Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2005, 23:02   #1
Senior Member+

7p?????? why

Has anyone else noticed and confused by the fact that the price of diesel is now 7p more expensive than unleaded???? At 86.9p a litre..

7x4.5 = 31.5p a gallon more than unleaded??? recently the difference was only 2p. And a number of years ago diesel was 1/2 the price of petrol....

I have just come back fron a job in failsworth and paid 81.9p a litre for diesel that is 5p cheaper than round here....

5x4.5 = 22.5p a gallon x 10 = £2.25 more money every time you fill up?????

Does anyone know of a local garage to accy that is not RIPPING us all off ?????
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2005, 08:04   #2
God Member

Re: 7p?????? why

Heh, I pay 32p /litre for my fuel
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 08:47   #3
Senior Member+

The joys of LPG.

We had a look at that, but we wouldn't have the car long enough for it to be worth our while.

There is also the problem of the spare wheel. I like my spare wheel, and I am not paying a couple of thousand pounds for it to be taken away. I know they give you some compound which you put in the wheel in the event of a puncture, but I would not be happy using that.

Until they find a method that does not involve taking away my spare wheel, I will remain on petrol, I'm afraid.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 09:32   #4
Senior Member+

Entwisi I nearly went down the LPG route myself a while ago, one of main fears is that like with diesel when it gets popular they stop subsidising(?) it and raise the price..
And like Vorlon says you need to keep the vehicle a long time to get your money back

Lets hope they keep it low for a long time, I suspect they will, but no one will promise..
Old 18-01-2005, 09:44   #5
Senior Member+

yes i agree with vorlon there are a few problems with LPG .A few of my collegues had it done and have had problems.As for diesel tried that ,and when you do 40k milage a year like me emissions can be a problems at the test stage,which you have to take even if you cars brand new every six months.(being a taxi driver).Ill stick with petrol too.
Old 18-01-2005, 10:40   #6
Senior Member+

We looked at the diesel option for a lease car, but guess what?

Diesel cars are more expensive to lease, which totally negates any benefits derived from higher mpgs.

Typical!

Old 18-01-2005, 13:00   #7
God Member

Right, I've had two cars on LPG and have covered over 75K miles on LPG in the last 4 years. As long as you get a reputable garage to do the conversion( I use Grange Lane) then you should have no problems. My current car(Saab 9000) has done 45K on Gas, I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. It has a toroidal tank in the spare wheel well as I wanted to be able to put the rear seats down if req. It does about 24mpg on gas at 75-80 which equates to ~65mpg against diesel. yet I have a nice big safe quick car with all the toys. The previous car had a cylinder tank behind the rear seats (Alfa 155). I could still carry the spare wheel in the boot if I wanted but as it is one of those horrible space savers I would rather not. My motorcycle has a wider front wheel! As long as you mention to the RAC/AA/Rescue co that you are an LPG user they will happily come and pick you up if you get a puncture. Having said that( and here comes the kiss of death) I haven't had a puncture in over 6 years. I replace my tyres when they get near the wear markers particulary around Oct/Nov so I know they are sound for the bad weather. I would much rather pay a couple of hundred pounds and keep my car on the black stuff thanks. After all its only 4 small patches of rubber that keep you safe.

The subsidy is a EU directive which IIRC has at least another 4 years to go. This states that they cannot raise duty by more than what they raise other road fuel so it is relatively safe for the moment. Even if it went up, it would have to get to about 50/55p/litre for me to start considering diesel. At that point you start wondering what the black market would do as its exactly the same gas as is used in camping stoves etc. You would probably end up witha similar situation to red diesel only harder to detect as I could always move the filler 'out of sight' making it look just liek any other petrol driven version.

Ian
Old 18-01-2005, 13:44   #8
Senior Member+

What difference does it make to performance?

Old 18-01-2005, 13:53   #9
God Member

you can lose up to 5% but to be honest unless you are redlining it everywhere you are unlikely to notice any difference. You can switc as you are driving and I can't tell any difference in normal driving. If I was to do a 1/4 mile ther may be a small difference.
Old 18-01-2005, 16:42   #10
I am Band

Unhappy Re: 7p?????? why

The disparity between unleaded fuel and diesel widened a few weeks ago when Asda took the lead and said that due to a glut in the fuel market they were going to drop the price of unleaded by 3 pence per litre; but the diesel price was left alone. Tesco and Sainsbury's soon followed suit. Petrol stations within the vicinity of these supermarket filling stations had to drop their prices to compete, or lose business.

We are hard hit in Accrington because the Asda doesn't have a filling station, therefore keeping the price competitive. I work next door to the Chuch Hall filling station, just off Dill Hall Lane. The price of diesel there is 86.9pence per litre. In Burnley, there is a Tesco, they charge 83.9p per litre. As a result Nightingales, on Trafalger Road, price match them. I don't make a special journey to do so, but Ialways fill my tank up when I am in Burnley.

We are ripped off for fuel in this country, but we are also being ripped off a little bit more each time we fill up in Accy.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 16:52   #11
Senior Member+

Thanks a lot sparky now I am a little wiser to why??

I have used church hall all the time for years but am being forced to re-think
No wonder the owner and his son Mr Cox have such nice cars..

Will bear in mind nightingales...
Old 21-01-2005, 17:08   #12
I am Band

Angry Re: 7p?????? why

The disparity between unleaded and diesel fuel is definitely wider in Accrington than other places, and the price is also higher.

For the last two days, I have been working in a factory near to Shipley, West Yorkshire. On the way there, on the outskirts of Keighley, I spotted a Total garage selling unleaded at 76.9 pence per litre and diesel at 80.9 pence per litre. Directly across the road was a Shell garage selling both flavours of fuel at exactly the same price as their competitor.

The price of diesel is of interest to me, as I drive a Peugeot oil-burner. At this Total garage it is 6 pence per litre cheaper than Church Hall filling station, which incedentally is also a Total filling station. In old numbers, that is 27 pence per gallon cheaper.

Don't just blame the Chancellor for exhorbitant fuel costs, greedy vendors have to take their rightful part of the blame.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 17:18   #13
Senior Member+

Sparky glad i'm not the only one looking at other prices with concern ......One thing that gets me about Dill hall garage... is when he was changing from ESSO to TOTAL he stressed to me that it meant that the fuel would cost him less and he could pass that on to US the customer.......Since then he has been one of the most expensive Which means that he must be making more than ever... Like you said Sparky.. GREED.......
Old 21-01-2005, 17:31   #14
God Member

Those X5's don't come cheap you know!
Old 21-01-2005, 19:23   #15

I can see why the supermarkets can reduce there prices so much. I think fuel stations at supermarkets are used as an attraction, fill up while you shop kind of thing. As sparky said unfortunatly we don't have one at accy asda, this is due to the lodge at the side. Mr cox is definatly expensive but he pays my girlfriends wages so i'm not going to knock him,i'm just gonna fill up at tesco!! at £80 a tank and 19 to the gallon i make a fair saving

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!

Last edited by WINGY; 21-01-2005 at 19:24.
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..