Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/)
-   -   Look to change my Digital Camera? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/look-to-change-my-digital-camera-14116.html)

Doug 07-08-2005 21:32

Look to change my Digital Camera?

I’m looking to replace my digital camera; I currently use a Sony DSC-S85 Cyber-shot which is getting a little worn. I can’t make my mind up between A Sony DSC-V3 and the Canon Powershot G6. I like the idea of the G6 because of its versatility but have never used Canon’s before. Maybe someone may have used these cameras or have used something better? Any help/advise would be welcomed……..:)

harwood red 07-08-2005 21:36

Re: Look to change my Digital Camera?

I've just actually purchased my first digi cam. It's a mid range one but I like the fact it has an inbuilt help guide, hee hee

Doug 07-08-2005 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red
I've just actually purchased my first digi cam. It's a mid range one but I like the fact it has an inbuilt help guide, hee hee

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots in the gallery Harwood.

harwood red 07-08-2005 21:42

hey thats going a bit far, still learning how to use it, but it looks nice (oooo that must be the first girly thing I've ever said!).

WillowTheWhisp 07-08-2005 22:10

I'm a Canon fan but I prefer the EOS range. I tend to have a little "point and shoot" Praktica (6Mp) which I take almost everywhere with me because it fits in a pocket. (So how come I forgot to take it with me to the Mela? I'd been using it earlier nd it was still next to my computer desk! Grrr.)

Anyway, in spite of what I just said about being a Canon fan out of the two you name there I think I would go for the Sony but have you looked at the lens options?

I'm sure Mick will have some serious opinions on the subject as he's a rather good photographer. One of these days I may bring a decent camera with me to an AccyWeb meeting.

Bagpuss 07-08-2005 22:25

Doug I'm a Canon user I have a Canon Powershot A95, excellent camera would recommend to anyone.

WillowTheWhisp 07-08-2005 22:36

It all depends on what you are actually looking for in a camera. Do you want a lot of manual control over what it does? Do you want to be able to change lenses? Do you want it to be able to shoot in RAW format?

If I were you Doug I would list down all my reasons for wanting a new camera and then see which one best fits that bill.

harwood red 07-08-2005 22:41

ooo willow and there was me picking mine cos it had an in-built manual and looked nice!!! Although it does have 6.1 mp

Doug 07-08-2005 22:48

Cheers folks…I’m not sure what to do at the moment. Neither of them is cheap and it’s going to get a bit of rough treatment with the hill walking etc, but I need a camera that can deal with the extremes of cold, rain, snow and heat. I sat on the top of Helvellyn back in May this year and even though it was a nice warm day the course wind on the summit took out the battery within minutes of putting it down. Fortunately I had most of the shots I wanted including the one that proved I got up there. I like the Sony, but the flash range available for the G6 is tempting….

John_Timmins 07-08-2005 22:50

wats the average amount of megapixels or wat gives a reasonalable picture cause im looking at the moment for a new camera but dont want to spend loads of cash

Doug 07-08-2005 23:00

I use to do quite a bit of work with 35mm Nikons, I had a brace of F90s an F801 and a F3 with all the singing and dancing bits that made them viable for small format wedding work. I got shut of them when I give it up because of the weight. I got the Sony for personal use and never used it for months, obviously the financial savings of have a Digital Camera for fun and family use is brilliant, but I want to take decent landscapes in the Lakes and Dales as a record of fell and hill walking trips, Air shows and the like…..

P.S. I have a load of backgrounds, Reflectors and Stands etc. All Lastolite and a O55 Manfrotto tripod with a 229 pro head for sale any use to anyone?

Doug 07-08-2005 23:05

John, the Sony I have at the moment is a 4.1 Mega pixel and it’s not that bad really. The ones I'm looking at are 7.1 mega pixel in the region of £400.OO. Samsung do a reasonable 6.1 mega pixel for about £150 ish......

Tinkerbelle 07-08-2005 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Air shows and the like…..

The air show pics I took were on a Sony DSC-P71 .......... I think :confused: he he he ........... I can't fault it the pics are always crystal clear and it's easy to use

Doug 07-08-2005 23:58

They were good pictures tinks.......

staggeringman 08-08-2005 01:20

what do you use in the bedroom tinks.........they are good quality as well!got a fuji finepix top camera just point and shoot ,take a good piccie and easy to follow with the software....thats what mick uses!