Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 09:26   #1

Any professionals out there???

i am looking to start photography as a job, any idea where i can train or any body willing for a young devoted person to work with them for a week (free of charge) inordwer to gain experiance and see whats its like doing it for a full time job???
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-07-2007, 09:31   #2
God Member

Re: Any professionals out there???

First.. I am not a proffesional and I dont take pics full time. But I do know that you need to add more info... Have you got your own equipment is the biggest question (most photographers are freelance).. What level are you at now.. done any photography courses... I would say add some more info if you want to get a bite.. Also what type of photography are you interested in... eg wedding and sports are totally different and require different equipment and skills.

Have you been to the accy camera club friday nights?

Contact the local papers accy observer and telegraph... no idea if they do this or not..

then find some photography forums that are UK biased and ask in there.. always lots of students asking to go with wedding photographers ect
Old 04-07-2007, 09:48   #3
God Member

There are some online photograpy diplomas, a friend of mine is doing one. he feels it was value for money and does make you learn the basics properly before letting you go off all creative like.

I love photography as well and in a perfect world I think I'd enjoy it as a job but I fear it wouldn't pay me anywhere near as well as what I do currently so its one of those 'when I want to wind down near retirement' things. I'd love to spend a day with you Kipax to get a feel of what its like trying to capture live sport.(I think people would think I'm a bit weird if I just turned up at Wilsons playing fields one day).

I keep meaning to get to the camera club meets but never seem to get there. Do you still go?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:01   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
There are some online photograpy diplomas, a friend of mine is doing one. he feels it was value for money and does make you learn the basics properly before letting you go off all creative like.
thats why I said he should list what he already has done... the post he made makes it look like he woke up this morning and thought.. hmm photography.. that looks easy i wanna do that

Quote:
I love photography as well and in a perfect world I think I'd enjoy it as a job but I fear it wouldn't pay me anywhere near as
Some get paid very well
But once you take the step from hobby to paid.. all the fun goes.. your suddenly under preassure to get the picture absoloutly right.. just changes it

Quote:
I'd love to spend a day with you Kipax to get a feel of what its like trying to capture live sport.(I think people would think I'm a bit weird if I just turned up at Wilsons playing fields one day).
they would and your welcome to anytime mate.. but sports is a whole different thing to say a wedding.. the key is know your sport and know your players... i went to american football the other week and if i hadnt latched onto the photographer already there i wouldnt have got a single shot with the ball i fear.

Quote:
I keep meaning to get to the camera club meets but never seem to get there. Do you still go?
Nope... but only because I ahve so much on fridays.. mainly my tasks as the family taxi driver with trips to boys brigade, footy practice..blah blah
Old 04-07-2007, 10:29   #5
Resident Waffler

I once had the notion that it would be a fun thing to be a professional photographer but then I did the photos of a friend's wedding and decided never again!

You're absolutely right about it taking the fun out of it. Trying to round up stray grannies and aunties and get people to stay put drove me up the wall!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I once had the notion that it would be a fun thing to be a professional photographer but then I did the photos of a friend's wedding and decided never again!

You're absolutely right about it taking the fun out of it. Trying to round up stray grannies and aunties and get people to stay put drove me up the wall!
I noticed that at a wedding i went to willow
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37   #7
Resident Waffler

Yeah they were a rebellious rabble weren't they?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post

but sports is a whole different thing to say a wedding.. .
And press photography is a whole different thing as well. That's what I do a lot of.

There's also product photography - quite lucrative but you'd need a studio for that.

I'm happy for you to come to either Rhyddings Fun Day or the Mela in the next few weeks and you can shadow me for a short while whilst I take some press style shots.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm happy for you to come to either Rhyddings Fun Day or the Mela in the next few weeks and you can shadow me for a short while whilst I take some press style shots.
have I been sacked ?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:42   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
have I been sacked ?
No, you haven't been sacked - you know you're the best at taking live action stuff and I wouldn't even presume to compete - grovel, grovel.

Just thought I'd concentrate on taking a few 'press' type shots myself.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:46   #11
God Member

hehe... I am looking forward to photographing my 3rd mela.. However on a less happy note.. I see the blackburn one is cancelled
Old 04-07-2007, 10:46   #12
God Member

I've done a couple of weddings over the years(when on film as well so extra pressure to get the shots 'right' but neither were 'pressure' ones with any expectation of the output) and enjoyed the whole experience. I do believe its important to get one of the 'family' allocated to do the ushering of people so you don't end up being in the bad books with everyone, they seem to accept it from a family member but not from some stroppy photographer

Tony, I'll PM you about coming with you sometime....

Old 04-07-2007, 10:47   #13
God Member

Yes, they've made the decision early because Witton Park is so waterlogged. Good decision for us though!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:52   #14
God Member

Quote:
I've done a couple of weddings over the years(when on film as well so extra pressure to get the shots 'right' but neither were 'pressure' ones with any expectation of the output)

You ahve to be brave to do a wedding.. Theres no second chances and the happy couple will expect perfect pics.. How would you feel if you got home and the film was ruind (spello) or the memory card corrupt and because of you the couple have no pics... thats the scary bit.. ruining someone wedding memories.... it happens.

I am at cricket most weekends ATM . KSH joined me the other week at ossy immanuel.. dunno if he got any tips off me though .. maybe womens footy on sunday if it goes ahead this weekend... ya need a fast lens for sport though.. currently have the happy ability to use f4 in this light..... cricket needs the obvious long lens... i have 420mm at my disposal
Old 04-07-2007, 11:45   #15
God Member

my longest at the minute is 200mm f4. I have teleconvertors but I don't like using them. I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice 300 f4.

I'm busy this weekend as I'm oncall from work and I know I already have a load of stuff to do. (Friday night/sat am I've jobs at 9:30, 11:30, 1:30 and 6:30 so not much sleep for me that night!), I'll PM you when I have a weekend free to see what your up to.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..