Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/)
-   -   photoshop (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/photoshop-29566.html)

mrjdallen 27-03-2007 08:24

photoshop

does anybody know were i can get a copy of photoshop with elements 5 cheap??

entwisi 27-03-2007 08:41

Re: photoshop

sorry, no idea on where you can get PS cheap, try looking on places liek DPReview.com

Have you tried/looked at "The GIMP", its free and pretty much just as powerful as PS

entwisi 27-03-2007 10:26

just found that Scan have photoshop elements on their "today only" page which are normally cheap.

http://scan.co.uk/todayonly/ section 12

HTH

SamF 28-03-2007 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 403865)
Have you tried/looked at "The GIMP", its free and pretty much just as powerful as PS

That is argueable. And even if you accept the idea that GIMP is near to photoshop's standard the bounty of resources and information on photoshop adds so much value to the program.

entwisi 29-03-2007 06:56

Ther is loads of resourecs for The GIMP(benefit of being open source) and its now supporting a lot of Photoshop add-ons.

I'd also argue that most photoshop users know less than half what it can do and use probably a quarter of what they do know.

Neil 29-03-2007 09:09

Try looking at this little search engine here

SamF 04-04-2007 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 404619)
Ther is loads of resourecs for The GIMP(benefit of being open source) and its now supporting a lot of Photoshop add-ons.

I'd also argue that most photoshop users know less than half what it can do and use probably a quarter of what they do know.

You have 10 seconds to travel 100m or you die. Would you rather just manage that on a scooter or be in the next town within half the time in a Bugatti ?

entwisi 05-04-2007 07:07

I think you'd find that I'be over the line on the scooter before you had got settled in the Bugatti.

I fail to see what that has got to do with using the GIMP over Photoshop. The GIMP is extensible and scriptable for those 'regular' events. Familiarity breeds contempt and clearly you clearly snub your nose up at the idea that you can get something for 'free'. If you are genuinely a power user of photoshop and have some 'must have' feature that GIMP doesn't support then lets hear it.

SamF 12-04-2007 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 407088)
If you are genuinely a power user of photoshop and have some 'must have' feature that GIMP doesn't support then lets hear it.

A career path. The ability to move onto the next level if you want to.

GIMP will do the mundane household tasks but what if you find yourself wanting to go furthur ? You are limited to the capabilities of freeware.

Start off with photoshop and everything you do is another step to professionalism.

entwisi 12-04-2007 19:35

Career path - understanding just how to do something is far better at career progression than knowing just 'one' tool

I see you can't come up with anything specific. In fact I don't believe you've ever even started GIMP or investgated its capabilities. As for the throwaway 'freeware' comment I don't see you whingeing about all the 'freeweare' web servers that keep the internet going, or the 'freeware' software like this forum software or the freeware 'Linux OS' that is so ruibbish its used across everything from mission critical banking systems to satellites to mobiles to come to think about it more systems and devices than I can even be bothered to start thinking about.

SamF 13-04-2007 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 410368)
I see you can't come up with anything specific.

CMYK

Advanced Brush Settings

Highpass

Animation

^ Off the top of my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by entiwisi

As for the throwaway 'freeware' comment I don't see you whingeing about all the 'freeweare' web servers that keep the internet going, or the 'freeware' software like this forum software or the freeware 'Linux OS' that is so ruibbish its used across everything from mission critical banking systems to satellites to mobiles to come to think about it more systems and devices than I can even be bothered to start thinking about.

Irrelevant, however Linux does seem to come into most of your posts so I shouldn't be suprised. Yes Linux and other freeware can do fantastic things, in some fields even exceeding software developed to sell however may I ask you the most commonly used OS ? The professionals choice in photo-editing ? Animation ? 3D Modelling ? Vector based work ?

Windows
Photoshop
Flash
3DS/C4D
Illustrator/Draw

All cost.

Yes sometimes freeware is just as good as if not better than it's costly alternative, but om the majority of cases you get what you pay for.