Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 17:01   #1
Len
God Member

Car body work (mot’s)

I wonder if anyone knows anything about this subject. After failing the mot because of some holes in my cars sills. I decided to plash out and had two new sills fitted professionally rather than do it myself and they weren’t cheap. After the job was done I then took my car back for a retest (mot) confident that it would pass only to be told later that I had a problem.

Problem being that the sills under the car had been spot welded rather than seam welded, and apparently they should have been seam welded just like the top of the sill.

I had a quick word with the fellow that fitted the sills and he said, well.... basically rubbish. As long as the sills are fully welded along the top of the sills .i.e. to strengthen the car body then the underneath need only be spot welded just like they do when they originally assemble the cars.

Now is this true what the fitter says or is it just a case of someone trying
to create some extra work for them selves’ .i.e. mot garage.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2006, 17:20   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Car body work (mot’s)

wouldnt be a certain mot garage down the bottom of arrod would it len, you know the one which has a second hand dealership on its car park ??

had previous experience with them

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 17:38   #3
Resting in Peace

Not 100% sure but would rather have it fully welded for my own peace of mind.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 18:50   #4
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER
wouldnt be a certain mot garage down the bottom of arrod would it len, you know the one which has a second hand dealership on its car park ??

had previous experience with them
I think you are right, thats the place.
But I would be interested in knowing if it is part of the mot regulations or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T
Not 100% sure but would rather have it fully welded for my own peace of mind.
Bur999T it’s not that simple. Have you ever tried fully welding rusty metal? Much easier to spot weld and I don’t really fancy throwing another weeks wages at a bloke for only 9 hours work. If it is true and the bottom seam has to be fully welded then I will have to do it myself but I don’t want to do it if it’s not necessary.
Old 04-04-2006, 19:01   #5
God Member

Just spoke to an MOT tester and he says
"If it is a cover sill it has to be fully welded both top and bottom - the only time you can weld something using spot welding is if you cut out a complete panel (anywhere on the car) and put it back as the manufacturers fitted it"

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 19:08   #6
Len
God Member

Now that’s good news because the fitter cut away my old sills and replaced them with new.
I saw them myself as he showed me them.
Old 04-04-2006, 19:17   #7
God Member

You will have to find out if he fit a proper manufacturers sill or if it was a cover sill, even with a cover sill they usually cut away the old one

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 23:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I think you are right, thats the place.
But I would be interested in knowing if it is part of the mot regulations or not.

Bur999T it’s not that simple. Have you ever tried fully welding rusty metal? Much easier to spot weld and I don’t really fancy throwing another weeks wages at a bloke for only 9 hours work. If it is true and the bottom seam has to be fully welded then I will have to do it myself but I don’t want to do it if it’s not necessary.
has far a i know they have to be seem welded i did when i had a garage 10yrs a go if its seemed at top for strenth then theres no purpos becouse the bottom is week
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..