Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2015, 17:20   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

I took my detecting stick out again today,after digging a lot of trash, i set my detector to coins and ended up pulled these old coins (and a button) out from about 3inch deep
DSCF5508.JPGDSCF5509.JPGDSCF5510.JPGDSCF5511.JPGDSCF5513.JPGDSCF5514.JPGDSCF5515.JPG
Stevie R likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2015, 22:15   #62
Senior Member+

I took my detector up the coppice again today and struck gold (375)

I started around the trenches hoping for a old cap badge but grateful for anything.The first hour turned up nothing but old ring pulls and rubbish,then i heard a familiar tone (it was the coin tone) i quickly got out my trowel and began digging a hole.
About 3inches down there was a pound coin i ran my detector back over the hole and there it was again, clear as day, the same tone.
I began digging again and found another pound coin.
Then after about a hour of digging up more rubbish, a old penny and a old ship half penny, my detector made a tone i haven't heard before (8inch deep).
I started digging keen to see what it could be, after 10mins i was about to give up when there it was (my heart missed a beat ) a little gold band was just sitting at the bottom of the hole.

DSCF5544.jpg
stjosephsfc likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 01-06-2015, 00:56   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

I started around the trenches hoping for a old cap badge but grateful for anything.The first hour turned up nothing but old ring pulls and rubbish,then i heard a familiar tone (it was the coin tone) i quickly got out my trowel and began digging a hole.
About 3inches down there was a pound coin i ran my detector back over the hole and there it was again, clear as day, the same tone.
I began digging again and found another pound coin.
Then after about a hour of digging up more rubbish, a old penny and a old ship half penny, my detector made a tone i haven't heard before (8inch deep).
I started digging keen to see what it could be, after 10mins i was about to give up when there it was (my heart missed a beat ) a little gold band was just sitting at the bottom of the hole.

Attachment 49121
See Accy x, you did'nt need to come to Australia after all.
US Angel and Accyexplorer like this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 13:34   #64
Full Member+

I guess there's gold in them there hills after all lol
Accyexplorer likes this.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 17:46   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:

Attachment 49121
If you clean it up and there are hallmarks on the inside a jeweller will be able to tell you how old it is.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 18:43   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
If you clean it up and there are hallmarks on the inside a jeweller will be able to tell you how old it is.
mid 1900s is my guess but i will take it to a jeweller next week to make sure

password--Accyweb
Old 19-06-2015, 17:45   #67
Senior Member+

Continuing my quest to find the Accrington hoard,i decided to take the metal detector for a walk again.
After digging several holes,unearthing nothing but ring pulls,bottle tops and tin foil ,the metal detector went off the scale.
As my heart beat got faster and my excitement grew, I carefully dug the area in anticipation of the treasure that I would soon behold. Suddenly, I felt a shudder as my trowel made contact with a metallic sounding object....

....Imagine my disappointment as I pulled out a ruddy old key
After setting it to just coins and adjusting the sensitivity the coins started rolling in (including a sterling silver shilling ).

DSCF5575.jpgDSCF5576.JPGDSCF5577.JPGDSCF5578.JPGDSCF5579.jpgDSCF5580.JPGDSCF5581.JPGDSCF5582.JPGDSCF5583.JPGDSCF5585.jpg
Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 19-06-2015, 18:01   #68
Senior Member+

Did you find out how old the ring was?
Old 19-06-2015, 22:37   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Did you find out how old the ring was?
No,not as yet...

.."Watch this space" as they say

password--Accyweb
Old 20-06-2015, 10:28   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I took my detector up the coppice again today and struck gold......
Do you have the required insurance and paperwork to be detecting on HBC land or is this another of your dodgy activities?
Old 20-06-2015, 14:47   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you have the required insurance and paperwork to be detecting on HBC land or is this another of your dodgy activities?
I'm not sure I like what your suggesting N .
Of course,I have insurance it comes with being a (paid) member of the metal detecting council and I also have permission (in writing) to dig up coppice (and all parks) from HBC.
You should get a detector then we can arrange a dig in ryddings park or somewhere (assuming your paperwork is in order)
steve2qec likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 21-06-2015, 10:20   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How recently did you get the HBC paperwork? I was reading the agreement last week as it's a recent thing.
Old 21-06-2015, 14:41   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How recently did you get the HBC paperwork? I was reading the agreement last week as it's a recent thing.
HBC gave me the ok to dig up on the coppice about 3wks ago when I recieved my insurance paperwork from the detecting council.
I emailed them last week and asked for all the parks to be added to the list (which they did,no questions asked).
I've seen a few folk detecting on oak hill and Arden hall but Im unsure if they have found anything of interest because I was too shy to go over an ask

password--Accyweb
Old 21-06-2015, 14:49   #74
Senior Member+

I'm surprised they let metal detectors loose in the parks! You may be responsible but young uns seeing you may decide to have a go without permission and make a mess.
Do you have to do a bit of weeding while you're at it?
Old 21-06-2015, 15:07   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm surprised they let metal detectors loose in the parks! You may be responsible but young uns seeing you may decide to have a go without permission and make a mess.
Do you have to do a bit of weeding while you're at it?
I'm surprised too,I thought it would of been a straight No (like other councils).
HBC seem ok with the fact I want to dig the town up ...weeding is a optional extra

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..