Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2003, 15:31   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Post Speed Camera poser?

I'm driving through Rishton, towards Blackburn, earlier today. Doing a steady 29.995mph. The speed camera is on the other side of the road.

A young Carl Fogarty comes barreling past me at about 50mph. This puts him on the side with the speed camera, he is speeding but going towards the camera.

Questions

a) Are these things set to snap both sides of the road (after all the markings are on both sides?

b) If they only work one way will young Carl be snapped? (he was speeding albeit the wrong way)
Old 10-11-2003, 16:16   #2
God Member

Post Re: Speed Camera poser?

They only work on 1 side of the road, he will not have been caught. reason markings are on both sides is that they calculate your speed with the markings, if the car caught was overtaking someone else ie on the other side of road this method will still work, and at the same time they would be able to tell if the car being overtaken was speeding or not

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 16:30   #3
Roy
Administrator

The ones around here only work for cars going away from them. However there are many accross the country that do get you coming towards you. They look quite different:

These both take a picture of you coming towards them.

Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 17:33   #4

i was on the A 556 near manchester airport at about midnight saturday, when a Porsche and a BMW passed me and the camera on the other side of the dual carriage way went off twice. it deffo wasn't a forward facing camera ???

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 18:07   #5
God Member

Was there someone on the other side? they always flash twice, they take 2 photo's and look at where the car is on the markings, this indicates the cars actual speed

www.ubuntu.com

Old 10-11-2003, 18:19   #6

no traffic on the other side at all. it got both cars (fashed 4 times)

People work for money!
Old 10-11-2003, 18:22   #7
God Member

If your against the way the police use these camera's for revenue check this link out for some stickers to put in your window
http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_camera_signs.htm

www.ubuntu.com

Old 10-11-2003, 18:31   #8
God Member

Strange how that happened then because forward facing camera's dont flash. you dont know you have been caught until the letter arrives. There is some new digital camera's being tested at the min but not sure if they are up this area, police can set the speed limit from a control room, bit like the ones on the M25

www.ubuntu.com

Old 10-11-2003, 18:44   #9
God Member

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/ this is a good site for information on cameras and where they are

www.ubuntu.com

Old 10-11-2003, 19:06   #10

it wasnt a forward facing camera thats what i couldnt understand. no traffic on that side they wher in the correct lane but it deffo went off. very strange ???

People work for money!
Old 01-04-2004, 00:04   #11
Senior Member+

Re: Speed Camera poser?

There is a speed camera on new lane, ossy. It is for downhill speeders so when the detector in my van tells me it is LIVE, I get my push bike out and get up to 40mph ish as I go past it.. Just love to see that flash and know I am Scott free

Am I a speed camera Poser??

Last edited by simon; 01-04-2004 at 00:04. Reason: Cant spell
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:12   #12
Senior Member+

Its great here not allowed speed cameras because it takes away from your civil liberties or summat, but when I was home at xmas I thought the alians had taken over, little yellow boxs every where except where they are needed. Why would you have a speed camera on the motorway every one is going to speed, its the weaving in and out and pulling in without indicating also tailgating and if one more pratt had flashed his lights, opps road rage, maybe a suggestion....... cops in cars on the road and not in cafes.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 14:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness
I'm driving through Rishton, towards Blackburn, earlier today. Doing a steady 29.995mph. The speed camera is on the other side of the road.

A young Carl Fogarty comes barreling past me at about 50mph. This puts him on the side with the speed camera, he is speeding but going towards the camera.
If he's on a motorbike, there's no front numberplate so he can't be identified.
Col.Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 09:44   #14
God Member

Gatsos only work rear facing. They can be set to flash but the picture is not admissible.

Truvelos are forward facing and do not flash

Specs cameras(currently only M25 and the roadworks over Thelwall) are digital and work out average speed between two points using number plate recognition.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 12:32   #15
Senior Member+

we once saw a guy on a motorbike going past a camera at speed pulled a wheelie covered his plate with his hand and off he went. Now thats a speed camera poser!

I would'nt mind but for the cost of the fine you get for speeding they could at least send you the picture!
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..