Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/)
-   -   photos from xd picture card? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f90/photos-from-xd-picture-card-37699.html)

lindsay ormerod 12-03-2008 14:23

photos from xd picture card?

Right, well to start off I am a total novice at this so please use short and simple words !
I have a very old but reliable Fuji digital camera, I have previously put photos from a 64mb Fuji xd card onto my pc with no problem, i now have a bigger memory card, an Olympus xd 512mb , I am using the same pc and the same card reader yet I can't get the photos up. if I pit theold card into the card reader it works so it's not the reader.
What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it ?

entwisi 12-03-2008 14:31

Re: photos from xd picture card?

It will be down to the formatting of the card, you will probably have to use the camera via USB to download them this time, then put the card in the reader and format it from teh PC it should then work fine from that point on.When you bought it it was probably formatted in FAT ro FAT16, if you use teh PC it will do it in FAT32 which is backwards compatible.

lindsay ormerod 12-03-2008 14:36

I think I understand that, so now I have the bijou problem of finding a usb lead, not got one with camera ! Maybe my mum still has it somewhere?
If not, are they universal or am I gonna be looking for one for the specific camera?
Thanks for your help btw, karma sent !

Neil 12-03-2008 14:55

Your PC should read the card even if it is FAT16. I have to specifically format SD cards as FAT16 to work in my sat nav

Mick 12-03-2008 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 544724)
I think I understand that, so now I have the bijou problem of finding a usb lead, not got one with camera ! Maybe my mum still has it somewhere?
If not, are they universal or am I gonna be looking for one for the specific camera?
Thanks for your help btw, karma sent !

i have one you can borrow its off my fuji camera or bring your camera down and i will put the photo's on cd for you

lindsay ormerod 12-03-2008 15:22

Thanks guys, I think I am doing it right, I am clicking on removable disc drive G , it works for the other card but not this one ??:confused:

entwisi 13-03-2008 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 544730)
Your PC should read the card even if it is FAT16. I have to specifically format SD cards as FAT16 to work in my sat nav

Should being the operative word. Seen this a number of times on Windows(guess what happens on Linux :D ) and its always been fixed by formatting through the PC.

Neil 13-03-2008 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 545276)
guess what happens on Linux :D

Do you have to type a command of about 100 characters with a word something like mount in it and about 20 \ and loads of paths in it?

Or have they finally made Linux work for non geeks? :rolleyes:

entwisi 13-03-2008 09:10

Not a single command mate, automount is very good to the point of being more reliable than windows. Did my EOS 400D work in Vista? Nope, Ubuntu? yes sir, what would you like to do with your pictures? The beauty of having teh under teh covers stuff that you can't get at in Windows is that you can override stuff if you choose, you can even configure it such that you can have full read/write but kids can only have read access. You can even set it so that a device always presents itself as a specific device name, e.g. you might have a camera, a usb c rad reader, a usb stick, an external HD. In Windows it decides what 'letter' to assign it as, in Linux you can set each one based on UUID which never changes so no matter what oredr you shove them in they will ALWAYS be where you expect them.

Neil 13-03-2008 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 545310)
Not a single command mate

That must be quite recent then, what a couple of years?

andrewb 13-03-2008 11:34

Do you use gentoo Neil?

Most distros aint needed command line ever since I started using them!