Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 14:48   #1

Fernando Alonso parts company with McLaren

Double world champion Fernando Alonso has agreed to split with the McLaren-Mercedes team by mutual consent.

In a widely expected move, the 26-year-old Spaniard has agreed terms to terminate his agreement with the Woking squad after just one season of his three-year contract.

Alonso made no secret of the fact at the start of the season that McLaren was the team he had always wanted to race for – but after a turbulent year admits things didn't pan out as he had hoped.

“Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out," said Alonso in a team statement.

"I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team.

"Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home.

"I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win.

"Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future.”

Despite these words, Alonso's bitter relationship with McLaren since joining from Renault has been well publicised.

His relationship with team boss Ron Dennis is believed to have broken down after the Spaniard publicly criticised McLaren for not providing him with the support he felt he deserved as a double world champion.

This was not helped by the unexpected pace of his rookie team-mate Lewis Hamilton, who settled into the team faster and more successfully than Alonso did.

The situation became irretrievable when the Spaniard threatened to reveal evidence of the team's involvement in the 'Spygate' scandal during a heated row in Hungary.

This not only angered the team's management, but the entire team, to the point where Alonso cast a lonely figure during the last few races of the season.

Dennis later revealed in a World Motor Sport Council hearing that he was no longer on speaking terms with his driver.

There was a further twist at the title-deciding round in Brazil when, following comments made by Alonso regarding favouritism and a request from the Spanish motorsport authority, the FIA took the unprecedented step of placing a scrutineer in the team to ensure fair play.

In its statement announcing Alonso's departure, McLaren admitted the relationship had not evolved in the way it had hoped and that both parties had agreed it was better to part ways.

“Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes want to wish Fernando all the best for the future," read the statement.

"He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward.

"We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge.”

Alonso's destination remains undisclosed, though he has been linked with a move to Red Bull Racing, a return to Renault and has received big money offers from Toyota and Honda.

Renault's Heikki Kovalainen and Williams' Nico Rosberg are both believed to be in the frame to replace Alonso alongside Hamilton.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..