Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/)
-   -   What a small world. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/what-a-small-world-3370.html)

Len 10-03-2004 18:23

A small world.

Hi Aussie Gobbiner.

Just a quick one.
Where abouts in the Illawarra do you live?
Its just that I am familiar with that area myself from back in the 1970's.

Aussie Gobbiner 10-03-2004 23:41

Re: Photo Cropshop.

Hi Len, live down at Albion Park Rail near the railway station on the shores of Lake Illawarra. Lived here all my short life ( 40+ a few more! ).... Mum & Dad and siblings all come from ossy.. they immigrated here back in 1956... Didn't stay at the hostels though, stayed in a caravan on some farmers property in Dapto... Though I think my aunty & uncle stayed at the hostel for a time, I shall ask the old man about it.... unreal isn't it! Cheers Dave

Len 11-03-2004 00:31

Hi mate.
Nice to have you here.
We lived on the opposite side of Lake Illawarra to you. Lake Heights, off northcliff dr.
Small world isnt it.unbelievable
:ello:

Aussie Gobbiner 11-03-2004 00:37

Amazingly this isn't the first time this has happenned.... There used to be an ossy website for gobbiners ( not there any more ) the guy who ran it was a roofer and during the summer months he had replaced my aunties roof in ossy! This happened about 8 years ago now I think... Just never know

Aussie Gobbiner 11-03-2004 00:42

Len, you wouldn't recognise the place now! When you were here Wollongong was known as The City of Greater Wollongong.... Now it's a city and the little council of Shellharbour is also now a city....

Len 11-03-2004 01:07

I can't believe Shellharbour is a city it was so small. My mate's father kept a boat there and we used to go fishing. Have they extended out into the ocean?
They must be including Oakflats, Warilla and Albian Park. Into the city of Shellharbour.
Can you tell me are there any local forums in the Illawarra?
I must go to bed it's 1.00am . Up at 6 30.
Have a nice day mate.

ps
If you visit my site again it would be brill if you would sign my guest book .

Aussie Gobbiner 11-03-2004 01:27

Shellharbour as you know it is now Shellharbour Township and the city encompasses all those suburbs you mentioned plus more new ones! I don't know of any forums in the illawarra... only my pigeon forum :angel: ....
Cheers mate :cheers:
Dave

Len 13-03-2004 01:12

Re: What a small world.

Aussie Gobbiner

Just a thought, do you have any recent photos of your location you can put on here?. I'm sure that all of us here would be interested to see them. Lake Illawarra (The Illawarra)is a nice place.

mez 13-03-2004 01:43

i would be interested as im going to sydney ( the sububs winstonhills ) next easter ive done the blue mountains terrific i love auss but too old to move there i would tell anyone in there thirties GO its a great laid back life /// from wot i saw wen i was out there in 96///

Aussie Gobbiner 13-03-2004 01:48

Yep... I'll get some together and work out how to put them up here... Len, is there anyone place in particular that you remember vividly that I can go and take a snap of so you can see the changes?

Aussie Gobbiner 13-03-2004 03:19

1 Attachment(s)
Photos were taken with my Fuji Finepix S602 zoom and resized to 640x480:

Looking north towards Wollongong over part of Lake Illawarra. Taken from top of Stoney Range which is the big hill between Warilla and Oak Flats near the the old water tank. On the other side of the lake is Dapto and Berkeley.

Aussie Gobbiner 13-03-2004 03:26

2 Attachment(s)
Now that I see that it works!

Here are some more.....

pic_01 is a local bowls club in the middle of winter..
pic_03 is looking north over Warilla towards Port Kembla.. in the distance you can see the ERS chimney stack which when built back in the 1960 something was the tallest in the southern hemisphere.

Aussie Gobbiner 13-03-2004 03:37

1 Attachment(s)
This is me old dad... 83 years old this year, legally blind and still doing his woodwork. An old gobbin and WWII fighter pilot (Hurricanes) ... Born at 154 New Lane, Ossy, 1921.... Anyone recognise him.... Before immigrating to Australia he lived at Brown Cow Cottage, 21 Grove st, Wham Brook Cottage, Jack House, Hoyle Bottom, 3 Eagle St and finally at 56 Trinity St... he certainly got around!

Aussie Gobbiner 13-03-2004 05:16

1 Attachment(s)
Using photoshop I joined several photos together to give this panoramic view. Looking north to up the coast from Stoney Range.

Aussie Gobbiner 13-03-2004 05:23

1 Attachment(s)
Using PSP I joined several photos to give this panoramic view of Kiama headland where the famous Kiama Blow Hole is located.