Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2004, 18:51   #1
Senior Member+

Do you belive this?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2004, 20:04   #2

Re: Do you belive this?

140 mph over the speed limit - thats 50 mph faster than I can get my car to go, smoke coming from the engine as well!
Old 28-09-2004, 07:32   #3

dont think anyone can go that fast
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2004, 07:43   #4
mez
God Member

wonder if he's selling the car, my favorite he he he, always wanted one.
Old 28-09-2004, 08:37   #5
God Member

The bike is an SP1 and is capable of about 165mph. The copper was in a plane above and 'timed' him on a manual stopwatch between two marks on the road. Independant dyno testing of the bike proved it was impossible for that bike to do 205 and it was far more likely that the copper was 'trigger happy' with his stopwatch.

There are bikes that will touch that sort of speed. Suzuki Hayabusa would just about do it when it was first launced as will a deristriced ZX12R . However all the jap manufacturers now have a gentlemans agreement to restrict bikes to 186mph(300kph)

So yes it is possible for bikes to do that sort of speed but they are few and far between.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2004, 08:43   #6
God Member

I used to have a suzuki GT250 and if I got 100mph on the moterway the front wheel would be off the rd.. you could move the handlebars and it wouldn't make a difference. the front was floating.

25+ years ago. When you could have a 250cc on a provisional....sigh
Old 28-09-2004, 22:21   #7
Senior Member+

I had a Yamaha RS 125 in late 80's and did a lot of tuning up of the little engine, (125 was the limit on a provisional when I was a lad Kipax ) By tuning up I mean buy all the bit's and go silly with a file for a day or two.
The way we used to test the top speed was to go on the East Lancs rd ( dual carriageway ) and assume the best wind resistent riding position.(head on the tank looking right, left hand on the left fork, right hand on the throttle, Mate on big fast bike on your right to ensure you hit nothing,and confirm your speed, as this position means you see very little but get crucial extra 5mph.)
As I got to my top speed my mate dropped back, I wondered what the h*** he was doing,and for one stupid moment wondered if I had outrun him, when a capri 2.8 police car pulled up along side I sat up and slowed down but ...

I have a speeding ticket for 103 mph to prove my little shed could beat the TON The only speeding ticket I did not mind recieving..
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2004, 23:08   #8
God Member

Yeagh i remember yamahas .. at the time they had the fastest 250 on the rd...

A suzuki, honda and I think yamaha 250 and the next bike up..380 for suzuki... all looked the same and the gt250 was a badge on the oil cover.... people where buying 380 and simply replacing the oil cover to fool the police into thinking its a legal 250 with l plates

but when your doing 80 down the dual cariageway and a yam 250 comes alongside... drops a gear and shoots off its a bit of a giveaway
Old 28-09-2004, 23:34   #9
Senior Member+

The bike at the side of me while I was being silly was a Yamaha Rd 400 air cooled with 250 side panel's good fun.

My mate still has a suzuki 380GT Ram air, In his shed. Really nice sounding bike and went like Stink There was a suzuki 500GT ram air, Which was a triple cylinder sounded fantastic and was one real handfull, It either wanted to go slow or try and wheelie all the way up to 130. Real bike
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 09:29   #10
God Member

But the true kettle was the GT750.

750cc 2 stroke water cooled. They were renown for the middle cyclinder going pop due to it not being cooled very well.

In reality these bikes had reasonable power but the handling/brakes/tyres were straight out the ark. The real improvements in modern bikes has come in these areas meaning corner speed can be held and modern brakes are truely awesome.

Also bikes were made as a 'cheap' method of transport. Now they are an expensive toy. People would just not have put up with tyre life measured in weeks 20 years ago.
Old 29-09-2004, 09:45   #11
God Member

750 water cooled.. that was my dream bike........like the radiator on the front.. looked cool if you pardon the pun

They did bring out a new 750 with a new type of engine.. cant recall what it was called but never heard of them again.. something drive?
Old 29-09-2004, 11:55   #12
God Member

Are you thinking of the rotary engined stuff? I don't recall Suzy doing anything fancy but the Rotary Norton is a real tool. I'd love a go on one of those.
Old 29-09-2004, 12:56   #13
God Member

I think suzuki where the first.. maybe before there time eh in fact just did a quick google and this is the first link... dooomed i tell ya.. doomed

http://www.suzukicycles.org/RE5/RE5-Rotary.shtml

But I remember wanting one
Old 29-09-2004, 13:00   #14
God Member

In fact ya got me going now.. memories flooding back... this is a good read on the gt250.. really took me back... Now searching for a pic of an orange one like mine..

I refuse to scan in the pic I have with long hair and platform shoes astride the thing

EDIT add this... I am in love all over again

Last edited by KIPAX; 29-09-2004 at 13:02.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 01:32   #15
Junior Member+

my fave vehicle of all time is my land cruiser i got into some pretty awkward situations in that lol
Lee87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..