Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 02:27   #1
Senior Member+

First car

I know we have had the uglist car, the best car, and if money was no object car but what was your first car and why, did you like it or was it a necessity? I know my family still talk about my green austin 1100 that used to cough when it saw a hill and it was definatly a necessity my dating pool went up 200%.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2004, 06:31   #2
God Member

Re: First car

Mine was on Opel kadett, a massive 1.0L and a huge gear stick, it came out of the floor about 2 feet!
Very basic with full plastic interior!
I did like it at the time but wouldn't have one now, got it because I was working at a Vauxhall garage and this was a Vauxhall with a German badge on (cheap spares!!)
Why did I need it? thats another story
I didn't sell it, it just rotted away!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (21.9 KB, 67 views)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:21   #3

Mine was a Mini. Only had it for three days, as i couldn't get the seat back far enough to drive it properly. Swapped it for a Metro which was marginally better!!!!!!!!!!!
savo is back. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 16:20   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I had a rusty old VW Derby, which I bought off a man in Harwood for 200 quid. It was a necessity at the time, but it had a really good engine on it, always started, even in the coldest weather, but no demisters, so I used to have to scrape the inside and outside in the winter. It had a bit of a hole in the floor of the passenger side, and water seeped in every time I went through a puddle. The passenger side carpet used to grow this funny looking mouldy stuff, which probably could have been used to cure thousands of people of their ills. Having said all that, I loved that car, and eventually sold it to my brother for 100 quid.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 18:15   #5
Accrington Web Mascot

Still got my first car! Only got it last November - Ford Fiesta. I had to get one when I blew the engine on my dad's (tee hee). It's got lots of personality (which means loads wrong with it) but the worst thing is that my insurance costs more than the car!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 15:52   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

[QUOTE=ShortStuff] I had to get one when I blew the engine on my dad's (tee hee). QUOTE]

GRRR, cough, splutter, BANG!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 18:38   #7
Accrington Web Mascot

Yep Less - that's exactly how it sounded when it happened!
Old 04-04-2004, 12:49   #8
Roy
Administrator

My first car was a van. A c registered Nissan Sunny bought for a whopping 50 squid. It didn't last long though. Back brakes where grinding so myself and the fatha decided to change them ourselves... Out on the brakes maiden voyage one of the back wheels decided it wanted a life of its own and at about 60mph i was down to three wheels!! Lot's of fun and the scrapyard in them days paid me for coming to pick it up and take it off my hands!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 13:22   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
My first car was a van. A c registered Nissan Sunny bought for a whopping 50 squid. It didn't last long though. Back brakes where grinding so myself and the fatha decided to change them ourselves... Out on the brakes maiden voyage one of the back wheels decided it wanted a life of its own and at about 60mph i was down to three wheels!! Lot's of fun and the scrapyard in them days paid me for coming to pick it up and take it off my hands!
Sounds like a real totty magnet Roy, almost as good as mine.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 13:37   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
one of the back wheels decided it wanted a life of its own and at about 60mph i was down to three wheels!!
The fourth wheel went alot further than you did though it took quite some time to find didn't it? We had also changed the front disks that day but neither of the front wheels came off so 3 out of fours not bad. In fact thinking about it, your spare wheel stayed in place as well! :sign_wasn
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 15:35   #11

Hehe!! oh yes Roy i remember it well. If my memory serves me corectly it wasn't just the wheel, but the drive shaft, handbrake cable and brake line making it very difficult to stop, was it not?.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 15:40   #12

My first car was a Brown Vauxhall Belmont that used to be my Grandads then my Dads, then i gained it by default when i stuffed it into another car outside the police station (not my fault i might add and he did get paid out) And just to add insult to injury it was Brown and the registration was D618POO. God i loved that car had a lump in my throat when i sold it.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 19:41   #13
Accrington Web Mascot

Who actually thinks that people would want a brown car - & then comes up with that registration number for it?

Oh well at least it got you from A to B. Which is want my dad kept saying about our green chevette that I was supposed to inherit. Unfortunately, he sold it before I passed my test - I was obviously very gutted about that. (sorry Dad - but you know I didn't like it).
Old 04-04-2004, 20:25   #14
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Sounds like a real totty magnet Roy,
It was! It had a large strip of masking tape with, 'Roy's portable knocking shop,' written on it fixed to the front bumper, which went un-noticed for a few days. Can't for the life of me think who thought of that one...

Remind me Royski, did it have a curtain that could be drawn across the rear window?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 22:07   #15
Junior Member+

Ahh. The memories come flooding back. My first car was a red Imp van. The rings were goosed and it used to blow copious amounts of oil out of the breather and everywhere else it could find a way out. Traded it for a Viva, then a series 2a Landie.
My first rally car was a 1970 Mk2 Cortina 1300 that evolved into a 1600 then became a 1760 before finally becoming a big ball of scrap in BogRats scrap yard at the end of Spring St in Rishton.
You never forget your first so they say.
MikeWest is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..