Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2004, 17:22   #1
land of hope and glory

Angry Bl....y Speed Bumps!!!!!

They may call them the gas guzzlers of the road, but the amount of speed bumps they are putting down is getting beyound a joke, give me a 4+4 anytime. just came along queens road west and what they doin putting more bl....y lumps in the road,do the council not think that the roads are in such bad repair that we dont need anymore lumps to slow us down.come on H.B.C give us a break.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2004, 17:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bl....y Speed Bumps!!!!!

I live on queens road west and think the speed bumps are a good idea. You get a lot of speeding on there so surely any thing that helps motorist to slow down has to be a good thing.
Old 30-11-2004, 17:52   #3
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
I live on queens road west and think the speed bumps are a good idea. You get a lot of speeding on there so surely any thing that helps motorist to slow down has to be a good thing.
SURELY Janet they cant be doing anybodys car any good, as for the need for speed boy racers, you will never stop them! its the innocent that end up getting hurt.
Old 30-11-2004, 18:06   #4
Resident Waffler

Last year my daughter was almost killed crossing Queen's Road West on her way to school.

The car driver who ran over her (and that is ''ran over'' as opposed to ''knocked down'') claimed to have been doing only 20mph but I find that difficult to believe considering she was dragged along the road under the car and was crushed under the wheels when the vehicle (a 4x4) finally stopped. I really would love to know if the injuries could have been caused by a vehicle travelling at 20mph. (I remember ads on TV showing what happens at 30mph, 20mph etc and I'm sure the 20mph option the child is only pushed along the road in front of the car)

Requests were sent to HBC for a pelican crossing in the vicinity of the school gates (Moorhead and St. Christophers) but HBC's answer at the time was that they were looking into traffic calming measures which they felt were all that was required.

Presumably the humps in question are the traffic calming measures they referred to. If the driver was only doing 20mph I fail to see how traffic calming measures are going to make any difference, but I would hate to see any other child injured as badly or even killed on there.

We still haven't got the full story of what happened that day as my daughter cannot remember, the police will not take statements from children and adult witnesses are not willing to comment which is very frustrating.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 18:08   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Plain & Simply Janet,

NO!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 18:16   #6
land of hope and glory

The car driver who ran over her (and that is ''ran over'' as opposed to ''knocked down'') claimed to have been doing only 20mph but I find that difficult to believe considering she was dragged along the road under the car and was crushed under the wheels when the vehicle (a 4x4) finally stopped. I really would love to know if the injuries could have been caused by a vehicle travelling at 20mph. (I remember ads on TV showing what happens at 30mph, 20mph etc and I'm sure the 20mph option the child is only pushed along the road in front of the car)

(sorry about your daughter willow!!) but when an accident occured outside the pub a traffic officer got in the car and actually measured whilst in the car the length of the skid mark on the road and thus was able to work out the speed the driver was doing.

Last edited by staggeringman; 30-11-2004 at 18:22.
Old 30-11-2004, 18:21   #7
Resident Waffler

I was under the impression they always did that but apparently on this occasion they didn't.

At the time I was far more concerned about what was happening in the hospital than what was happening at the scene of the accident and just assumed that the police were doing their duty.

It was ages before a police officer even spoke to me. And when I finally made contact ( i had to make a concerted effort myself to get in touch with them) I felt very "fobbed off" so I asked a firm of solicitors to look into it for me. We are still awaiting the police report. Apparently the officer who attended the scene asked for his original report to be returned to him. I find that very odd too.

Old 30-11-2004, 18:31   #8
land of hope and glory

Is it still on going then willow,they seem to be taking there time! if the solicitors are involved get them rung up and tell them you want some answers.
Old 30-11-2004, 18:36   #9
Senior Member+

Don't expect any answers any time soon.

I came off my motorbike just over a year ago - there are at least 2 witness reports to say that it wasnt my fault, but it is still not resolved.
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 18:46   #10
Resident Waffler

I'm not holding my breath.

Old 30-11-2004, 19:18   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
I agree with you Janet, anything that slows motorists down is a good idea, surely Less you must agree that there is a need to drive more slowly or is it just speed humps you are against?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 30-11-2004 at 20:43.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 20:23   #12
God Member

Putting bumps in is not the answer. Educating people is what is required. They always say treat the cause not the symptoms. Bumps do nothing to stop the speeders as they will just find a new rat run to terrorise. At least on the main roads there is decent visibility. On the back roads with double parked cars the chance for a kiddie to see them coming is non existant. Confiscate cars for a period( 4-12 weeks) from people speeding above a certain limit. Give out short term bans( 1 week or so) for those just over the limits. Once people realise how slow and inconvienient public transport is they will be glad to travel at 30 at a time of their choosing. This Gov say they want to do something about this problem but they are too scared to put a punishment that would have the desired effect.

And before anyone asks, I travel over 30K a year in my car and ride a 1000cc motorcycle as well so I'm not some non motorised fanatic.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 21:17   #13
Senior Member+

I have a more permanent solution.

If a motorist kills someone through speeding, shoot them in the head. If it was one of my family that they killed, I would do it myself.
Old 30-11-2004, 21:38   #14
Resident Waffler

Speeding doesn't always cause death.

One of the problems on QRW is the bend in the road. Something travelling quickly can be hidden round the bend and the road appear totally clear when one starts to cross near Moorhead. If a car is travelling at a reasonable speed you can be across the road before it arrives from round the bend but if it's going fast that's a different story.

I do think a crossing would be more use than road humps. There are road humps in Ormerod Street which doesn't stop idiots trying to speed up and down it, not to mention the screeching of breaks as they pull straight out into Willows Lane, where others ignoring the mini roundabout still act as though they automatically have right of way.

I'm amazed there hasn't been a death there yet. There have been plenty of "bumps"

Old 30-11-2004, 22:00   #15
Senior Member+

Maybe a speed camera instead would be the solution

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..