Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2008, 09:32   #1
God Member

Like an old comfy pair of shoes( Corsa 1.4 mini review)

my Volvo has been in dock for a week due to someone scraping the back door/wheelarch and I got it back yesterday. it was SOOOOO good to be back just like that comfy old pair of shoes mentioned in the title. Whilst it was away I had the 'pleasure' of driving a new shape corsa 1.4 auto so here are a few ponderings from that experience. I have tried to be as open minded as possible and not to prejudge it.

Its small, no, really small. With the seat set for myself (under 6 foot tall) there was no room for legs in the back seat, not even Siobhan could be comfy back there behind me.

Its reasonably well put togather and feels like its half decent plastic used for the dash etc but its still plastic so feels cheap and I doubt it would stand much wear and tear withoout looking scruffy, after only 10K miles this was showing signs on the door caps etc

Its noisy as chuff. Not helped by the 185/65 tyres on it. Come on, you don't need tyres that wide on something with under 100bhp, all they do is make lots of road noise and cost extra money to replace. At motorway speed on some poor surfaces its hard to hear the radio when its on full. Engine noise is quite when pottering but harsh and intrusive when pushed

The seats are so uncomfy!!!, after 50 miles my back was beginning to ache and to quote the lad I car share with, "Its like sitting on a park bench its so hard"

Power - OK, I wasn't expecting much but to be honest its dangerous, accelerating at motorway speeds to perform overtaking just doesn't happen. you may as well wind up a elastic band as press the throttle.

From the above you would think its economical, ok, for a petrol car it might be better than some but it actually cost pretty much identical to do my daily journey as my 200bhp Volvo on LPG.

Handling - didn't inspire me at all TBH. When you have little power you tend to have to keep as much momentum as possible through corners, I didn't feel that I could do that without ending up in a hedge. Ride comfort wasn't too bad beyond the hardness of the seats, it did tend to tramline bit thats probably due to the wide tyres

other comments, - the speedo is hard to read, it took a concerted effort to work out how fast I was going as opposed to a quick glance that the Volvo needs.

the controls are like something from a cartoon, very mickey mouse and not very intuitive. The wipers are click up to start, again for faster etc then you have to step them down again, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop the rear wiper once you have started it untill you turn off the engine, I looked for 10 mins whilst stopped in a Q and couldn't work it out.

Now for the biggy, its dangerous for other road users! It has so many HUGE blindspots its unreal. The mirrors don't give you a good view and looking over your shoulder there is a HUGE D post in the way(both sides!), It may look cool and sporty from the outside but from a drivers view it is a real problem. Changing lanes on the motorway takes REAL concentration on whats happening around you constantly so you have a clue when there is a gap. Also the A post is so thick you can't see the inside kerb on roundabouts when you are on the inside lane making it difficult to judge how close you are to it. Add to this that a small clip can send any car over onto its roof and you have a proper problem.

So what is it useful for? If all you do is potter around town then OK it may be a cheap to run stylish looking small car thats easy to park, beyond that I think it has serious issues.

What surprised me most and impressed me was getting back in teh Volvo. Its done 190K miles, is on original shocks and springs etc. The seats are so comfortable its scary that after so many miles they can be so supportive where needed and comfy where they should be. there is also NO wear or anything showing that they have stood teh test of time extremely well. Teh dash and interior is laid out so logically everything is clear and easy to reach. It goes, and some... pressing the accelerator is like dialing in rocket up your backside. Visibility is a different world and handling 100x better than teh corsa even with old shocks that are about to be replaced. Noise is negligable and teh whole thing is so spacious and comfy its genuinely a nice place to be. Even teh radio is streets ahead on qualty.

NOw lets compare prices, The Corsa from a supermarket place is just over £10K, the Volvo cost me including the top quality LPG kit £5K nearly three years/75K miles ago. As mentioned, petrol costs to go to work and back for me is £12 of LPG and cost £11.75 ( averaged over 5 days) in the Corsa. tax is cheaper on the corsa obviously and insurance as well, being generous I reckon £400 difference across tax/insurance a year. depreciation wise, I reckon the volvo will happily do another 100K miles in good nick, I doubt the corsa would be looking too good at anything over 100K.

So overall, would I ever buy teh Corsa? no way, not in a million years

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2008, 11:18   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Like an old comfy pair of shoes( Corsa 1.4 mini review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
So overall, would I ever buy teh Corsa? no way, not in a million years
I know what you mean but you are a motorway driver. Small cars are great when all you do is drive around town. You can park a corsa in tiny spaces, great for shopping. You can even get a couple of shopping bags in the boot.
Old 28-02-2008, 11:31   #3
God Member

But thats just it, a couple of bags fills it, When I go shopping its mine plus my mums plus Siobhan and her pram, there is no way I could get it all in the Corsa.

Old 28-02-2008, 14:14   #4

Thats what you get with vauxhalls. Buy a BMW
Old 28-02-2008, 14:59   #5
God Member

Ooo, get her, 10 mins in a BMW and he's already got the attitude!

Enjoying it still mate?

Old 28-02-2008, 16:28   #6

A friend of mine had a 1.2corsa when her car was in for repair, and it was awful. At anything over 3k it sounded like bits of the engine where trying to escape. It lacked power (even she said that and her normal car is a 3cylinder corsa). I dont really mind the lack of rear leg room as im used to sitting in the back of small cars. But overall found it a huge disappointment.
Old 28-02-2008, 18:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Ooo, get her, 10 mins in a BMW and he's already got the attitude!

Enjoying it still mate?
Oh yes got some clear indicators now all round so no eighties orange. And looking into getting my own personalised plate.
Old 28-02-2008, 18:32   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Oh yes got some clear indicators now all round so no eighties orange.
I hope they are 'e' marked or it will be bye bye insurance
Old 28-02-2008, 18:58   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

my fellas car had to go to the garage to have some work done too, and got a pregnant rollerskate!...yes a ford KA....oh god it was embarrasing just to be seen sat in it.....it was horrible!!

uncomfy...small....like being in a tin box.....felt like i was nearly sitting on the floor!!!
would I recommend a KA.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 28-02-2008, 19:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I hope they are 'e' marked or it will be bye bye insurance
As a matter of fact they are but even if they were not they look better lol
Old 28-02-2008, 19:27   #11
Senior Member+

An ex of mine had a Corsa; not the comfiest car in the world by a long way!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..