Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 01:02   #1
God Member

Lewis and Mclaren robbed?

Lewis Hamilton won the Belgian Grand Prix in the Mclaren but was relegated ... I reckon the powers that be can't stand for Ferrari losing .. eh Alex?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2008, 07:16   #2
God Member

Re: Lewis and Mclaren robbed?

ey ey ey...wasnt it something to do with Hamilton cutting that corner? if so then its his own stupid fault for doing it isnt it
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55   #3
God Member

Hamilton gave him back the lead after being forced to cut the corner, then fought it out and won the race. Hamilton's been robbed.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Hamilton gave him back the lead after being forced to cut the corner, then fought it out and won the race. Hamilton's been robbed.
that just about sums it up.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55   #5
Resident Waffler

I agree that Hamilton was robbed. He had no option but to 'cut' that corner given the conditions but he did then pull back and allow the car in front to retain the lead.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 15:24   #6
Senior Member+

Yeah deffinatly robbed.He cut the corner then gave the lead back before the end of the lap as stated in the rules.Mclaren are appealling about it so hopefully justice is given and he gets the win back.Wait while the next race at Imola Ferrari's backyard,hope he beats them with a big margin,would be so cool to do it there
Old 09-09-2008, 15:37   #7
Resident Waffler

I wouldn't like to win a race by the real winner being robbed of the title like that. I'd always feel like I had to prove something afterwards.

Old 09-09-2008, 17:02   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Lewis and Mclaren robbed?

Although not a particular fan of F1 (I much prefer Moto GP) as it is nothing more than a two hours procession of ultra fast cars, I will admit that I am biased in favour of Lewis Hamilton because he is a British driver, a very good one at that and also a rookie to the F1 world.

I’ve watched the incident a number of times on TV and it seems to me that Lewis went to overtake the Ferrari because it went a bit too wide in the corner and left enough room for Lewis to do so. As he drew alongside Kimi Raikkonen, the Ferrari pulled over and pushed Lewis off the track. Their wheels touched. That left the British driver with nowhere to go except to cross the chicane or cause an accident.

As Lewis came off the chicane in front of the Ferrari he quite rightly backed off so that he didn’t gain an advantage of a manoeuvre forced onto him. Once the Ferrari was back in front Lewis pulled into the Raikkonen’s ‘slip stream’ got the slingshot he was looking for and overtook him.

The irony is that within one lap Raikkonen crashed because of race conditions and a mistake by Kimi, so even if Hamilton had not overtaken him Lewis would still have won the race.

The incident had no bearing whatsoever on any of the other drivers. Massa who was some 14 seconds behind Lewis and Kimi, and Heidfeld 10 seconds behind Massa, did not have enough laps left to be able to try and catch and overtake the two leaders especially in the rain swept conditions at the time.

Lewis was robbed and I hope that the appeal gets the decision overturned. If it doesn’t then what bit of credibility the F1 circuit had, will be dispersed.

It was a similar story years ago during the last race of the season when Damon Hill was overtaking Michael Schumacher who had run wide and thus left a gap for Hill to get through and to go on and win the race and also the Grand Prix title. Schumacher deliberately turned into Hill and crashed then both. A safe manoeuvre seeing as they were barely moving at the time. As neither finished this ensured that Schumacher won the Grand Prix title. You could see from Damon Hill’s face during the after race interviews that his diplomatic “it was a racing incident” wasn’t what he was really thinking. The ensuing inquest by the stewards was of the opinion that it was “a racing incident” and no action was taken against Schumacher and Ferrari. But then it was a Ferrari.
Old 09-09-2008, 17:35   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Lewis and Mclaren robbed?

I would just add that had Lewis not attempted an overtaking manoeuvre at that corner he would still have been in a position to overtake when he actually did so.
Old 09-09-2008, 17:42   #10
Resident Waffler

An excellent description of what occurred.

Old 09-09-2008, 18:27   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well if ferrarri keep that race, then backhanders have won the day.
Old 09-09-2008, 19:05   #12
Resident Waffler

Why do you say that? He was forced off the main track and then did what the book says he should do in such circumstances.

Old 09-09-2008, 19:10   #13
God Member

Whoosh?!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 19:16   #14
Resident Waffler

D'oh I just realised you said Ferrari!

Old 09-09-2008, 20:19   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
D'oh I just realised you said Ferrari!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..