Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 06:33   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Car Window Tinting, A Warning To Drivers

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films”, where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is however, a recognised difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself.

The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints already fitted and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark window tints)

The driver or owner of such a vehicle may be issued with an immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed and either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Office confirms that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. It is also possible depending on the severity of the offence, that the owner may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a non-roadworthy or even dangerous condition with the potential for penalty points and a fine.

Driving such a vehicle on public roads before the tints have been removed and before a Prohibition notice has been lifted will be a serious offence and the owner or driver is likely to be prosecuted.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Car Window Tinting, A Warning To Drivers

I have light tint all over my car.

Think its 30% and I wont be removing it, about time DVLA spent time doing more important things.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:32   #3
Give, give, give member

Are they banning mirrored sunglasses too?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:38   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
I have light tint all over my car.

Think its 30% and I wont be removing it, about time DVLA spent time doing more important things.
Is it an add on or original from manufacture?

I can't see the Police doing anything about it but if they wanted they could stop you driving it.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:48   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is it an add on or original from manufacture?

I can't see the Police doing anything about it but if they wanted they could stop you driving it.
It has GM stamp and light percentage showing 30% IIRC.

Was already on the car, I would presume it was fitted at manufacture as a extra.

I understand the Limo tint (Dark) as at night you cant hardly see out of it, mine at 30% is not so bad.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:03   #6
Resting in Peace

Always find cars with very dark window tints a little threatening.

When in USA was told now illegal and one of the main reasons was that the police would now be able to see whether the occupants intended pulling a gun on them, if the car were stopped for any reason, which in America is more of a problem, I suppose.

Do some of our Official cars like Royal or Goverment vehicles not have dark tints ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 14:38   #7
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Do some of our Official cars like Royal or Goverment vehicles not have dark tints ?
They're probably exempt.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 14:58   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
They're probably exempt.
So, they can pick their nose then without being seen Sorry .. bit crude.
Old 10-06-2007, 19:19   #9
Senior Member+

I bet all the Gangsta types are removing it from their Novas as we speak.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i think all cars with them dark windows should be banned, there cud be any weirdo in them watching you and you wouldnt know!!!!!! scary .....
Old 11-06-2007, 09:22   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It say "tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post".
The B post is the one between the front and rear side windows. So and rear side windows or rear screen do not count and can be as black as you want. In effect you still have the same visibility as a van driver (which is quite poor anyway).
Old 09-03-2009, 00:55   #12
God Member

do they still make tinted visors for helmets and if so shoudlntthey be banned too

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:15   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
What is the UK law on Tinted/Iridium visors?
Any visor with a light transmission rate of less than 50% is deemed to be not UK road legal. A typical dark tint and iridium visor has between 40% to 20% light transmission rates. A standard road legal tinted visor has a 50% transmission rate.

In the latest police guideline report this is the following recommendation to all England, Wales and Northern Ireland forces

“Tinted visors, if used during daylight hours, advice only, if used during the hours of darkness or conditions of reduced visibility consider prosecution using ‘Tintman’ equipment where available.

It is acknowledged that there is much debate about this issue and many variables and anomalies can be applied. Therefore a pragmatic approach is necessary and only in cases where there is an obvious danger should prosecution be considered”

We recently had a hire car while Rhonda's was having some work done to it. It was a Vauxhall Mariva - don't buy one, dreadfull contraption - beside being a naff car it had rear dark windows. In bright sunlight everything looked nice and clear when you looked through them. At night it was like driving a van. When you stopped at a junction and looked through the rear passenger window, or when reversing, you could not see anything. Car head lights were visible but pedestrians were invisible.

I don't think dark windows look good on most cars anyway. Every time I see a car with dark rear windows I assume it is because the driver has ugly kids and is trying to hide them.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05   #14
Resting in Peace

There was one of those programmes on the other day Neil ..ya' know like Police, Action, etc., can't remember which, but a lady was stopped (4 x 4 of course .. ) and the police would not let her proceed until she had stripped enough of the film off to give her better viewing. She couldn't manage it and had to send for her hubbie. The policeman explained couldn't help her as he may cause damage to the windows, and would be liable for this.

Can't remember whether she got fined or not.

Entwisi will probably know about the motor bike helmets Accymad.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:44   #15
God Member

tinted visors are illegal if they don't pass the required amount of light.... HOWEVER, even bike cops agree its a silly law. On a bike we can't easily take off glasses if we enter a tunnel, on a bike we can flick a visor up dead easy. We also don't have sun visors or any other way of shielding our vision hence bike plod not enforcing the law unless you are beinga total prat. a lot of riders will carry a clear visor under teh seat in case they are caught out after dark etc. this also pleases most plod if they get stopped. definately a case of common sense should take precedence.

My helmet actually has a clear visor but has 'drop down' internal dark visor/glasses ( bit like a pilots helmet). works really well and is totally legal.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..