen Victoria penny fitted into both side, heads and tails. Dated 1899. The best part about it was the battery was still powering the quartz movement. It's kept good time for a week now.
Nice timepiece

password--Accyweb
Old 12-05-2015, 00:24   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I took my detecting stick up a well known local hill and had a hour or so searching for gold,sadly,i didn't find any.
However i did find silver and few other bits

Attachment 48728Attachment 48729Attachment 48730Attachment 48731
Accy x, I doubt whether you you will find any gold in or around Accy, get yourself a twelve months working visa, come over here, and go up to the goldfields. You never know, you may go home a millionaire.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:05   #56
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
You never know, you may go home a millionaire.
As long as he doesn't get eaten by Dingoes!
Stevie R likes this.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:45   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Accy x, I doubt whether you you will find any gold in or around Accy, get yourself a twelve months working visa, come over here, and go up to the goldfields. You never know, you may go home a millionaire.
I also doubt it I,but there's still that chance of a gold ring/chain
As much as I'd love to come to Australia,on a 12mnths prospecting adventure ,my commitments keep me here.
Plus the folk who took part in gold rush's would of made it extremely hard for me to find enough gold to cover costs......

...you've got to be extremely lucky in the finding game

password--Accyweb
Old 13-05-2015, 17:13   #58
Full Member+

You neverknow lol
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:35   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
As much as I'd love to come to Australia,on a 12mnths prospecting adventure ,my commitments keep me here.
Plus the folk who took part in gold rush's would of made it extremely hard for me to find enough gold to cover costs......

...you've got to be extremely lucky in the finding game
Actually there will be some gold in your area but your looking in the wrong place see:-

Gold in faeces 'worth millions' - BBC News

"Where theirs muck theirs brass" but you might not be welcome in either your home or local after a days prospecting!
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 16:14   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Oh I don't know Retlaw, the lads used to lose all kinds on a range day/exercise, coins, collar dogs, cap badges, buttons (zippo lighter, this I know personally as mine's sitting in the bottom of a trench somewhere on Achmer trg area ) compo tins, more often buried on purpose than lost (full, usually cheese possessed or babbies heads) & a myriad of other Military paraphernalia. Like the lad said, it doesn't have to be about value, curiosity & the simple pleasure of unearthing a piece of a forgotten past does it for a detetectorist.
Chicken Fricasee springs to mind

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..