Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 21:10   #1
God Member

pimped my ride

Oh, err not sure I should post this as some of you will laugh but I've sort of accidentally "Pimped my Ride"

you may remember that my car was bumped just after christmas and was in threat of being written off. It was fixed in the end and I decided to give it a 'refresh' as at 190K the suspension was getting tired and a few other little bits needed a bit of attention.

So, bit of research around the Volvo forums I narrowed it down to either Koni FSDs or Weitec Ultra GT's. Now being a turbo version mine is lowered about 25mm over standard cars. The two kits are both 35mm lowered, not a problem thinks I its only 10mm more than I have already and as the old springs are tired it shouldn't be much different............

well it turns out i didn't quite check properly as it turns out the 25mm lowering isn't in the springs its in the mounts so my car now sits 60mm lower than standard! Where there is normally an inch or so gap over the tyre to the wheelarch lip my tyres are nearly an inch up

Ride quality is still very good on the new springs, no crashing or harshness and roadholding is awesome. The lower C of G really helps in keeping it planted and mid corner bumps are handled with aplomb.

Pictures to follow........

So should I trade in my pipe and slippers for a hoodie and a bass boom box?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2008, 22:31   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: pimped my ride

I told you what to do last night, take Julie to the dentist to have her fillings put back in after you shook them out with the Volvo.

Don't believe him when he says "Ride quality is still very good on the new springs". He tried to convince me of this but a certain someone sat behind him was shaking her head in disagreement.
Old 24-03-2008, 14:01   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I told you what to do last night, take Julie to the dentist to have her fillings put back in after you shook them out with the Volvo.

Don't believe him when he says "Ride quality is still very good on the new springs". He tried to convince me of this but a certain someone sat behind him was shaking her head in disagreement.
That was the after effects of the last travelling in 'style', arnt men dangerous when they reach a certain age? entwisi = computers, volvo's = mechanics lol
Old 24-03-2008, 20:31   #4

Chavin it large mate innit. But seriously i think that must look so cool, dont see many modified volvos around. So whats next to get max powered?
Old 24-03-2008, 20:45   #5
God Member

black dealer tinted windows? Neon sill lights?

I do quite like the new C70 clear lenses and they fit straight on.

I have some spair wheels which would look lovely in anthracite as opposed to standard silver.

Have a look here for pictures of a car fitted with the springs, mine seems a little lower on the rear which I believe is a difference of teh saloon/estate kit.

FK 60/40mm lowering springs - Volvo Performance Club UK Forums

Old 24-03-2008, 20:46   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Oh, err not sure I should post this as some of you will laugh but I've sort of accidentally "Pimped my Ride"

you may remember that my car was bumped just after christmas and was in threat of being written off. It was fixed in the end and I decided to give it a 'refresh' as at 190K the suspension was getting tired and a few other little bits needed a bit of attention.

So, bit of research around the Volvo forums I narrowed it down to either Koni FSDs or Weitec Ultra GT's. Now being a turbo version mine is lowered about 25mm over standard cars. The two kits are both 35mm lowered, not a problem thinks I its only 10mm more than I have already and as the old springs are tired it shouldn't be much different............

well it turns out i didn't quite check properly as it turns out the 25mm lowering isn't in the springs its in the mounts so my car now sits 60mm lower than standard! Where there is normally an inch or so gap over the tyre to the wheelarch lip my tyres are nearly an inch up

Ride quality is still very good on the new springs, no crashing or harshness and roadholding is awesome. The lower C of G really helps in keeping it planted and mid corner bumps are handled with aplomb.

Pictures to follow........

So should I trade in my pipe and slippers for a hoodie and a bass boom box?
Sounds Good...........Bin it

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 16:04   #7

Just think Ian with a few more mods you could make it look gangsta styleee like this hot ride!!!

Old 25-03-2008, 18:45   #8
God Member

err, mines already lower than that!

wheels fill the arch better as well.

You didn't black out the windows like I was planning too.......................................

or add the crystal front lenses

Come on mate, put some effort into it!

Old 25-03-2008, 18:51   #9
God Member

And don't forget he's furry dice in the window

Are them things coming back? seen a couple lately with them in, hated em 1st time round, they'll be putting the blue sunshields up next with his/her names on

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 19:02   #10
God Member

found a picture of a car with teh same springs

Old 25-03-2008, 19:06   #11
God Member

Julie reckons mine are lower on the back.. I reckon its just the make of tyre.(Nankang NS2's on mine, superb tyres at under £50 a corner fitted )

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..