Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 23:10   #1
Senior Member+

Talking Power Kiting

Anybody on here intrested in or addicted (trust me you get that way very quickly) in POWER KITING ?

For those of you that a thinking What???? it is kite flying to the extreme we have very big kites that are stupidly powerful !!! And go in a big field and use them to jump quite HIGH, Power along a three wheeled buggy that you steer with your feet, Go water sking using the kite as the boat ( but with a kite you can jump as well over 50 ft) or just enjoy flying very fast and manouverable kites !! This a fantastic sport but not for idiots lots of those unfortunately have died being silly with something that is SO powerful (the wind)

If anyone else is into these let me know .............
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2004, 08:58   #2
Roy
Administrator

Re: Power Kiting

not into it, but it sounds like great fun... Have you got any photos? And how big exactly are these kites? Are we talking parachute size?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 23:48   #3
Senior Member+

Trust me roy, fun it is , to see some good pics go to flexifoil.co.uk then hover over community and click gallery. Recreational section is good.

I am a life long Petrol head and love POWER, spent most of my youth building engines for more power But now 3 kids later not got the time but this is a good substitute .

It is like trying to hold onto a V8 in the sky.

They range in size from 1.4 sq metres to over 20 sq metres.
My biggest is 4.9 mtr which in 15 mph wind will readily pick me up and take me on a little ride

In a buggy on the beach the brave can get to speeds of 70 mph........with your bum 3inch's of the floor...

20 mtrs of kite is for idiots out at sea where you can land a lot safer

Next time your over if you want you can have a try with my kites.
Old 18-05-2004, 22:31   #4

just seen that website,the pics.wow i want one ive seen someone up here in ossy on foxhill playing feilds in 1 of those buggys was it you it was near xmas i think.how much u talking for a good one?
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 14:02   #5
Senior Member+

Might not be me I usually go on the Heys playing fields at back of Fielding lane, but have tried foxhill. Nice weather finish work early and have a workout with a kite good fun

Kites can cost anything from £80- £1200 And buggys From £ 250

But you can get them second hand if you know a which are ok, I paid £ 150 for my buggy s/h. My favourite kite is 3meter and cost £240 new which is good for powering a buggy and general flying.

My biggest is 4.9meter and very scarry A gust of wind with this can mean the difference between being on the floor and being 20foot UP..

I need a bigger one soon which is powerful but a bit more controllable.

If you want to try it out you can have a go with mine. My 12 yr old son can do it and fly away down the beach screaming DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDD quite happily. Just takes a bit of eye to hand coardination
Old 26-06-2004, 21:27   #6

its easy once you get used to it.heres a picture of how high you can go

JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 22:15   #7
Accrington Web Mascot

I feel sick just thinking about it - good luck to you all (I think you need it)!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 20:36   #8
Senior Member+

Wow....looks ace!!
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 22:26   #9
Senior Member+

Smiffy any time you want a go you can have a play on heys playing fields

It is ACE...........TOP BANNANA

If ya want i'll let ya know next time i'm going up..
Old 13-07-2004, 19:57   #10

That sounds class is it for all ages? Im 13 will it be suitable for me or not??
matthewm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 22:03   #11

Was the guy in the photo called Scott, or Tracy, or Virgil, or John, or Gordon by any chance ?

Guess he wasn't called Brains either.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..