Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2008, 17:46   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Unhappy white smoke

Does anyone know about cars?

After fueling up today my fella went on the motorway to get home and coming off the roundabout a hugh puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust, he said the engine went a bit slugglish for a few seconds then the smoke happened.
Everything is fine now, no smoke and the car is driving perfectly, so he was wondering what it could have been, I said it could have been a bit of **** in the tank, because it was nearly empty when he filled up.....any ideas
Old 13-03-2008, 17:52   #2
God Member

Re: white smoke

Is it diesel or petrol??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 17:54   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

oops forgot to mention ...petrol
Old 13-03-2008, 17:55   #4
Senior Member+

It sometimes happends when there is a build up on the valves. It builds up when the car is just driving around town . when you go on a motorway it clears it,and it comes down the exhaust pipe and blows it all out. no need to worry about it..
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 17:59   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
oops forgot to mention ...petrol
Hmmm weird, If it was diesel , I would have asked if he had put petrol in by accident. I know Ginger once did this...... it smoked like hell and was sluggish. With a diesel, if you put petrol in, it's not as disastrous. BUT you would have known about it if he has put diesel in a petrol so that rules out my theory of what it could be.

has he put new oil in very recently??

Miracles do happen!!

Old 13-03-2008, 17:59   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

that makes sense david1, he only does town milege and its very rare he goes on the motorway....thanks for that
Old 13-03-2008, 18:00   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

has he put new oil in very recently??
yes slinky
the car has had new oil change and filter and head gasket
Old 13-03-2008, 18:10   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
yes slinky
the car has had new oil change and filter and head gasket
They could have spilled oil on the manifold..... smokes like buggery til it burns off!!

Miracles do happen!!

Old 13-03-2008, 21:53   #9
God Member

Oil makes a blue smoke, white is usually either water(possible head gasket on its way out) which would have the sluggish effect or a weak running engine can also smoke white, again a reason to be 'sluggish'. Rich mixture gives a black smoke. you don't mention how long he was on the motorway but could have been overheating/weak rad car blowing steam out the safety valve picked up by the air intake and then feeding through teh engine. what sort of car, how old etc? check plugs/points(if old enough) and the oil. if the oil filler/dipstick has a white 'mayo' type substance suspect the head gasket.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 23:02   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Entwisi is quite correct BUT if theres 3 white puffs of smoke in a Vertical line,it means............................Cavalry Are Coming.
Old 13-03-2008, 23:15   #11
God Member

you mentioned head gasket recently done, was teh head skimmed? probably warped if not. looks like you might have another bill if you can't get it fixed, check that oil cap and filler tube. Has it used any water in teh radiator?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 01:48   #12
God Member

from the title of the thread I thought we had a new Pope
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 09:21   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
you mentioned head gasket recently done, was teh head skimmed? probably warped if not. looks like you might have another bill if you can't get it fixed, check that oil cap and filler tube. Has it used any water in teh radiator?
I think the head wasnt skimmed, the job was done under warranty so luckily didnt have to pay....if it is the head gasket....again, will it not be under warranty for that part?...it was only done last month....just about 2 weeks ago!!

also he said the water levels are fine and the oil looks fine, do ya think he should ring the cowboys who did this and demand it fixed again....?

Ill go bloody mad if it is that again
Old 14-03-2008, 11:39   #14
Resting in Peace

Could possibly be a problem with the air filter, hey but i'm no machanic, just that something similar happened to me years ago
Old 14-03-2008, 12:20   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
With a diesel, if you put petrol in, it's not as disastrous. BUT you would have known about it if he has put diesel in a petrol
Its the other way round.

A lot of petrol in a diesel engine can burn the valves due to the heat that is produced - you can get away with a bit but it is not advised. Diesel pumps create very high pressure's ( 15,000 psi and higher ) in a modern common rail engine which is produced by very expensive fuel pumps, petrol in the fuel will not be good for the pump.
Diesel in a petrol engine will make it smoke a lot, worst case it won't run at all. After the fuel system is flushed out with petrol all should be ok without any damage except maybe sooty plugs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..