Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 18:35   #1

Question downsizing photos.

hi , can someone tell me which is the best software to download for free so i can downsize them and than put them in the photo gallery. marg.
marg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2006, 19:20   #2
God Member

Re: downsizing photos.

If your doing a few at once then try this

http://www.freeimagebrowser.com/resize/
Old 12-08-2006, 20:43   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg.
hi , can someone tell me which is the best software to download for free so i can downsize them and than put them in the photo gallery. marg.
If its only for the gallery on here you don't need to resize it, just upload it and the web site software does it for you

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 23:05   #4
God Member

Yep agree with KSH but if you want some powerful software thats free, google for 'The Gimp'

Almost as good as photoshop and a good few hundred quid cheaper!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 23:13   #5
God Member

eeerm gimp is overkill just for resizing images as was asked.. otherwise yes excellent software

as for uploading the full size and letting the gallery resize.. thats bad advice... what if you ahve x 20 8 MB files or more... thats stupid to upload 160+ MB of files.... resize then upload..
Old 12-08-2006, 23:30   #6
God Member

but as its scriptable it would actually be an ideal solution for someone with 20 8M images, as you don't need to do each one individually

As you are aware, I use Linux and I have a wonderful perl script that does resizing and even generates a 'index.html' for all images, totally configurable and quick.

pix2tn for those interested.

Old 13-08-2006, 01:40   #7
God Member

I write perl... I know... But it still has to load the 160MB before it can resize... thats my point.. no matter what a script does to a pic.. it has to get it onto the server to do it... seem a little silly uploading all that when you can resize yerself... leave it for one or two
Old 13-08-2006, 13:30   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
but as its scriptable it would actually be an ideal solution for someone with 20 8M images, as you don't need to do each one individually

As you are aware, I use Linux and I have a wonderful perl script that does resizing and even generates a 'index.html' for all images, totally configurable and quick.

pix2tn for those interested.
I wrote a php/shell script for the same thing! Rawr!
Old 13-08-2006, 17:54   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I write perl... I know... But it still has to load the 160MB before it can resize... thats my point.. no matter what a script does to a pic.. it has to get it onto the server to do it... seem a little silly uploading all that when you can resize yerself... leave it for one or two
Actually I was talking about a script that I would run on my PC before uploading,If you want to re-read my OP I did say that I would use something to resize them on the client, There is also no reason why perl wouldn't run under windows.

Also , whilst its slightly wasteful of bandwidth in these days of cheap megabytes its only us old timers that remember the waits of uploading a couple of Kilobytes

Old 13-08-2006, 18:27   #10
God Member

sorry didnt catch the do on client side bit

I am a bit perl rusty nowerdays.. PHP has taken over and that reminds me why perl is good.. it aint just for the web. people still download my domain checking script after all these years...its a top downloader and still gets mentioned on usenet... I made it years and years ago while learning perl.... first real time multiple domain checker i think
Old 13-08-2006, 18:49   #11
God Member

I tend to be mainly Jacl/Jython at work. WebSphere is moving from teh former to the latter for its internal scripting. So all those scripts we have created over the last 5 years need rewriting.

Old 17-08-2006, 10:27   #12

hi, took your advise kipax and downsized some of my photos on the website you mentioned. thanks.marg.
marg. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..